Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which Ameriglo will cowitness w/DPP on a 19.5 MOS?

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    I'd strongly advise against any tritium or color on PMO BUIS. Get the Ameriglo GL-429 set. Saves money and does the needed job (which should not be needed if you have a quality optic).
    I agree. I run the Ameriglo GL-429 (aka XL) with the RMR and the GL-470 (aka 2XL) with the SRO. However, the DPP deck height is significantly taller than the RMR, so he'll need the Ameriglo 8XL or 9XL set that I linked to above if he opts for a set of serrated black sights.

If he is worried about front sight visibility as he is just starting to use a red dot, a white sharpie can be used to put a streak of white on the front sight. Later on it can be removed with a dab of alcohol once he is more comfortable with red dot sight acquisition.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    The youngest boy picked up a 19.5 MOS yesterday. He's already got a DPP and wants sights that cowitness so I said I'd ask around to see what he needs.

He is specifically looking for Ameriglo, front tritium, blacked out rear. I'm not seeing that combination on their website but I may be missing something. Does that combination exist or does he need to modify what he wants?

Thanks!

EDIT: Looks like maybe GL-411 is what he needs?
    As noted- Dawson sells DPP heights BUIS for MOS Glocks.

Wayne Dobbs is on point here.

Have you or your son shot an RDS pistol in low light ? BUIS are just that - back ups, they are literally like a spare tire in a car. IME Tritium BUIS are both unnecessary (RDS is a better night sight) and annoying / distracting in low light .

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Is the DPP plate thicker or thinner than other plates to a degree to affect co-witness?
    It’s not the plate, the DPP itself has a very high deck.

Site Supporter
    I advised against tritium from the jump but he's...impulsive. Are the 429s tall enough to co-witness with the DPP? I suggested bottom third but he's insistent on absolute and I haven't been able to persuade him away from that yet.

He's bad about compulsively buying and selling. Lately I've been able to get him to the point where I can usually suggest something out of my safe to trade for instead of him continually taking a loss. If I wait long enough, he'll probably offer the 19.5 to me and then I'll put the proper sights on it for the next trade.
    Why absolute co-witness ?

Red dots are, for practical purposes at pistol ranges, parallax free, meaning when zeroed, the POI is where ever the dot is in the window. So if you want to use your BUIS to “check zero” on your dot lower 1/3 or lower 1/4 work just fine.

The optic is the primary sighting system. Using absolute (1/2) co-witness block half the useable window and impedes use of the primary sighting system. Also most people I’ve seen who are set on absolute co-witness height want them to use the BUIS to find the dot, which is literally retarded and slower than just using irons.

@HCM, you're preaching to the choir!

I don't run either on my optic pistols and I've tried to talk him out of night sights and absolute cowitness in this case. I've explained why both are sub-optimal on an optic pistol but I'm fighting against youtube and gun counter commando advice. Once he gets something into his head, he's slow to come around but I'll keep fighting the good fight with him until he does.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Site Supporter
    @HCM, you're preaching to the choir!

I don't run either on my optic pistols and I've tried to talk him out of night sights and absolute cowitness in this case. I've explained why both are sub-optimal on an optic pistol but I'm fighting against youtube and gun counter commando advice. Once he gets something into his head, he's slow to come around but I'll keep fighting the good fight with him until he does.
    I guess all the deeply earned experience and advice from folks who actually carry and use these systems for actual street use isn't as valuable as somebody with all those Internet "clicks" and/or who have a large viewing population of literal and figurative dick beaters in mommy's basement.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    I guess all the deeply earned experience and advice from folks who actually carry and use these systems for actual street use isn't as valuable as somebody with all those Internet "clicks" and/or who have a large viewing population of literal and figurative dick beaters in mommy's basement.
    I’ve been making progress but it’s been slow progress. After passing along the information from this thread he’s decided to stick with the sights he’s got.

I keep passing along what I learn here and try to point out the entertainment vs good information.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

User Tag List