Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ruger Security Six, Vintage 1978

Quote Originally Posted by onehalfmvsquared View Post
    Is it true that Ruger no longer supports that series? are we on our own with regard to repairs and parts?
    Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Security Six parts are still pretty easily available on ebay and gunbroker. I believe you can buy a complete trigger group and other odds and ends for under $100.
    Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    Ruger has not supported the -Six models for several years. However, as Jerry Kuhnhausen states in "The Ruger Revolvers A Shop Manual" not much goes wrong with the -Sixes, and Wolff makes both hammer and trigger springs. Regarding sights, the Ruger OEM standard adjustable rear sight (for the GP100, etc) is the same for the Security Six, and there are other quality aftermarket sights available, such as from Hamilton Bowen. Other parts are available from Numrich, eBay, etc. A -Six is easy to use and maintain; they're one of the few out of production guns that I would have little hesitation in recommending for unlimited general use.

Best, Jon
    There's also the various "gunbuster" sellers on GB that sell everything but the frame as a package. I believe I saw some last time I had reason to go looking for parts for another project.

I've (mostly) stopped chasing the "perfect" carry and HD pistols. I didn't try any Sixes during my 4" .357 rabbit hole journey and since none of the others grabbed me enough to be "keepers", I'll probably take a trip down the Six trail next year.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Out of the 16 Security Six models listed by Jerry Kuhnhausen, I literally can't think of any that are bad or undesirable.

... but finding any grips but the OEM "splinter" grips is exceptionally difficult-you're best bet is to settle with a Tyler T-Grip or similar insert to assist in grip shootability.

For current grips, I'd probably go with one of Hogue's offerings in either rubber or hardwood, or Nill if they have any available for the -Six.

Best, Jon
    Quote Originally Posted by CSW View Post

I've had rubber Hogue grips, the skinny factory walnuts, and several pair of Pachymeyer's, including a pair from Ruger, with the birds on the grip. I've never found 'the' grip for it, but it's a close tie between the Hogues and the Pachymeyers.
    Is it true that Ruger no longer supports that series? are we on our own with regard to repairs and parts?

Grips were probably one of my primary issues in the dark past. I really liked the older Smith K targets. Nothing available for the Rugers felt anything like them. The service grips that came on most of them were comfortable, much more so than the service or magna S&W grips, but not great for shooting magnums. The factory targets were chunky. The Herretts were too skinny at the top rear part, Pachmayrs were generally too thin at the back, and Hogues were off the radar for most of us back then, but their normal offerings dont work for me in any event.... If id known then what I did later I would have tried reshaping the factory targets and probably got a set to work for me.

Also in the "If Id known then" category, the pachmayr compac grips for round butt speed sixes are comfortable for me and still available, and may be the gateway to trying another security or speed. The relative ease of making a ruger square butt into a round butt opens up the security guns to their use.

Again, theres a lot of parts on ebay and GB, and very reasonably priced. One can easily get all the working parts in hand for under $100. Transfer bars are the only real concern I have, as Ive broken several in Ruger single actions, but havent heard of them breaking in the security series. Dont know if they do, just havent heard about it, but having at least one in hand would make me sleep better, easily done by buying a complete trigger group for $40 or less or group parts lot for similar money.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Smith & Wessons Tested By Border Patrol In 1984 Correction...

"Comparatively, concurrently tested Smith & Wesson 63-3 3" revolvers encountered multiple issues and failures, to the point that the testing of them had to cease at the 2,000-2,500 round points..."

My bad-make those Smith & Wesson Model 65-3 models that were tested.

Best, Jon
    Sponsored by Check-Mate Industries and BH Spring Solutions
    Certified Glock Armorer

On a newly acquired -Six, I think that the only things that might need to be proactively addressed would be:

1. Gunsmith check for safety and in-spec, corrected as needed (with probably little if anything needed);

2. Grips (especially if using .357 magnum);

3. Sights (if desired)-as long as the OEM ones are fully functional, replacing them is likely more of a want than a need

4. Possibly getting a backup trigger return spring from Wolff-or just proactively replacing the OEM one, and having another as backup.

Best, Jon
    Certified Glock Armorer

"Comparatively, concurrently tested Smith & Wesson 63-3 3" revolvers encountered multiple issues and failures, to the point that the testing of them had to cease at the 2,000-2,500 round points..."

My bad-make those Smith & Wesson Model 65-3 models that were tested.

Best, Jon
    I believe @Outpost75 was present for those tests.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    I believe @Outpost75 was present for those tests.
    It would be great if he chimes in on this. I've got the final report, but to hear about it from someone amongst us who was there would be illuminating.

Best, Jon
    Certified Glock Armorer

I'm looking for a FO front sight for a Speed Six 23/4". Anyone knows who makes a good one? I heard an FO sight for a P89 Ruger would work with little or no fitting. Anyone have any first hand knowledge on that FO install? Thanks!

Numrich is a lifesaver for older parts: https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-man...ger/security-6

I picked up enough spare parts from ebay to rebuild my -Six 7 or 8 times. I got a couple of cylinders, a couple of mainsprings, 5 or 6 hammers and trigger groups from one seller for ~$150. I wanted enough parts that I will not be concerned about parts breakage when I shoot it.

Quote Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
    I picked up enough spare parts from ebay to rebuild my -Six 7 or 8 times. I got a couple of cylinders, a couple of mainsprings, 5 or 6 hammers and trigger groups from one seller for ~$150. I wanted enough parts that I will not be concerned about parts breakage when I shoot it.
    How long until they morph into two more Sixes?🤣
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

User Tag List