Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WorkSharp Ken Onion upgrades

WorkSharp Ken Onion upgrades

I purchased a WorkSharp KO with the belt grinder attachment a while back. It sharpens knives fast once you get a hang of the technique to use it.

One of the first mods I got for the thing was a foot activated pedal. The sharpener runs pretty loud and having it constantly running while you’re sharpening gets annoying. Now, I just have it running with a press of my foot only when I’m making a pass with the blade.

I also got a belt cleaner from Harbor Freight. It’s basically a giant pencil eraser that you run against the belt and it removes any deposits in the belt.

I recently discovered a 3D printed blade guide attachment made a guy that goes by PrintSharpCo on ETSY. It basically raises and extends the blade guide on the belt grinder attachment. With the original system, you lay the blade on the guide, then lift it off the guide and use muscle memory to apply it to the belt. This new attachment sits right up to the belt, so you just rest the blade on it and run it across the belt! I’ll post a review once I get my hands on it.

Here’s a pic of the blade guide I have on order… I’ll report back once I get my hands on lt.

Name:  IMG_0018.jpg
Views: 568
Size:  39.0 KB

My PrintSharp attachment arrived today. I’m sure there will be a learning curve to using it, but so far, I find it easier to use with wider bladed knives like kitchen knives. It was harder to keep knives with narrower blades on the guide. For smaller blades, I would just pull the top plate of the attachment back and use it much like the original setup… place blade on platform, lift and apply to belt.

Messed around with the Print Sharp a little more and I think figure out MY use for it. I’m going to use it mostly as a riser for the existing Work Sharp plate and use it the same way as the original plate. I wont use it as a tool rest while sharpening knives…

I find the raised plate helps with sharpening off the left side. With the original design, my hands would often hit the tools handle, causing me to readjust my grip as I prepared to bring the knife to the belt. The Print Sharp alleviates that.

Overall, I don’t regret dropping the $40 for this. Apparently the guy that designed and made these is a small operation and I’m always down to support innovative people.

I have a feeling following this thread is going to cause me to dig my KO out of storage and will eventually cost me some change. I need to just find some old knives and sacrifice them to the learning curve

Quote Originally Posted by Pnut View Post
    Here’s a pic of the blade guide I have on order… I’ll report back once I get my hands on lt.

Name:  IMG_0018.jpg
Views: 568
Size:  39.0 KB
    Do you have a link to the blade guide? My google fu must be weak, I’m not seeing anything like that.

Quote Originally Posted by omega9 View Post
    Do you have a link to the blade guide? My google fu must be weak, I’m not seeing anything like that.
    Very weak I found it in 4 searches 😎 https://www.etsy.com/listing/1586913149/
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Still getting used to using the new blade guide. I made a small mod for it though. If you put too much downward pressure when pulling the knife to the right, the guide can move. I bent a small piece of kydex to act as a lock for it…

Name:  IMG_2554.jpg
Views: 363
Size:  58.1 KBName:  IMG_2553.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  64.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Pnut View Post
    Still getting used to using the new blade guide. I made a small mod for it though. If you put too much downward pressure when pulling the knife to the right, the guide can move. I bent a small piece of kydex to act as a lock for it…

Name:  IMG_2554.jpg
Views: 363
Size:  58.1 KBName:  IMG_2553.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  64.1 KB
    Give the guy some feedback so he can consider modifying his design! Maybe you will get a cut of the action. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    Very weak I found it in 4 searches 😎 https://www.etsy.com/listing/1586913149/
    Thank you! I was searching for PrintSharpCo and totally missed the Etsy part.

User Tag List