• 5-10 years

6 7.14%
  • 10+ years

71 84.52%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: longest running pistol you still use

Site Supporter
    OK, I'll play.

My first handgun was a Smith 65-1, bought in the late 80s. It was my nightstand gun until replaced by a G21SF, then my wife's nightstand gun until replaced by a DAO 64 a few years ago.

My 3rd was a Glock 19, made in 1990 and bought around the same time. That was my primary carry gun until I replaced it with a gen 4 19, a few years ago.
    'Nobody ever called the fire department because they did something intelligent'

M&P 340. Bought it as a back-up gun when I started in LE in 2008. Carried it everyday for nearly 12 years at my old agency. My current agency issues BUGs, but I still carry it occasionally around the house or mowing the yard.

Not the oldest handgun I've owned, but it's the oldest one I still have.

It was made in 1967, bought by me in '76, hard-chromed in '79, and somewhere along the line it got new sights. It served as a duty-gun for a while, and it gets carried some as hunting piece. Ironically, the grips it's wearing now cost three times as much as I paid for the gun 47 yrs ago. That's messed up!

The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Site Supporter
    My first carry pistol was. Gen 3 Glock 26 that I bought in 2009. I still carry it and often in the first holster I bought for it. It has Glock night sights that need to be replaced. The only non-factory part in the pistol is the SCD. I sometimes carry a G43 or a G19 now, so the G26 doesn't get shot a much as a few years ago. I have shot it within the last few months though.

My longest-owned pistol is a 17.2 that I bought in the early 90s. I haven't shot it in maybe 5 years, and it live hanging on the inside of the gunsafe door with a full mag inserted. I need to shoot, clean, and lube it, or at least lube it.

I learned to shoot a handgun with my 4' stainless GP-100. It wasn't my first handgun --that was a Taurus PT92 that didn't last and I didn't know what I was doing with it. I took the GP through the sheriff's reserve academy in the early 90s. I really wanted a 686, but I was young, newly-married, and poor, and the GP was ~$150 less. That department had just recently switched from revos to autos (G-17) and I was gratified, and even a bit cocky, because I coule draw, shoot 6, reload, shoot 6, reload and holster quicker than many of my (new to handguns) classmates could get through their first reload--and my scores were much better. The bragging is only contextual. It was hardly a challenging COF, and it was truly unimpressive by PF standards, but I didn't know what I didn't know. I shot that GP a lot (for a young broke guy). .38spl reloads were cheap and anemic, but provided lots of trigger time. I moved to autos after a couple of years and the GP was relegated to very occasional use--wearing it when hunting. It sat in my safe for many years untouched, but last summer I pulled it out for my first-ever ICORE match. Let me tell you, my GP100 in a nylon Bianchi thumbrreak with HKS speedloaders compared to the N-framed and moon-clipped S&W shooters, I was definitely out of my element! I took first in my division, though, as the only shooter.

My eyes have aged with the rest of me, so I would definitely benefit from a FO front sight, but the gun is otherwise untouched and better than the day I got it.

Name:  IMG_7209.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  101.6 KB

I purchased this G19.2 in the mid-90s when I first got my CCW. It has been a constant companion for many of the intervening years, and was present, in the pictured holster, at the birth of each of my children--not as a point of pride--but just that I usually had it on me. I have many thousands of rounds through it. I've never been as good about tracking my usage as some do. It could be 10K, it could be 30k. I've replaced recoil springs and have had two or three broken trigger return springs, so I now change those too, though the gun is shot much less than it used to be. The tip of the striker broke off ~18 months ago. Glock asked me to send it in so they could do a full run through and update where they could, which I though was cool. I put Heinie Straight 8s on it shortly after I got it, and recently replaced them with a more visible front.

I was married, making $10/hr as the part-time asst. manager in a pager/cellphone shop while going to school full-time. Money was TIGHT. I splurged by purchasing a Kramer IWB#3 for it. That holster is as stiff and serviceable as the day I got it. More so actually--it's very nicely broken in, but $100 in '96 for me was real money. Buy once, cry once. I use kydex more than leather, but when it's leather, it's generally Kramer horsehide.

I don't exactly have a carry "rotation," but my 19 is always an option. I wore it Black Friday shopping.

Name:  IMG_7212.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  103.4 KB

I purchased this P226 from a friend a year or two after I got my G19. It was a very fair price from a fickle friend and it was like new. I remember Jan Libourel , in Guns & Ammo magazine describing the P226 as being "reassuringly expensive," and offering "boring reliability." My friends and I were (broke) snobs and had no interest in the domestic wondernines, but the Euro-guns definitely impressed us. I love the 226. It is accurate, completely reliable, comfortable to shoot and carry. I was hoping to delve into MRDS world by purchasing the optics-ready slide Sig came out with but it's not compatible with my old W. German frame (so I scratched another itch with the LTT 92 RDO). My only gripe with the P226 is that I tend to ride the slide stop so it doesn't reliiably lock back. If all I shot was the P226 I could train myself out of that, but not willing to at this point. That said, if I want to carry IWB and not AIWB, the Sig often gets the nod. it just carries so well, and I'm shooting much more TDA than striker these days.

Name:  IMG_7211.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  103.5 KB

I love the honest wear the Glock and Sigs show. Each of these has served me very well for a LONG time and I have a soft spot in my heart for each. Kind of like the relationship you might have with your cars over the years. Thankfully, these last longer.

This thread prompted me to reflect on the handguns in my safe. With the exception of some family heirlooms, most have been in my possession less than 5 years and the few that have been around longer didn't get shot for a long time as I jumped from one new interest to the next.

I'm trying to do a better job of focusing my shooting time on 2-3 handguns that more accurately represent my EDC and fighting off the "gottahaveits". The youngest boy is just as bad, if not worse, and I'm trying to steer him away from the same path that's caused me lots of self-induced heartburn.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

I sold all my Gen 3 Glocks and replaced them with Gen 5's about two years ago, so the oldest handgun I now have which was purchased new is a Browning Buckmark that I bought circa 2009. A couple years later I sent it to SRT Arms to get an integral suppressor.

Another 'used' purchase from a good friend in need of money

A mid 80's Security Six, 2 3/4", stainless. I purchased it in early '94.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Quote Originally Posted by dogcaller View Post
    I purchased this P226 from a friend a year or two after I got my G19. It was a very fair price from a fickle friend and it was like new. I remember Jan Libourel , in Guns & Ammo magazine describing the P226 as being "reassuringly expensive," and offering "boring reliability." My friends and I were (broke) snobs and had no interest in the domestic wondernines, but the Euro-guns definitely impressed us. I love the 226. It is accurate, completely reliable, comfortable to shoot and carry. I was hoping to delve into MRDS world by purchasing the optics-ready slide Sig came out with but it's not compatible with my old W. German frame (so I scratched another itch with the LTT 92 RDO). My only gripe with the P226 is that I tend to ride the slide stop so it doesn't reliiably lock back. If all I shot was the P226 I could train myself out of that, but not willing to at this point. That said, if I want to carry IWB and not AIWB, the Sig often gets the nod. it just carries so well, and I'm shooting much more TDA than striker these days.

Name:  IMG_7211.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  103.5 KB
    A Ky-Tac Braveheart?

Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    A Ky-Tac Braveheart?
    Yes. I have this one, plus one for my 1911 and one that will fit G19/17/34/etc. It's by far my favorite IWB holster; I just wish the owner/maker was reliable and/or still in business.

User Tag List