Page 22 of 28 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Agencies dropping Stacatto?

The instructor at my CPL class shared a story about a coworker whose 1911 fell out of his holster during a Lamaze class with his with wife. There was no AD/ND. However, the H & W acknowledge there was almost a fatality. Husband survived but it was a close thing.......
    Don’t just sit there – do something short sighted and stupid!

Quote Originally Posted by KevH View Post
    I think you nailed it right there.

Just remember, we've been here before.

During the 1980's (and very early 1990's) and the height of Jeff Cooper's Modern Technique, there was a 1911 craze that rose and then died off...and the enthusiasts were left.

During the early-to-mid-2000's with the adoption of the Springfield Professional by FBI HRT/SWAT, rise of Kimber, Wilson Combat, and guys coming back from Iraq and Afghanistan, there was 1911 craze that rose and then died off...and the enthusiasts were left.

Right now there is a 2011 craze initiated by Staccato. It too will die off in a few years....and the enthusiasts will be left.

Throughout most of the 20th Century most cops carried 38 Special revolvers with most being served by the S&W M&P or Colt Army Special/Official Police. Why? Because they were light enough to carry all day comfortably, easy for most to shoot reasonably well, offered adequate ballistic performance, and needed very little maintenance.

Now it is the 21st Century and most cops carry a Glock or S&W M&P. Why? Because they are light enough to carry all day comfortably, easy for most to shoot reasonably well, offer adequate ballistic performance, and need very little maintenance.

There have always been enthusiasts and outliers. S&W N frames, Colt Pythons, S&W 39/59's, H&K P7's, and 1911's were sprinkled in during the 20th Century. In the 21st Century we have 2011's and some other fad gun yet to be invented.

Since I'm an enthusiast though (like many spending time on this site) I'll dabble in the 1911/2011 and put up with their quirks.

I was shooting matches in the 80's during the Jeff Cooper time. The guys with 1911s
    usually won until they malfunctioned. Back then the 1911 wasn't a handgun, it was a hobby.

We now have a whole generation of shooters who never heard of a 1911/2011., until John Wick and Precious Butler. Now, it's a gun for the cool kids, kids who don't have a clue about the platforms idiosyncrasies. But, once the cool blasters are in service long enough those things will become evident. Sometime back, a young Deputy US Marshal on SOG showed me his then new Staccato. He was quite excited, and a bit shocked when I told him some things to watch for over time. He was surprised I knew anything about it, because I'm old and a CSO, which makes me an ignorant knuckle dragger in everyone's mind. I told him it was nothing more than a tarted up 1911, something I know about. He was agog.

This too shall pass.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    I’ve seen a direct correlation between “yeller/screamer” FIs in LE and FI’s who: can’t shoot at a high level, don’t demonstrate (or shoot in the presence of students), get jealous / bitchy when a student can shoot well and only have a limited number of canned responses for everything shooting related.
    There is a direct correlation between yelling at another adult in a professional environment and being emotionally 5 years old

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    There is a direct correlation between yelling at another adult in a professional environment and being emotionally 5 years old
    Welcome to medicine…….

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric_L View Post
    Welcome to medicine…….
    Haha. The culture is changing fortunately. There is less of it now even in surgery. Still some old grouches but they are going the way of the dinosaur

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Haha. The culture is changing fortunately. There is less of it now even in surgery. Still some old grouches but they are going the way of the dinosaur
    Decades overdue…….

Site Supporter
    Now, it's a gun for the cool kids, kids who don't have a clue about the platforms idiosyncrasies.
    Oh, I don't know - I see lots of old farts around here who are all excited and buying Staccatos and Platypus-es (?) even though the higher capacity is useless in NYS. It's because they have a 'better' trigger!
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Reese View Post
    Those people aren't instructors. They're hacks & target graders.
    A bit before I retired, we hired several officers from a nearby agency. At the end of a range session, one of them said that it had been good to have a range session without having someone yelling at him like a drill instructor. I know the FIs at the other agency and they really have no business acting like that.

Site Supporter
    It's not just the gun world. My first ski instructor was a DI Yeller - ditched that lesson plan. Also, a golf instructor - ditched him. Wanted to learn the saxophone - one lesson with a screamer - buh, bye. I could have been a world famous musician - oh, well.

I did stick with skiing though.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

User Tag List