Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Predictions

Site Supporter
    Not LE, so I'll keep my questions here to a minimum...but what is everyone thinking about the idea of criminals being equipped with RDS handguns? It's so commonplace nowadays that we have guns from Taurus and SCCY that come mounted with a dot for fairly low prices.

As a regular bloke with a CCW, it's definitely got me wondering if the "average" gunfight is going to look significantly different in the coming days. Whether LE or armed citizen.

Kyle Defor and Scott Jedlinski, recently increased their standards because of the high percentage that were passing them with relative ease. However some of this is due to being training junkies. That being said thoughI think dots get more people better quicker when they put in the work. People that don't have the best vision can still be good shooters with a dot where they would just be mediocre with irons.
    Are you loyal to the constitution or the “institution”?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Not LE, so I'll keep my questions here to a minimum...but what is everyone thinking about the idea of criminals being equipped with RDS handguns? It's so commonplace nowadays that we have guns from Taurus and SCCY that come mounted with a dot for fairly low prices.

As a regular bloke with a CCW, it's definitely got me wondering if the "average" gunfight is going to look significantly different in the coming days. Whether LE or armed citizen.
    In the vast majority of instances there will be little to no effect because / no training. These people weren’t using iron sights - why start now.

The last “bad guy” seizure equipped Glock I saw IRL was also equipped with an auto switch and a 33 round mag pretty much negating the RDS.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Blackburn View Post
    People that don't have the best vision can still be good shooters with a dot where they would just be mediocre with irons.
    100% me, right there. In the last 3 years my eyesight has made shooting at 25 yards harder. 5 minutes with @Kyle Reese's RDS equipped Glock and I was convinced I'd be back to scoring 100% every qual, instead of 98%.

We ran into some pretty substantial funding issues in the last few years, and I don't imagine we'll get RDSs until someone creates an ADA lawsuit over it for reasonable accommodations.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    In the vast majority of instances there will be little to no effect because / no training. These people weren’t using iron sights - why start now.

The last “bad guy” seizure equipped Glock I saw IRL was also equipped with an auto switch and a 33 round mag pretty much negating the RDS.
    I'd agree with HCM. With some notable exceptions, bad guys do not rely on marksmanship nor even sighted fire. When they win, it is because the officer or citizen is taken by surprise, often at point shooting range, or because the officer or citizen is reluctant to use appropriate force or tactic because of ethical or legal concerns.

The opposition seems to focus more on the coolness factor of their weapons (even more than we do). Thirty-three round Glock magazines seem popular as well as laser sights and, of course full automatic conversions.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    We saw an 10-20% increase in qualifications scores and two years later we’ve maintained those scores. More significantly, Locally we have not had anyone using an optic fail to qualify since the switch. Our agency mandated a minimum of eight hours of transition training and gave the option for individual offices to expand that to 16 or 24 hours. Locally we provided a 16 hour (2 day) transition class.
    I'm glad to hear that scores stayed up. I have concerns that we will see a bump in scores, due to effect of additional training, for the transition, followed by a drop later. We saw that in our SIG to Glock transition.. Initially scores were higher, after a 3 day transition training, but a year later average scores were back to the same level as before. So its to good hear that might not be true during our PMO transition.

I'm also hoping we devote at least 16 hours to the transition. I'd prefer 24, but one of the reasons we've been delayed in getting PMOs, is concern over the time, and money, needed to do the transition. The 24 hour transition class we had for.going from SIGs to Glocks is often cited in those debates.

The irony is I think we could have/should have spent less time on that transition, but the.transition to PMOs would.justify that time.

Great discussion, great thoughts.

Agreed 100% that training is more important than gear. The switch to semi autos was not game changing, the switches to/from/back again various calibers not game changing, striker fired/Sa/DA etc it all comes back to training/lack of.

Cops that are shooters are going to improve. It's the other 99% that I'm most concerned about.

Will be curious to watch it unfold over the next 4-6-8 years.

Quote Originally Posted by konkapot View Post

Cops that are shooters are going to improve. It's the other 99% that I'm most concerned about.
    It's interesting to see whether or not instructor programs address those issues.

I would hope so but am not optimistic.

Red dots are a unique opportunity to make some improvements in firearms training....but it's gonna take some work and some growth on the part of instructors and some better cognition on the part of officers.

An instructor at a different site said "red dots are a passing fad."

A student yesterday was concerned that "My gun is broken. It keeps having malfunctions." She had forgotten the SHE was the one who put dummy rounds in her magazines.

Those two anecdotal statements tell me that this is going to be an uphill climb.

Quote Originally Posted by konkapot View Post
    An instructor at a different site said "red dots are a passing fad."
    From a purely shooting standpoint, red dots on pistols (and rifles) are superior to irons because they allow on target hits even with off centered eye alignment.

They’re less constrained to a singular head and eye position to get a good shot (assuming parallax free, you can take good shots using any point in the window). The larger the optic window, the more forgiving the alignment.

This allows earlier on-target information to the shooter.

User Tag List