• 0-5 years

7 8.33%
  • 5-10 years

6 7.14%
  • 10+ years

71 84.52%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: longest running pistol you still use

I have a K-22 dad bought in about 1971. I had a couple single action 22s about then I shot a lot but also shot the K-22 a LOT as a kid. All the odd jobs, farm work, yard work or whatever, Id buy 22 ammo. Normal outings were 500 rds whenever I could go. The family had a place out of town along a river with woods around it, so always had an easy place to shoot. I started riding motorcycles on the street when i was about 13, (no drivers license). if I couldnt find anyone else to go id take the K-22 in a day pack and go by myself. Local gun shop guy let me buy ammo being under age as he knew the family and we did business with them. I shot scads for fun and hunted squirrels with the K-22 many times. Dad either gave the K-22 to me or I traded him out of it when I moved to Az in 81 and I shot it a LOT there also. Normal was 500-1000 rds per outing. Im certain something over 200K rounds through it, possibly closer to 300K. Its a little looser than the average K-22, but still functions and times fine. The only work thats been done was replace the screw that holds the thumb piece on when it fell off and was lost. I may see if I have another locking bolt that might snug it up a little.

Dad also had a model 19 Smith 4" he bought about the same time. Local shop had commercial 38 wadcutter reloads pretty reasonable, I shot the model 19 a fair bit, and later traded dad out of it and it went to Az with me. I carried it some, but not a lot. I dont know how many rounds through it, not huge amounts, maybe 500 magnums, and many times that in 38s. Still have it, swapped a 6" then a 2 1/2" barrel onto it, I think the 6 will end up back on it soon as I have another 2 1/2" factory gun with round butt for carry now.

I bought a new model 29 in about 1982. I carried it pretty much daily open in Az riding motorcycles, roaming the hills, rural living, and shooting a fair amount, then after I moved north to grizzly country, where it stayed my main daily carry gun for dog walks or up here the bears live. I semi-retired it a few years ago for daily stuff, it still goes when I get up where the bears live full time, but I dont do that as much now. I shot a deer a couple-few coyotes and a bunch of bunnies and jacks with it. Best shot was a coyote at a bit over 200 yards near Flagstaff, 1st round hit.

Name:  SW-29-holster.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  68.4 KB

The deer with the 29, about 1983

Name:  modifiedimage.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  63.7 KB

About average results shooting the K-22 kneeling at 25 yards. I never tried to figure out if one particular ammo shot better than others, I mainly bought cheap, the old Winchester Wildcat stuff ran reliably, if a bit waxy, but was cheap and widely available in the day.

Name:  K-22 target.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  46.5 KB
    Last edited by Malamute; 11-23-2023 at 07:43 PM.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Site Supporter
    My oldest is a Series 70 Gubmint Model in .45 ACP. I bought it used in ‘83, so I’ve had it for 40 years. I wasn’t able to legally carry until ‘88 when PA passed the appropriate law, and that’s what I carried. I moved to LA in ‘90 and again had to wait until the appropriate law was passed so I could carry, and again that’s what I carried. Then I switched to CZ-75Bs, and later to M&Ps and PX4s with side orders of K frames. I rarely carry that .45 or the Combat Commander that I picked up later now, they’re heavier than I like and if I want to carry a .45 it’ll be an M&P.

I’ve had some work done to it over the years. It’s been hard chromed, wears a Bo-Mar rear sight and has had a GI NM barrel installed, plus the front strap has been checkered 20 lpi. I recently replaced the recoil, hammer, and firing pin springs, but I don’t think I’ve shot it since. I’ll probably take it to the range soon since y’all have jogged my memory.
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

Longest One I've owned: Ruger P95DC - bought in 1999. For a few years the only handgun I had. Thousands of rounds through it, no idea how many actually. I lost count at about 25k. Literally only replaced the recoil springs and clean it once in awhile. It's big, ugly, not super concealable, and yet I'd grab it as the gun to take through the apocalypse.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Like many others, a Gen 3 19. 2012 I believe. It’s mostly stock; over the years I’ve only added FO sights and a minus connector, as well as stippled the frame. At some point I swapped in a Blacklist barrel. Not because it needed it; I just did.

Been through 7-8 classes, many drills, and still gets carried quite often. I’d estimate round count at ~around~ 20,000, +/- 10%. Not terribly high for PF but the last few years I mostly shoot my RMR’ed 19.
    Last edited by Darth_Uno; 11-24-2023 at 12:33 AM.

longest running pistol you still use

Bought new… S&W 642-1. Got in at the end of 2009. Converted it to 9mm in 2015, and carried it ever since.

If we remove the bought new part… I have a Custer era trapdoor Springfield, which some jerk refinished/redid the stock.

Bought new, a 625 Mountain gun. Bought it for a woods/hunting gun, and probably have put at least 1000 rounds thru it.
    Doesn't get used much anymore, but still fun when shot.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

On this forum, I would have added 20 and 30 years to the poll.

I ironically temporarily switched back to my very first carry piece, a G27, because the the size + holster I have meet current needs. I got that in 2002.

I take my first real open gun out every once in a while to a match, an EGW Caspian build circa 1994. Honestly, I don’t feel it gives up much, if anything, to the current wiz bang 2011s.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    On this forum, I would have added 20 and 30 years to the poll.

I ironically temporarily switched back to my very first carry piece, a G27, because the the size + holster I have meet current needs. I got that in 2002.

I take my first real open gun out every once in a while to a match, an EGW Caspian build circa 1994. Honestly, I don’t feel it gives up much, if anything, to the current wiz bang 2011s.
    I bet the average age of members here is at least over 40. And most of us aren't chasing the newest, coolest stuff.

If we're counting guns we kinda sorta shoot every now and then, I have 2001 Dan Wesson Pointman. Every time I shoot that, it's like getting behind the wheel of a muscle car you owned 20 years ago. Everything is exactly like you remember, and just feels right.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Beretta 92 Brigadier Elite. Purchased 1999. Still my primary shooter.

To me 'still use' means shoot more than once or twice a year.

In 1977 I bought a 6" Model 28 Smith. Still shoot it regularly, most recently was to make some brass for my neighbor who is teaching his Grandson how to reload. I can do .27 - .32 splits with it, actually not much slower than I am with an auto.

Around the same time I bought a Ruger MK1 bull barrel. During the last couple years I've really stepped up .22 consumption and it has been a steady contributor.

And during the same period I bought a beautiful Wingmaster with an 18" barrel. I bought a Hastings wadlock barrel for it and it became my duck and pheasant gun for the several years. It's got beautiful wood and I'm pretty careful of it, but it still gets out a couple times a year.

so, over 40 years on each of those.

ETA: I still shooting my Gen2 G22 which I purchased in 1990 or 1991 right after they first came out. I carried it on duty with the SO. It currently sports a 9mm conversion barrel most of the time. Before Glock introduced the G44 it was the dedicated host for my Advantage Arms .22 conversion.
    Last edited by DDTSGM; 11-24-2023 at 03:32 PM.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

User Tag List