Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Mossberg 590 shockwave 410

Wring out day

My 410 shockwave is now ready for deployment as a general purpose farm implement. Using the sling as an iso tension device is working out, still some adjustments there. After shooting a lot of different rounds I am settling on the Remington 3" 5 pellet 000 buck round as the standard fodder. Tape switch on this little streamlight I picked up is wrapped by the grip tape on the stock and seems to me to be working nicely, my finger tips of the dominant hand providing the pressure to put it on momentarily, or use my non dominant hand to switch it on full time if that is what is called for. Holosun 407CO is a joy and working well for me. The sidesaddle has all the spare ammo I anticipate I would ever want to carry "on the gun"

Name:  mossberg shockwave 410 configured.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  43.6 KB

Today's patterning exercise let me know the limits of the thing. These are much better patterns than I was getting with the 4 pellet Remington round which I initially though was going to be my choice. I think 4+1 capacity with this patterning is much better than 5+1 capacity and the poorer patterns I was getting with the 2.5" 4 pellet version.

Perhaps next year I will try the full size Mossberg 410 gun to see if I can tolerate the recoil in my sensitive areas using the stocked version.

Name:  5 pellet 410 7 yards.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  49.2 KB

Name:  5 pellet 410 10 yards.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  34.8 KB

Name:  5 pellet 410 15 yards.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  38.8 KB

Name:  5 pellet 410 20 yards.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  61.7 KB

Name:  5 pellet 410 25 yards.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  60.5 KB
    Support the Second Amendment Foundation and the Firearms Policy Coalition, join and give!

Nice looks like it’s holding a pretty good spread out to 15yds.
    I like your setup. Too bad we don’t have a forearm light option for the 410 models yet.

That's a great setup and writeup @fatdog! Thank you.

Surprisingly impressive patterning with the 3" 000. Especially out to 15 yards. (About the greatest indoor distance in my home).

Clever light attachment setup Sir. If you find the time and inclination would you mind posting a couple of more photos of your setup at various angles (the other side etc.?)

This/your thread is helping me work out a plan to build one of these in the coming year. I too wish someone would build a forearm light setup. but your idea looks pretty darn good.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    That's a great setup and writeup @fatdog! Thank you.

Surprisingly impressive patterning with the 3" 000. Especially out to 15 yards. (About the greatest indoor distance in my home).

Clever light attachment setup Sir. If you find the time and inclination would you mind posting a couple of more photos of your setup at various angles (the other side etc.?)

This/your thread is helping me work out a plan to build one of these in the coming year. I too wish someone would build a forearm light setup. but your idea looks pretty darn good.
    +1 to more pictures at different angles, specially the light setup, would be appreciated

I will do that with some pictures, but the light is the Streamlight tape switch version of the TLR.

The mount is a simple Chinese slave labor made pic rail offset.

There is still a lot of light splash on my non-domanint hand/arm but it is out of the field of view of the Holosun and projecting forward. Not perfect but workable for now
    Support the Second Amendment Foundation and the Firearms Policy Coalition, join and give!

promised close ups of the rig as it is currently configured

Arrows point to where the pressure switch is mounted on a piece of double stick tape under the grip wrap, grip wrap is some "tactical wrap" I bought on somebody's clearance sale some years ago but it is really just some form of gray coban wrap, is working fine for me on this one, found that finger tip activation is just fine where this is

Name:  mossy 410 grip.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  31.8 KB

Name:  mossy 410 side.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  51.7 KB

Name:  mossy 410 top view.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  20.6 KB

Not all our farm problems are buckshot problems so I will be patterning some of those bb pellet turkey loads next...
    Last edited by fatdog; 12-25-2023 at 09:28 AM.

Thanks @fatdog

Really rethinking the 410 uses based on the discussions here, for survival/subsistence small game hunting not sport hunting how do you think 410 like yours would fair for avg person, not avg PF member, vs 22 Long rifle?

Quote Originally Posted by Dov View Post
    Really rethinking the 410 uses based on the discussions here, for survival/subsistence small game hunting not sport hunting how do you think 410 like yours would fair for avg person, not avg PF member, vs 22 Long rifle?
    A well zero'ed scoped .22LR is superior for most ground based game, not flying birds, this would fairly suck for flying birds compared to a stocked shotgun. To me, this is just a compromise, 2nd tier necessary choice gun because I can no longer shoulder a shotgun due to medical issues. Were I able to shoulder a full power long gun, rifle or shotgun, I would never own one of these things...but for this shockwave style "firearm" concept I am finding the 410 more to my liking over its 12 counterparts...because I can stick it in front of my face with that red dot and not worry at all about getting smacked in the kisser if my grip is not perfect and forceful....

Quote Originally Posted by Dov View Post
    Thanks @fatdog

I think you’d have to get the gun threaded for chokes for any serious small game hunting.
    My Shockwaves cylinder bore throws very wide birdshot patterns past about 10yds it thins out rapidly.
    With the full choke that my M6 survival rifle has you’d be pretty secure taking grouse out to 20yds.
    The M6 also has a .22 barrel on it so it’s far more versatile for small game. The Shockwave is a handy capable self defense weapon though that would be more suitable for hunting if it had chokes.

Anything new to report with your 410's?

User Tag List