Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Et Tu PSA? Armscor / PSA Admiral 1911

Et Tu PSA? Armscor / PSA Admiral 1911

PSA joins the basement budget discount 1911 market with a rebranded Armscor.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/guns...iral-1911.html

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

In the last few months I have seen several Rock Island/Armscor guns at our club and had the opportunity to shoot two of them. I was positively impressed. Apparently the work Fred Craig, a famous pistol smith in USPSA circles, has gone over to the Philippines and done to help them build 1911's correctly has been effective. I have no datapoints on the durability of those guns.
    Support the Second Amendment Foundation and the Firearms Policy Coalition, join and give!

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    In the last few months I have seen several Rock Island/Armscor guns at our club and had the opportunity to shoot two of them. I was positively impressed. Apparently the work Fred Craig, a famous pistol smith in USPSA circles, has gone over to the Philippines and done to help them build 1911's correctly has been effective. I have no datapoints on the durability of those guns.
    In previous iterations the guns were known to be relatively soft. I wonder if Armscor has addressed this. If so (and assuming the guns run okay) these should be a good budget product.

I had a bumper chromed .38 Super that I had converted to 9mm. I shot it in USPSA single stack for awhile. I made A Classification shooting minor with it. It was a fun and reliable gun. I should have kept it.

Site Supporter
    Comparing this new offering to the Springfield Operator as shown in that screen cap is just dumb IMO. I think there is a valid niche for the lower priced imports and I owned a Tisas -- but they should advertise them for what they are.

I say this as the owner of a recent production Operator and Springfield did it right with this gun. It's really a very nicely built pistol made in America, and I consider it a good value.

Site Supporter
    Tisas vs RIA?

Quote Originally Posted by Noah View Post
    Tisas vs RIA?
    Armscor has been making 1911s and 1911 parts for a long time. They generally have a decent reputation. STI even sold a version of the Armscor called the Spartan. It was actually an OK gun. They haven't been perfect however. Aside from the soft metallurgy the guns have had occasional feed issues, etc. But by several accounts Rock Island has made some strides in general QC, etc. Does the better QC carry over to PSA?

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    Comparing this new offering to the Springfield Operator as shown in that screen cap is just dumb IMO. I think there is a valid niche for the lower priced imports and I owned a Tisas -- but they should advertise them for what they are.
    Yeah. I generally like this fellow's reviews. I think he does a pretty good job. This one could have quite easily been just as good without mentioning the Operator at all. Or if he wanted to do a comparison he should have mentioned forged vs cast and all that.

In addition to my bumper chrome pimp gun mentioned above I did have Virgil Tripp tune up one of the early Rock Island Hi Cap 1911s. This particular version had an external extractor that I believe was based on the CZ75 extractor. With a little tuning to gun and mags the pistol ran great. It was my backup Limited gun. I used it a couple times but eventually sold it to fund an STI.

The down side to all these guns is that they don't really retain value especially when custom work is involved. But I think as long as the consumer goes into it thinking the resultant firearm will be a consumable and not a family heirloom it can work out well.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Yeah. I generally like this fellow's reviews. I think he does a pretty good job. This one could have quite easily been just as good without mentioning the Operator at all. Or if he wanted to do a comparison he should have mentioned forged vs cast and all that.
    I believe he did mention the Springfield was forged while the RIA was cast.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post

I say this as the owner of a recent production Operator and Springfield did it right with this gun. It's really a very nicely built pistol made in America, and I consider it a good value.

They say on their site 'Made for PSA by Armscor'.

User Tag List