Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which LPVO would you buy?

Quote Originally Posted by helothar View Post
    Razor on sale for $1000 with code FCRZR500

https://www.focuscamera.com/vortex-r...d-reticle.html
    That is a great price thanks for finding that. I did find the vortex pst gen 2 for $479. Just curious is there is that big of difference between the razor and pst gen 2 that many have mentioned, as a good lower priced option.

Quote Originally Posted by Dismas316 View Post
    That is a great price thanks for finding that. I did find the vortex pst gen 2 for $479. Just curious is there is that big of difference between the razor and pst gen 2 that many have mentioned, as a good lower priced option.
    I haven’t had my hands on the PST gen 2, but the consensus seems to be it’s 90% of the Razor at 50% of the cost. It’s a little heavier than the Razor, which is already on the hefty side, but if you can’t justify the extra money I don’t think you’d be disappointed with it.

Quote Originally Posted by dontshakepandas View Post
    I haven’t had my hands on the PST gen 2, but the consensus seems to be it’s 90% of the Razor at 50% of the cost. It’s a little heavier than the Razor, which is already on the hefty side, but if you can’t justify the extra money I don’t think you’d be disappointed with it.
    i've had a little time behind the PST as I have friends that run it. I would put the number at 80% of the Razor. It's heavier, doesn't have the locking illumination knob, and doesn't have the same precision feel in the turrets although they are fine. I consider the PST a duty grade LPVO and it ticks the right boxes. It's clear enough to PID targets at 100 yards and it has good quality glass for longer shots. The Razor has ED (extra low dispersion) Japanese glass, and the resolution that gives you makes up for the 6x top end limitation. The design of the Razor's ocular housing gives a superior experience at 1x. The Razor's 6x gives you more information than the 8-10x of all of the budget LPVOs like the Swampfox Arrowhead or the Primary Arms SLx LPVOs. I think the PST is a fine choice, but if it's doable to stretch the budget to get the Razor it's worth the money.
    My general rule of thumb for my own uses is this:
    If the configuration of scope I'm looking for on a rifle has a model made at Light Optical Works in Japan, and it's feasible in my budget to afford it, that's the right answer. I'll shop the various models of different companies that have them made there to find the sweet spot. Tract optics is doing the Lord's work in this regard.
    If I can't find a Japanese scope I can afford and don't want to wait a few months, or the rifle just doesn't need a high-end scope for what its purpose is, then I go to Athlon.

Watch this review of the Vortex Razor HD 1-6 and see what you think. https://youtu.be/GWEpHudA_sw?si=nxyeRHcn9cGhR6zs
    He also has reviews of the PST gen 2 and the Credo. I believe it was someone on this forum that led me to his excellent reviews.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dismas316 View Post
    IME the PST’s performance and clarity are on par with the Razor.

The PST is heavier than the current “E” Model Razor but the same weight as the original.MIL issued Razors.

The only other significant difference is the Razor’s brightness adjustment can be locked out and the PST’s cannot. For a duty gun the lock out is worthwhile but the PST is fine for most uses.

@Helthar for the Win! I purchased the Razor, thanks for the discount code. HCM, had to laugh as I saw your post right after I made the purchase, figures, lol. Oh well. Hoping the eye relief they mention in videos and some of the other little features will be nice. I figured as I often do, if I don’t end up getting what I really want, it keeps eating at me until I do, not a good trait. Figured why not make the stretch as everyone mentioned.

Thanks for all the comments, very helpful. (I think, you all just caused me to spend over $1000+) 😄

I’m sure the Razor will not let you down but I thought I’d add this for anyone else looking.

I looked at the Razor and chose the Trijicon Credo HD with Hunter Holds reticle. This model is the only battery powered Credo that has a daylight bright reticle. It is also lighter which was the biggest draw for me. I don’t dial with a LPVO and having 3 other Trijicon scopes, I knew what to expect. I have not been disappointed but do wonder if the sample Razor I compared, was just not focused right for me and being a display model, maybe a low battery. I’ll have to find another to look at and see.

Quote Originally Posted by helothar View Post
    Razor on sale for $1000 with code FCRZR500

https://www.focuscamera.com/vortex-r...d-reticle.html
    That is awesome, thanks!

I have a few PST and the warping / parallax is noticeable on 1x.

Quote Originally Posted by TWR View Post
    I’m sure the Razor will not let you down but I thought I’d add this for anyone else looking.

I looked at the Razor and chose the Trijicon Credo HD with Hunter Holds reticle. This model is the only battery powered Credo that has a daylight bright reticle. It is also lighter which was the biggest draw for me. I don’t dial with a LPVO and having 3 other Trijicon scopes, I knew what to expect. I have not been disappointed but do wonder if the sample Razor I compared, was just not focused right for me and being a display model, maybe a low battery. I’ll have to find another to look at and see.
    I wasn’t familiar with the Credo so I did some searching after seeing your post. Not all reviews say its illumination is daylight bright. I wish there was an industry standard like with flashlights. We need a way to measure the brightness of reticles that is objective.

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    I wasn’t familiar with the Credo so I did some searching after seeing your post. Not all reviews say its illumination is daylight bright. I wish there was an industry standard like with flashlights. We need a way to measure the brightness of reticles that is objective.
    The Credo HX reticle that is daylight bright is this one: https://www.trijicon.com/products/de...x624-c-2900020 This review shows the daylight bright reticle.
    https://youtu.be/trFwmbsTcJ8?si=v0Ot1yWONP3a7rGG

There are several Credo reticles that are not daylight bright. From what I've been able to gather, only the HX and the scopes that have the Second Focal Plane (SFP) with the Red LED Dot and the BDC Hunter Holds are daylight bright.

User Tag List