Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fourth Circuit Finds Maryland's handgun purchase license requirement unconstitutional

Site Supporter

Fourth Circuit Finds Maryland's handgun purchase license requirement unconstitutional

Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

My layman's understanding is that a nonresident can't even possess a handgun in the state of MD unless they're traveling through and taking advantage of the protections in FOPA `86. No 'extra' stops, etc.

What's the basis for that? Is it the 'preliminary' Handgun Qualification License or the registration part? If it's the Handgun Qualification License that's no longer necessary does that essentially legalize nonresidents possessing handguns in the state of MD?

Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    If it's the Handgun Qualification License that's no longer necessary does that essentially legalize nonresidents possessing handguns in the state of MD?
    Those are separate issues. I think that this latest ruling just 86ed the HQL requirement for purchase, and it doesn't change anything pertaining to non-MD residents transporting handguns in or through Maryland.

Hawaii is invalidating all previous Handgun Safety certificates on 01JAN2024. You can't purchase a pistol, or apply for CCW without one. It's gonna be a F'n mess come January when the population tries to get re-certification. I wonder if this ruling will make the state change course.

Site Supporter
    It is the license required to purchase a handgun in MD (Handgun Qualification License) which is affected by the ruling. Prior to this ruling, purchasing (or renting or receiving) a handgun required taking state-mandated training to obtain the necessary purchase license.

The necessity to have a MD Wear and Carry permit to carry a gun in MD remains unaffected. The requirement of a good reason was eliminated after Bruen, and other litigation to address the new "sensitive places" is proceeding. There is currently a preliminary injunction against enforcing that law in private businesses (but not private residences), places which serve alcohol, and within 1,000 feet of a demonstration.

MD has no reciprocity with any other state. A nonresident can obtain a MD Wear and Carry license, but must either take the training course established by the Maryland State Police or show an exemption to that requirement. Taking the MD training class most likely requires a trip to MD. The nonresident must also be fingerprinted electronically by one of the businesses in MD performing that service. The fingerprinting cannot be done out of state, and my understanding (from the place that fingerprinted me) is that this is because there is currently no mechanism for electronic fingerprints to cross state lines. So, the process of obtaining the nonresident license will require at least one trip to MD and possibly more than one. Obviously this is simpler for people living close to MD.
    Last edited by BillSWPA; 11-22-2023 at 02:46 PM.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    Hawaii is invalidating all previous Handgun Safety certificates on 01JAN2024. You can't purchase a pistol, or apply for CCW without one. It's gonna be a F'n mess come January when the population tries to get re-certification. I wonder if this ruling will make the state change course.
    That’s like a few dozen people, right?
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    I hope so, but unfortunately some federal appeals courts are straining logic to try to support gun restrictions. The 9th Circuit appears to be one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    It is the license required to purchase a handgun in MD (Handgun Qualification License) which is affected by the ruling. Prior to this ruling, purchasing (or renting or receiving) a handgun required taking state-mandated training to obtain the necessary purchase license.

The necessity to have a MD Wear and Carry permit to carry a gun in MD remains unaffected. The requirement of a good reason was eliminated after Bruen, and other litigation to address the new "sensitive places" is proceeding. There is currently a preliminary injunction against enforcing that law in private businesses (but not private residences), places which serve alcohol, and within 1,000 feet of a demonstration.

MD has no reciprocity with any other state. A nonresident can obtain a MD Wear and Carry license, but must either take the training course established by the Maryland State Police or show an exemption to that requirement. Taking the MD training class most likely requires a trip to MD. The nonresident must also be fingerprinted electronically by one of the businesses in MD performing that service. The fingerprinting cannot be done out of state, and my understanding (from the place that fingerprinted me) is that this is because there is currently no mechanism for electronic fingerprints to cross state lines. So, the process of obtaining the nonresident license will require at least one trip to MD and possibly more than one. Obviously this is simpler for people living close to MD.
    I just took the MD wear and carry course as a nonresident. It is mandated that it takes 16 hours so make sure you have a hotel booked 😆

Edit: my course took 16 hours of classroom time along with 30 people shooting qualifications in strings of 5 or 6, so day two started at 10am and if you were in the last string you probably didn't leave until 930-10

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post

I live in northern Virginia and there are instructors who teach the required 16 hour course at a local range. Undoubtedly proximity to the (un) Free State is a factor. I wouldn't be surprised to find instructors in WV and PA who can teach the course. There were also booths at a local gun show last weekend offering fingerprinting services. I believe they collected the prints and transported them physically to MD. I've held off applying until some of these issues are clarified.

Quote Originally Posted by Shades View Post
    I live in northern Virginia and there are instructors who teach the required 16 hour course at a local range. Undoubtedly proximity to the (un) Free State is a factor. I wouldn't be surprised to find instructors in WV and PA who can teach the course. There were also booths at a local gun show last weekend offering fingerprinting services. I believe they collected the prints and transported them physically to MD. I've held off applying until some of these issues are clarified.
    My understanding is they have to use a LiveScan vendor who takes digital prints and transmits them to the state police in MD. You have to indicate that you are applying for a wear and carry (or previously an hql), the cost for doing the prints was 65 bucks

User Tag List