Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Mossberg 590 shockwave 410

The Streamlight forend wont work as the action bar and tube assembly is far smaller on the 410 model.
    I have both the 12 and 410 models and there is some part interchangeability.
    The scope rail mounting holes, front sight and safety are the same size for example. The stocks and forends do not interchange unfortunately.
    I have a bunch of ammo test pattern I’ll get some pics up of later today.
    I think my particular 410 model does pattern better then fatdogs

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Mutt View Post
    Dunno if it would work with a 410 tube
    Nope, none of them do, Streamlight, Surfire, etc. That would have been the easy button, the GG&G light mounts for Mossbergs do not fit the 410 tube and cap. I have a lot of pic rail real estate in front of the Holosun sight available, first for the light I am headed down the road of finding a side mount that is low profile on the pic rail plane, have 3 variations on order to try and I figure I can mount lots of light options currently in my inventory, some include light/laser, with a tailcap switch on the grip area for thumb activation....experiments ahead....I will start posting some pictures of the gun when I have more of this figured out....
    Support the Second Amendment Foundation and the Firearms Policy Coalition, join and give!

Quote Originally Posted by diananike View Post
    The Streamlight forend wont work as the action bar and tube assembly is far smaller on the 410 model.

The stocks and forends do not interchange unfortunately.
    So I guess that means it won't take an SGA stock if someone wanted to SBS one...
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

I first got a Shockwave 410 in the summer of 2021.
    I had been using a TAC14 for a couple of years as my boating, truck and camping gun.
    I had rigged up a rear recoil strap similar to demonstrated concepts and it enabled me to handle the recoil of target loads and low recoil slugs or buckshot but it was still way too much for my wife to handle.
    I lift weights daily and work in Wildfire management so represent a user group that can handle some recoil but my wife is quite slight and I envisioned my daughter using it as well so the 12 gauge was off the table.
    The Shockwave 410 shocked me (pun intended) by how small and skinny it was and lightweight.
    It was also very easy to handle the recoil of even the 3” shells for my wife without the need to install a recoil strap.
    I’m debating adding some Howies hockey tape to the grip only because theres no texture and a bit more grip would be nice.

I had a few feeding problems with it right off the bat. It fed and cycled 3” federal, winchester and Remington fine but it choked on 2.5” Imperial and Challenger birdshot loads. I had it sent in for warranty service as I determined that they hadnt cut the left extractor groove in the chamber deep enough. It also required some chamber finishing work for feeding. I could have done it myself with jewelers files but it was under warranty.
    The other issue I had was it shot too high with the stock low bead. I was going to mount a red dot like fatdog did but was intrigued by the highball safety sight kit from defender tactical. It comes with a higher bead and metal safety with rear sight built in.
    I installed it and it brought my patterns right in line with the sights.
    The reciever is quite small but I fit a tiny 2 shot velcro rifle card to hold an extra 2 shells.

Well I thought I had a few more pattern testing sheets then I found. The 7yd patterns are from before I got the defender highball installed so you can see its shooting a couple of inches high at 7yds. The 10yd patterns are post sight upgrade and its now right on.
    I have patterned the gun out to 25yds and the federal and winchester 5 pellet loads stayed on the 8.5x11” printer sheet.
    Aguila 2.5” 4 pellet 00 was throwing pellets off paper by 10yds.
    Hornady Critical defence doesn’t stabilize the hollowpoint bullet so it spins and deviates from the pattern, no good in the cylinder bore and likely designed for the judge revolver.
    My example loves federal and winchester 3” 5 pellet 000. Almost a single hole at 7yds. Opening up to just a couple of inches at 10. At 15 its not much bigger then a fist. I also feel like the 5 pellet 3” loads are about as close as we can get to true shotgun terminal ballistics with a 410. Even if it can only hold 4 in the tube 5x5 is 25 and 6x4 2.5” is only 24 pellets (like one pellet makes a difference LOL)
    Birdshot does not do well in the cylinder bore. 10yd patterns are already getting pretty thin for grouse or rabbit. My M6 survival rifle with full choke can get a tight enough pattern to hunt out to 20yds, the shockwave I wouldnt shoot past 12yds. The 12 gauge model has enough pellets to kill reliably at 25yds even with its cylinder bore.
    As I explained in the other thread I have subsequently set up a 12 gauge shockwave with a Streamlight forend, red dot and recoil strap system. It is a far more versatile weapon for hunting birds, camp defense, night use etc. I prefer it for my own use but for my family the 410 is a lot more accessible.
    I cant figure out how to intersperse pictures into my post so heres a big dump of them.Name:  IMG_3123.jpg
Views: 418
Size:  28.2 KBName:  IMG_3124.jpg
Views: 422
Size:  30.2 KBName:  IMG_3121.jpg
Views: 469
Size:  40.3 KBName:  IMG_3120.jpg
Views: 468
Size:  40.1 KBName:  IMG_3122.jpg
Views: 417
Size:  33.0 KB
    Last edited by diananike; 11-26-2023 at 04:00 PM.

And a few pics of the highball safetyName:  8FBEDCDD-4148-48D6-933A-3E4E4485871D.jpg
Views: 419
Size:  24.6 KBName:  4CE69587-BB13-4180-B7C3-B40995BDE7CD.jpg
Views: 421
Size:  45.4 KBName:  34849ADC-474B-4CA5-8FD0-25DE9AE8E88C.jpg
Views: 432
Size:  31.9 KBName:  C8E0B79C-3D23-4BDF-A3A2-0D910AA8B257.jpeg
Views: 447
Size:  81.2 KB

Diana Chaser spotted.

Quote Originally Posted by SCCY Marshal View Post
    Diana Chaser spotted.
    Outdoor gun range here in northern Manitoba.
    It was a warm fall but last week was the last time I’ll be shooting real handguns till spring.
    I have a nice collection of about 12 air pistols that keep me busy in the garage for the 5 month off season.
    The Chaser in .22 is perfect for shooting the recycling.

@fatdog, are slugs available? I wonder how they might work for you.

Duces
    A peaceful man is capable of great violence, but he keeps it under control. If a man is not capable of violence, he is not peaceful. He is just harmless. (Jordan Peterson)

Brenneke's are out of stock everywhere, the others are not worth having because of terrible performance. I have more confidence in the stopping power of 4-5 000 pellets than any of the slugs available for this platform. I would rather hit the target with any of my 45 ACP loads than a slug from this thing....
    Support the Second Amendment Foundation and the Firearms Policy Coalition, join and give!

I've had a strong desire for the Henry Axe .410 mare's leg since they came out. I saw a video where someone figured out the .410 Henrys use the same receiver as the .45-70 guns and an Mlok handguard went right on their Henry Axe. It's a significant price jump from the Shockwave but if it turns out there's just no good way to put a light on a .410 Shockwave that might be a way to go.

ETA: I found the video.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

User Tag List