Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Predictions

Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
    Well, the good ideal fairy landed at FLETC. Our policy in the field is typically "one long gun per four agents in the field". My office has 200 agents, so I get 50 rifles to issue out. FLETC decided since 75% of the students wont get a rifle issued, to drop ALL rifle training from the basic academy, and leave it to the field office.
    I thought you guys dropped rifle in your agency follow-on course. Are you saying that FLETC dropped rifle and shotgun as well? That'd be a real shame, since every LEO should at least have that familiarization on a pump shotgun and AR-15 even if just for the purposes of knowing how to make safe those platforms when encountered in the field....and the majority of FLETCs client agencies (as measured by number of agencies like all the random OIGs, not number of students) will not offer that training since they don't have rifles themselves.

I remember the shotguns being regular 28" barreled 870s that looked like something out of Cool Hand Luke, and the AR15s were some odd junk brand like Double Star or Hesse, along those lines. No government contract Colts or FNs.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

HSI dropped the rifle in basic class, no clue what Fletc is teaching in CITP for long gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

I think logically it has to raise hit rates. When talking about non-shooters, the concept of balancing the front sight in the rear notch while maintaining focus on the front sight is a lot of steps. Whereas, I say, focus on the target, where the dot goes your bullet will go.

We’ve all heard the “aim small, miss small” mantra. With a 2-6 MOA dot, you’re still covering no less ground than the 14-18 MOA front sight.

I agree with most of what’s been said, training has to be there. With quality training, the hit rates in both OIS and quals will go up.

I’m not sure that I’m ready to sign off on the anecdotal evidence from BWC yet, at least in my area, the guys with the optional RDS tend to be the switched on shooters, so the fact that they’re achieving high hit rates seems like it could be a false correlation between the RDS and performance. Having said that, and it’s already been said, Sage Dynamics had promising data in the white paper.

User Tag List