Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Series 80 Commandee

Series 80 Commandee

Came across this customized Series 80 at an LGS and wondering if thr circled emblem means anything, aside from a special meaning to the owner. Like a custom shop’s mark, or special run.

Name:  IMG_3850.jpg
Views: 548
Size:  70.0 KB

I sorta have an eye on it. I may ask to disassemble it to see if the barrel has been upgraded.

The mods seem pretty practical, except the thumb safety being loose. It engaged when I took a proper 2 hand hold. If I end up buying I’ll stipulate their gunsmith fix it.

Ted Yost package from awhile back. The One Ass to Risk.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

The marking is "One Asterisk" or "One Ass to Risk". It was coined by a gun writer, Gary Paul Johnston. The pistol is likely from Yost-Bonitz as Mr. Johnston licensed them to build pistols based on his concepts. The "Yost" is Ted Yost, one of the masters of the 1911. If the pistol is in decent shape and the price is not outrageous, I would grab it. It may not look like much as most of the work was reliability-focused, but the pistol should run.

If the price is reasonable, buy it. Mine is one of the best 1911 I've ever had. And don't be turned off by stock barrels. If they are fit up right, they will shoot great. I can already see it has the frontstrap serrations option, like mine does:

Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post
    Came across this customized Series 80 at an LGS and wondering if thr circled emblem means anything,

What's engraved on the side of the dustcover, "Yost-Bonitz Custom", or "Yost Custom"?

As others note, it’s the old Johnston motto. I concur if the price is at all decent, buy it.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    I concur with what others have posted. Unless it is in overall bad shape or the price is way out there, that gun may be a real good find.

Colt makes pretty decent barrels, but only their Custom Shop barrels are hand fit.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    It was coined by a gun writer, Gary Paul Johnston.
    As an aside, I once owned an early blued S&W 1911 they sent to Mr. Johnston for an eval/review. It had the dratted firing pin safety, but other than that it was an excellent non-cataloged gun and I probably should have kept it.

This could be a true gem of a 1911 purchase once the issue with the weak safety detent is addressed. Hopefully there was no bubba-smithing after the YB work was done! I'd be wheeling & dealing to pick it up.
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Should run about $800 with my member discount, so if it’s still there today, I’ll probably grab it.

User Tag List