Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Two dead in 'attempted terror attack' on Rainbow Bridge in New York

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    My drive 5-6 days a week for almost 13 years has been 183-30-Loop 12. The inability/unwillingness to follow and the willful ignorance of basic rules of the road and common courtesy is simply staggering...

Most of the true old timers here in the Rocky Mountain Wastelands of Culture and Refinement do the two finger wave off the steering wheel to oncoming vehicles on the back roads. Most newer people just dont.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Most of the true old timers here in the Rocky Mountain Wastelands of Culture and Refinement do the two finger wave off the steering wheel to oncoming vehicles on the back roads. Most newer people just dont.
    We lost most of the rural back road driving wave sometime in the early 2000’s here in Alabama.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Site Supporter
    The most fun in TX is watching folks bail off the freeway when there is congestion. One part of I-10 in SATX is on a pretty steep rise. When traffic was heavy you would see guys in trucks hurtling down the slope. Or you would see grooves in the medians where folks were turning around. Going where I dunno.

The best was on I-35 on the way to Austin. So traffic is staffed. Mr. Muh Truck drives onto the median. However, the media is really an arc segment. So he goes down one side and gets stuck on the on the upswing of the arc. His rear bumper is now suspended on the down side of the median that he entered. So he is suspended by both bumpers and no tire purchase. Family drama with the lady is ongoing in the cab. Wonder how that worked out?

Next, I am going to Karl Rehn's for a carbine class. It's near Bastrop. The weather is hellstorm but stupid ol' me keeps going. There is crap all over I-35. I call Karl who says the weather is OK by him (that's because the storm is following me). Sheet metal on the road. Seems a tornado just went by. Oops. A guy is standing by the side of the road. His truck (gotta be a truck) is in the flooded drainage ditch (how did it get there) floating in the raging stream. It is heading for an overpass archway that is clearly smaller in diameter than his truck. Oh, dear, I drive by.

Go over flooded intersections to get to class (outside of Bastrop). Soggy class but ok. IIRC, in that class or another, some guy drives in with a Miata. Can't get out at the end as the dirt road is mud. Has to be hauled out. My Honda Civic made it through though. In that class, a guy had a Kel-tec 223 carbine whose stock cracked out. Karl lent him a Marlin Camp Carbine to finish. My 1990's Olympic Arms, just after the ban, was fine. It made it until 2016 when it decided to break parts. Sold it to a friend who likes to fix things.

That Civic drove thorough lots of crappy weather in Oregon and TX just fine. Made 250K miles before I gave it to charity.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    It's been quite some times since I've driven in Texas. When I did it was always in Small Town Country in the eastern part of the state.

Driving around that part of the state was quite nice. Most people would actually pull over onto the shoulder to let you pass them. It was rare to actually need to use the left lane at all.
    It is very nice and thoughtful of them to do so.

Unfortunately, I've lost count of how many chips and cracks I've gotten in my windshields from these acts of kindness. Maybe Texas used to sweep the shoulders back in the day and have given it up or something.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    The most fun in TX is watching folks bail off the freeway when there is congestion. One part of I-10 in SATX is on a pretty steep rise. When traffic was heavy you would see guys in trucks hurtling down the slope. Or you would see grooves in the medians where folks were turning around. Going where I dunno.
    I saw the same thing in Beaumont on US 69 on the way to the refineries. Guys wouldn't even slow down, they'd just drive down the grass to the service road and keep going.

Go over flooded intersections to get to class (outside of Bastrop). Soggy class but ok. IIRC, in that class or another, some guy drives in with a Miata. Can't get out at the end as the dirt road is mud. Has to be hauled out. My Honda Civic made it through though. In that class, a guy had a Kel-tec 223 carbine whose stock cracked out. Karl lent him a Marlin Camp Carbine to finish. My 1990's Olympic Arms, just after the ban, was fine. It made it until 2016 when it decided to break parts. Sold it to a friend who likes to fix things.

That Civic drove thorough lots of crappy weather in Oregon and TX just fine. Made 250K miles before I gave it to charity.
    I had an '82 Civic wagon that made it through almost-flooded dirt roads in south AZ and through the snow in PA when I went hunting. If it couldn't make it up the hills in the snow going forward, I'd drift back to the bottom and turn around and go up them in reverse. It was an awesome car, the salt on the roads in PA killed the body.
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

Aside from those operating around Austin or Dallas, I found most drivers in Texas to be pretty decent.

Chicago stands out for terrible drivers, but I don't think they're objectively any worse than NYC - the rest of the midwest is just so good that Chicago seems worse than it is in contrast. Nashville is like that too.

If it is raining I'd award Los Angeles drivers the title worst in the nation.

Investigators are looking into a possible mechanical failure. The couple's left-hand drive 2022 Bentley Flying Spur was not part of a sticky accelerator pedal recall for 2021 right-hand drive Flying Spurs.

https://archive.ph/2xpHj

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    We lost most of the rural back road driving wave sometime in the early 2000’s here in Alabama.
    My current mission in life is to bring the West Virginia backroads driving (and walking) wave to Northeastern Nevada, where it already had a head start. I think I might be succeeding in my neighborhood.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    My current mission in life is to bring the West Virginia backroads driving (and walking) wave to Northeastern Nevada, where it already had a head start. I think I might be succeeding in my neighborhood.
    Ive initiated it in the midwest, the farmer types out of town respond. They seem slightly surprised but respond.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    I had an '82 Civic wagon that made it through almost-flooded dirt roads in south AZ and through the snow in PA when I went hunting. If it couldn't make it up the hills in the snow going forward, I'd drift back to the bottom and turn around and go up them in reverse. It was an awesome car, the salt on the roads in PA killed the body.
    We had a 1990 (IIRC) wagon 4x4 (high/low range) with a 6spd standard (L, 2-5, OD). It had it all and went anywhere.

The wave still happens in the western part of the county, which is mainly ranches. However, the big city is eating up territory fast.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

User Tag List