Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MK318 MOD 0 SOST Hunting Review (*Graphic pictures of harvested deer*)

MK318 MOD 0 SOST Hunting Review (*Graphic pictures of harvested deer*)

Today I shot a doe which I estimate at 100-120# on the hoof. The shot was taken with an 11.5" 5.56 SBR, suppressed. The distance was 90m. The deer ran 125m across cleared field, mostly, the last 5m of which was through light brush, where it expired promptly. At the impact site there was foamy blood with chunks (lung tissue). Within about 20 feet of where the deer lay, there was significant blood trail. I did not bother tracking all of it, because I could see where the deer piled up. The reaction to being shot was a shoulder twitch (or maybe that was impact?) and a little "startle kick" and then the deer took off running, keeping pace with the other 2, until it didn't. It just collapsed and died. The structures impacted were ribs upon entry, both lungs, and ribs upon exit. The angle was directly perpendicular to the shooter. Ammunition used was MK318 MOD 0 SOST.

This is the entrance, picture taken at site of recovery, after rolling the animal to expose entrance:

Name:  Entrace.jpg
Views: 720
Size:  97.2 KB

This is the exit, picture taken without moving the animal at site of recovery:

Name:  Exit.jpg
Views: 707
Size:  101.8 KB

This is the entrance. Note the immediate appearance of expansion and disruption:

Name:  EntranceRib.jpg
Views: 708
Size:  68.3 KB
    Name:  EntranceRIb2.jpg
Views: 704
Size:  62.5 KB

This is the lung tissue. Note the appearance of copper and lead fragments and small secondary channels caused by same (maybe not visible in photos):

Name:  Lung.jpg
Views: 712
Size:  92.5 KB
    Name:  Lung2.jpg
Size:  74.3 KB

Fragments were recovered from lung tissue (very small, not photographed).

This is the exit. Note fragments clearly visible embedded in rib and ribcage, as well as small secondary wound channels caused by other fragments:

Name:  ExitRib.jpg
Views: 695
Size:  42.8 KB
    Name:  ExitRib2.jpg
Views: 694
Size:  37.7 KB
    Name:  ExitRib3.jpg
Size:  65.6 KB

Projectile entered from (photo) Right to Left:

Name:  R2L.jpg
Views: 699
Size:  75.1 KB
    Last edited by Unobtanium; 11-23-2023 at 02:04 AM.

Thanks for the excellent pictures.
    It appears to have performed exactly as intended.
    Fragmentation occured within the vitals and penetration of the remaining core ensured a through and through wound.
    Not as spectacular a wound as something like a tipped match king but still an effective hunting round even with a lung shot.

Quote Originally Posted by diananike View Post
    Thanks for the excellent pictures.
    It appears to have performed exactly as intended.
    Fragmentation occured within the vitals and penetration of the remaining core ensured a through and through wound.
    Not as spectacular a wound as something like a tipped match king but still an effective hunting round even with a lung shot.
    Disruption/Expansion began immediately, as evidenced by the traumatic entrance wound. Fragmentation actually penetrated the off-side ribcage, at least partially. I am really impressed with this round. It's like the angry brother of the Nosler Partition.

So he was active for several seconds(5-6?) after impact in order to run 125 meters? It's always impressive what they can do with fatal wounds. I had a guy tell me about shooting one with a poorly placed 7mm magnum that ran 40-50 meters with its entrails pouring out until it literally tripped over them and piled up.

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    So he was active for several seconds(5-6?) after impact in order to run 125 meters? It's always impressive what they can do with fatal wounds. I had a guy tell me about shooting one with a poorly placed 7mm magnum that ran 40-50 meters with its entrails pouring out until it literally tripped over them and piled up.
    White tail can run at 44fps, and this one had no meaningful musculoskeletal injury to the legs. 375/44=8.5 seconds+whatever time it took to get up to 44fps (30mph).

This really makes me curious what our duty ammo would do.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    This really makes me curious what our duty ammo would do.
    Each year I use a different round.
    RA556B (2016-17?)
    75gr Gold Dot (2018)
    70gr TSX (2017 and 2019)
    MK318 SOST MOD 0 (this year)
    70gr GMX (2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    Each year I use a different round.
    RA556B (2016-17?)
    75gr Gold Dot (2018)
    70gr TSX (2017 and 2019)
    MK318 SOST MOD 0 (this year)
    70gr GMX (2019)
    So, how do you think they compare to each other? Which is your 'favorite' so far?

I realize that you have a small sample size, but I'd still be interested in hearing your opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by 37th Mass View Post
    So, how do you think they compare to each other? Which is your 'favorite' so far?

I realize that you have a small sample size, but I'd still be interested in hearing your opinion.
    I did not kill all of the deer involved, but did see them or photos thereof. A group of friends and I do this every year. So far, the most impressive has been the 75gr Gold Dot and the SOST. The absolute wildest has been the GMX, which has produced wounds ranging from equal or worse (for the deer) than the SOST, to "I wish I'd used M193 instead". Literally ice-picked, tumbled, and went on. That was the only one that has made my "Not fit for use" list. I actually witnessed this. My friend shot a small deer at 120m with it from a 16.1" 1/7 twist carbine. It was the Black Hills load, which is hot AF (2800fps or so from a 14.5" gun), and the deer literally didn't react. He had to shoot it again. And then again on the ground 200m away. We field dressed and skinned the deer, and it left an ice-pick entrance with bruising the size of a quarter (stoopid minor), and it exited the other side in profile, absolutely obvious that it hadn't done shit but tumble like a brass turned FMJ.

The Gold Dot produces reliable blood loss and tissue destruction. It's a good round.

The TSX behaves like a tiny Gold Dot.

The RA556B produced a pretty good "impact", and shed energy fast. I recall it did good work on the insides, but exit was smaller than entrance on a 130-140# doe, indicating that the first 8" or so is where a majority of its energy goes, so keep that in mind.

Personally, I like the SOST. It pushed fragments across the entire roughly 10" of deer torso. That rear shank kept going, too. At the site of impact there was a notable amount of blood/tissue, so I rate it pretty good for "impact". Also of note, no other deer I've shot did that little "kick startle" and run thing. They all just take off running as if from the sound. This actually made the deer kick like a mule and then run. Of course that's pretty anecdotal.

So yeah, to put it simply, if I had to get shot in the chest with one of these, my least preferred would be the SOST. There is just no fixing that. The 77TMK would be even nastier, but due to poor accuracy (3+ moa in every gun I own), I have not used it.

You did a superb job of documenting the wounding effects.

User Tag List