Page 25 of 28 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Agencies dropping Stacatto?

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    Compete with a 2011, carry an EDC X9. Close??
    Close in that it has a hammer and uses a magazine, but otherwise not so close.

Curious as to why you don't carry a 2011?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Close in that it has a hammer and uses a magazine, but otherwise not so close.

Curious as to why you don't carry a 2011?
    There are a number of things that make the EDC X9 a better everyday for me . The number one thing is the grip safety. I won’t disable a factory safety on a defensive pistol. The X9 is more narrow in the grip, and carrying a spare mag is easier. 2011 mags chunky.

I do have an STI VIP, so I was close to going down that road before the EDC X9 came out.

There are a number of things that make the EDC X9 a better everyday for me . The number one thing is the grip safety. I won’t disable a factory safety on a defensive pistol. The X9 is more narrow in the grip, and carrying a spare mag is easier. 2011 mags chunky.

I do have an STI VIP, so I was close to going down that road before the EDC X9 came out.
    how are the internals of the X9 compared to a 1911/2011? I would guess it's similar to just having a factory pinned safety in terms of function.

Quote Originally Posted by Artemas2 View Post
    how are the internals of the X9 compared to a 1911/2011? I would guess it's similar to just having a factory pinned safety in terms of function.
    The EDC X9 has a one piece backstrap that goes the full length of the back of the frame. There is no pivoting of the part. Nothing to pin.

The EDC X9 has a one piece backstrap that goes the full length of the back of the frame. There is no pivoting of the part. Nothing to pin.
    I mean how do the overall safety characteristics function (hopefully that makes sense)? From what I can gather from just pictures, it functions like a 1911 with only a thumb safety.

Quote Originally Posted by Artemas2 View Post
    I mean how do the overall safety characteristics function (hopefully that makes sense)? From what I can gather from just pictures, it functions like a 1911 with only a thumb safety.
    I would say that’s an accurate description, yes.

It uses the other 1911 safety features, such as the half cock notch, and light firing pin heavy firing pin spring that many modern 1911s do, as well.

At one time I had a pair of those VIP's in 9mm and carried one daily when I was shooting 2011's every week in USPSA. It was a huge burden to dink with magazines until they ran.

I owned a mag tuning kit complete with gauges and hammering dies for the feed lips, I bought the J.L. Hardy stainless steel inserts to replace the polymer inserts that went in front of the mag's backstrap for 9mm, I dinked with springs as well to get at least a handful of my mags running well while the rest were reserved for practice only. I hated their proprietary recoil spring system and finally had a top tier gunsmith just build me a conventional Caspian commander upper for each of them. The same was true of my race guns wrt struggling with the mags, except for my 40's which were mostly trouble free. There was and probably still is a whole mini-industry of 2011 mag tuning.

If STI/Staccato had not brought the whole magazine manufacturing thing in house and gotten their act together on that front, none of this discussion would be happening. Nobody would have adopted the platform as a defensive firearm. It was a huge burden on those of us who attempted to do so before the mags came in house and got fixed.

I tried the Wilson EDC9, both the long and short slide versions and those guns were simply not for me. They ran well enough, but after about 1K rounds through each, I could not shoot them well for whatever reason, and just as the VIP when I had those, they seemed harder to carry IWB than a regular light weight commander or government model because the heavier thicker grip wanted to cant outward on me (IWB at 3:00), and I sent them down the road. Fortunately I got most of my money out of them as they had great resale value when I ditched them. I still have a box of EDC9 magazines I need to sell at some point.

None of that is relevant to the topic, the Staccato's probably work fine for LE duty use now in a duty rig with the current factory magazines. For all series 70 guns of any brand I adopted extra power firing pin springs, which I change with the recoil springs, as cited they come in the Wolff kits, and Ti firing pins, and I have never thought about it again.
    Last edited by fatdog; 12-04-2023 at 07:39 AM.
    Support the Second Amendment Foundation and the Firearms Policy Coalition, join and give!

I also owned two VIP’s…an all steel for matches and classes and an aluminum for carry. I bought the Dawson mag tuning kit and was able to get 18 out of 20 to lock back and give me somewhat acceptable reliability.
    Fast forward….
    I now have the C2 and a CS. The C2 with gen3 mags have been completely reliable with close to 7k rds through using only three mags. I’ve not changed/replaced anything on those mags
    I was interested in your comments in that i thought the Staccato mags were actually taken out of in-house production and are now made by Checkmate while the STI mags were hobbled together in a room behind the STI factory?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Citius View Post
    I also owned two VIP’s…an all steel for matches and classes and an aluminum for carry. I bought the Dawson mag tuning kit and was able to get 18 out of 20 to lock back and give me somewhat acceptable reliability.
    Fast forward….
    I now have the C2 and a CS. The C2 with gen3 mags have been completely reliable with close to 7k rds through using only three mags. I’ve not changed/replaced anything on those mags
    I was interested in your comments in that i thought the Staccato mags were actually taken out of in-house production and are now made by Checkmate while the STI mags were hobbled together in a room behind the STI factory?
    Re: Stacatto mags.

I’ve posted that here several times.

The biggest improvement Stacatto made to the 2011 IMHO was redesigning the magazines to the “Gen2” configuration (since further upgraded to Gen 3) and following most other manufacturers by farming out magazine production to a company which specializes in magazine production.

I took a factory tour back in the STI days. The mags were made in house via a very “Gepetto’s workshop” process by a group of employees who were all members of the same extended family. Having seen them in action, I am completely unsurprised that the old magazines were not consistent and required tuning.

Thanks… I thought I read that and at 74 could not remember where!

User Tag List