• 5-10 years

6 7.14%
  • 10+ years

71 84.52%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: longest running pistol you still use

One of the first 342’s available in my area $500-550 ish

Still carried regularly.

My woods beater is a gen 2 G19 that was made circa 1996 I think. Just put new Trijicons on it

Gen 3 Glock 19.

Bought lightly used in 2010. It was one of the Austria import guns (Smyrna stamped under the trigger guard) brought in after the Obama election shortage.

I carried and competed(USPSA) with it for quite a few years before buying a Gen4 19. The Gen4 became the carry gun, Gen3 stayed comp gun as it had a much better trigger.

By 2018 the barrel was completely shot out( I used a lot of brown bear 9mm in that gun). When I replaced the barrel I detail stripped it and found a broken locking block. Replaced the block and it still shot 10" groups at 25 yards, so new barrel went in.

Gen5 19MOS was acquired late 2021 so I could try out the pistol mounted dot. The Gen5 19 gets used a lot more now unless I have a reason/need to use irons.

That's ~11 years of constant use. Hard to say the round count. There are 3-4 years of heavy USPSA use so my guess is north of 50k.

I missed the edit window. The gun on the top is a Model 15. I didn't get the 3" Model 10 until around 1990.

Gen3 Glock 23.

In late 1999, I hired on at my 1st full time LE job, which issued G23's. In comparing the issued gun to the .40 BHP I owned, the Glock was more compact, held more ammo, and was impervious to the elements. The Browning went down the road. When I left that job to move out of state the next year, I could not find a G23 for sale anywhere and bought a used G22. In Nebraska, I traded that G22 for a brand-spanking new G23. It was my duty gun at my next job, and my off-duty carry at the job after that....about 13 years total. In that time I had become an instructor and armorer, and had gone with the NY1 spring/"-" connector combo. After moving back to Texas and no longer mandated to carry .40 S&W, I dropped in a Storm Lake 9mm barrel, and carried it on and off duty for a couple of more years. I became aware that it was on the large side for my small hands, and I transitioned to the Sig P250c. It languished in the safe for a long time and I gave it to my youngest son a couple of Christmases ago.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Yesterday, one of the two revolvers I carried was a 2.25” Ruger SP101 that I bought about 20 years ago, in 2003, or perhaps 2004. The other revolver I was carrying, an S&W Model 64 snub-gun, was made much earlier, but I bought it a few years ago, pre-owned. This week, I have carried a 3” SP101 that I bought in 2006. Another of my 2.25” SP101 snub guns has been with me since 1997, but I am not exactly certain how long ago I last carried it. My early-Nineties Ruger GP100 has been with me since 1991 or 1992, and served as a duty revolver from 1993 to 1995. I am not currently carrying it, because I replaced the rear sight, which still needs to be dialed-in. When that is done, it will resume its place as a carry gun, especially when heading out into rural areas.

My auto-pistol in longest continuous service is my .40 SIG P229R DAK, acquired in 2004, and retired in 2015, when my then-chief OK’ed 9mm to be an alternative primary duty cartridge. I would still have every confidence in it, if I lubed it and loaded it, but .40 S&W, fired from a high-bore-axis SIG, is no longer a friend of my aging hands. If I do not train with it, I would rather not carry it.

I have other autos and revolvers, owned for longer periods of time, but none have been in continuous service.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

I've got two that I got in 2014: A gen 1 Shield that's my go-to pocket gun, and a RDS'd Beretta 92D Centurion that's my designated dryfire & range practice gun.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

I have guns that have been around longer, shot or carried now and then, but my oldest working gun is a Colt 1991A1 9mm, my No. 1 IDPA ESP that shows up in the chronograph record in 1999.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Sig P225 (1987)

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    I have a couple of Shadow 2s that I’m likely over 100k on.

But I’ve used different slides and internals over the years so it’s really just the frame that’s the same.
    Yeah I guess it depends on your definition of pistol.

I've switched from a durability focus to a reliability focus in my lubrication but even so I doubt I'll get to the point of shooting out a Glock frame to the point it's unusable prior to the war against the machines or whatever. They'll probably offer a phased plasma rifle conversion barrel and people will complain the chamber isn't fully supported.

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    Gen 3 Glock 19.

Bought lightly used in 2010. It was one of the Austria import guns (Smyrna stamped under the trigger guard) brought in after the Obama election shortage.

I carried and competed(USPSA) with it for quite a few years before buying a Gen4 19. The Gen4 became the carry gun, Gen3 stayed comp gun as it had a much better trigger.

By 2018 the barrel was completely shot out( I used a lot of brown bear 9mm in that gun). When I replaced the barrel I detail stripped it and found a broken locking block. Replaced the block and it still shot 10" groups at 25 yards, so new barrel went in.

Gen5 19MOS was acquired late 2021 so I could try out the pistol mounted dot. The Gen5 19 gets used a lot more now unless I have a reason/need to use irons.

That's ~11 years of constant use. Hard to say the round count. There are 3-4 years of heavy USPSA use so my guess is north of 50k.
    Very similar for me. Gen 3 19 that I put a RMR on in 2010 and it was my main training gun for that decade. I replaced the barrel at 80,000 rounds and some other parts along the way. That gen1 RMR is still working.

User Tag List