7 8.33%
  • 5-10 years

6 7.14%
  • 10+ years

71 84.52%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: longest running pistol you still use

longest running pistol you still use

Rather than drift this thread. Some people were surprised at OP going that long on a single Glock.

What's the oldest gun you bought new or close to new with the intention of using/carrying it and you still have/use it? How long was (is?) it in active use? Not "I have a 1911 from 1911 I shot 10 rounds through" or grandpa's .45 that never got a lot of use because it was already too sentimental/valuable to use.

In a similar position to OP with his 1998 Glock. I have a pair of 686s from 1995 and 2000 that I (mostly) stopped the clock on around 20k awhile back. Shot/competed with/carried a fair bit over the course of a couple decades. One of them still gets shot occasionally. Both of them acquired same year they were made with entirely practical intentions. (One new, one "used" by a buddy for about a weekend.) I can think of at least a couple shooting buddies in similar-ish situations. Lots of churn overall. New stuff comes in, some older stuff goes out. But there's been a few pistols that stuck around for the duration and either still get light use or eventually just accrued too much value/sentimentality to risk continued shooting/carrying.

Doesn't have to necessarily be high round count if it's a carry piece not suited to that sort of thing. I just swapped the dead night sight on my 2014 Glock 42 and that one only has a few hundred rounds on it but next year will be a decade. Fresh night sights should carry it through another 10 years. I doubt the total round count will ever exceed a thousand.

Site Supporter
    S&W 642, bought Jan 2004, made in fall of 2003. Still gets carry time, unknown thousands of live rounds and dry fires, have carried it all over the country. Back in the day, I had the carry choice of a full-size 9mm or my 642, so it got a *lot* of miles as it was the daily driver and only really good EDC I had.. Basically has no frame finish left.

Got a new 442 a while back to put the 642, a -2 with the Hillary lock still on it, on reserve status.

I have a couple of Shadow 2s that I’m likely over 100k on.

But I’ve used different slides and internals over the years so it’s really just the frame that’s the same.

First one is a S&W M18-2 that I inherited from a great uncle. I was 12 or 13 at the time so that puts it close 1984 when I got it. I shot it just last weekend to see what ammo to carry on an up and coming squirrel hunt.

Second is my Colt 1991A1 Commander, bought in 1992. I shoot a couple of mags a month out of it and it gets carried often. It saw bowling pin a and steel match duty up to 98. It was my primary carry well into the 2000s.

Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    What's the oldest gun you bought new or close to new with the intention of using/carrying it and you still have/use it? How long was (is?) it in active use? Not "I have a 1911 from 1911 I shot 10 rounds through" or grandpa's .45 that never got a lot of use because it was already too sentimental/valuable to use.
    2011 Gen3 G17 that I made into a G17k. I carry it with Lost River 148-grain loads (https://www.lostriverammocompany.com...100-FPS-50-RND) when I hunt black bears. My EDC is a Gen5 G19 but I'd carry the G17k without a second thought.

I also use three 4" S&W revolvers for the same thing: a Model 29-2, a pre-29, and a pre-27. I've taken a bunch of small game with all three, and deer with the pre-29. They trickled from my father's collection into mine over the years, so I wasn't the one who bought them. He bought the pre-27 new and used it heavily, then had S&W refinish it about 20 years ago. The pre-29 belonged to an uncle who ranched a swath of the Edwards Plateau; it started working on the way home from the store where he bought it. I carried the 29-2 concealed for many years before relegating it to bear duty, but it still gets concealed while driving to and from the hills.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

My 642, bought when they came out in 1991. It rides daily in my pocket, as it did in my uniform pocket until I retired.

Purchased this new in 1991. It was immediately sent back to S&W to fix weak ejection and a gritty DA pull, came back perfect. I had a set of McCormick sights installed some years later, and more recently invested in a Milt Sparks holster. I strap it on every once and a while for grins and giggles but it has remained mostly a safe queen;

This one I've only had for about 15 years. I've lost count of how many rounds are through it but it has been carried daily since I purchased it;

EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights | EDC Light Builder P-F Sub-forum

Smith 915 for my 15th, so almost 32 years ago. Spent many a mile, 4 wheeling and hiking on the farm, strapped to my hip in Uncle Mike's finest. When I turned 21, I purchased a G26 and a USP .45, both of which are long gone, but the Smith remains. Might be time for a nostalgic range trip.
    Taking a break from social media.

Gen 2 Glock 19 bought in 1992. It was my EDC until about 10 years ago.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Name:  IMG_1493.jpg
Views: 523
Size:  32.0 KBName:  IMG_2509.jpg
Views: 521
Size:  34.6 KB

S&W Model 10 on the top. I bought it used somewhere around the middle 1970s. It's had a few mods plus some end shake washers, but it still runs great.

The Glock is a Gen 2. I think it has around 100,000 rounds through it. Mostly minor handloads. At one time I was buying bullets by the pallet and kept track that way. It was my only 9mm at the time.

User Tag List