Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which LPVO would you buy?

Which LPVO would you buy?

I’ve been getting into rifles the past year, (so pretty much an newbie) and I have a 14.5 that I’m setting up with an LPVO. I have a buddy who will sell me is trijicon TR24 1x4 with the red triangle and mount for $600, or I can get the newer TR25 1x6 German #4 crosshairs for just over $900 (mount not included). I prefer the TR25 but having a hard time justifying the extra spend. What do you all think? Is it worth the extra $$ for the TR25?

Happy Thanksgiving!

I wouldn’t pick either of those options in almost 2024.

The TR-24 could still be a good choice for something like an SBR where weight is a concern and you aren’t intending on longer shots, but on a 14.5 you give up a lot in the reticle.

The TR-25 has good glass, but for that price you are almost to a Razor 1-6 which is a far better choice, especially if you pick up a used one.

The Razor is the benchmark for a reason. If you can swing the price, you won’t be disappointed.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by dontshakepandas View Post
    I wouldn’t pick either of those options in almost 2024.

The TR-24 could still be a good choice for something like an SBR where weight is a concern and you aren’t intending on longer shots, but on a 14.5 you give up a lot in the reticle.

The TR-25 has good glass, but for that price you are almost to a Razor 1-6 which is a far better choice, especially if you pick up a used one.

The Razor is the benchmark for a reason. If you can swing the price, you won’t be disappointed.
    This ^^^.

If you can’t swing the Razor the PST II 1-6, Delta Stryker 1-6 or Steiner 1-4 would all be good options.

I have a green TR-24, and it’s more akin to a red dot with a magnifier. It’s ok but dated.

Site Supporter
    All this above.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    This ^^^.

If you can’t swing the Razor the PST II 1-6, Delta Stryker 1-6 or Steiner 1-4 would all be good options.

I have a green TR-24, and it’s more akin to a red dot with a magnifier. It’s ok but dated.
    I wanted to add:

I’ve been using Trijicon Accupoint (fiber optic /tritium) scopes since the 1990s.

The triangle reticle is OK but the ones with the center dots (mil dot / German #4 etc) are practically useless in many lighting conditions compared with the triangle.

If budget is an issue I would definitely look for a used Razor or Delta Stryker in ARFCOM or Snipershide over either of the options in the OP.

Having a bunch of people say the same thing usually will get the point across. I share the opinion that the Vortex Razor Gen II-E 1-6 is the definitive LPVO and represents the best design. When you look at the optics industry as a whole, the Razor is actually a budget friendly LPVO. I am not a Vortex fanboy by any means as I'm soured on their red dots and would pick Tract optics over Vortex in any other category of premium scopes. Even in the lower budget category I'd pick Athlon. Whoever designed the Razor is like the Eugene Stoner of LPVOs.

Take a good hard look at the Vortex PST 2 1-6 and the Trijicon Credo 1-6 before buying as those two are superb for the money below the Vortex Razor 1-6x E version.

Razor on sale for $1000 with code FCRZR500

https://www.focuscamera.com/vortex-r...d-reticle.html

You likely won’t find a better price on a new one than that.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

OP, what is your intended use? Because there aren’t many ranges that allow shooting past 100 yard, and duty/defensive use is rarely ever going to be past 25 yards, my most important factors are a true 1x with no fisheye, and true daylight brightness for the dot/illumination. Lots of LPVO’s have a legit 1x for up close work. But few offer a genuine daylight bright dot on a sunny summer day.

The LPVO’s I’ve seen that are daylight bright are the Swarovski, Kahles. Schmidt & Bender, and the Vortex Razor HD. There may be others but I can’t verify them. I am shopping for a Nightforce NX8 1-8 because I’ve seen so many reviews that it’s dot is daylight bright. It also has a good reticle for shooting at distance.

Other things to consider are the eyebox, edge to edge clarity, durability, and the type of reticle for shooting at distance. If you’re going to sit at a bench and shoot steel or paper then many of those things won’t matter so much. I don’t fiddle with the zero adjustments. I zero at 100 and use the reticle to hold over the target.

There are so many options now that it’s a bit overwhelming to research, especially since it’s hard to find them to look through before making a purchase. I will say you generally get what you pay for.

User Tag List