Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I'm making the SCD/Holstering Safety for the CZ P-10; Ask me your questions!

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Welcome to Pistol-Forum, Ben. There has been a lot of interest in SCDs for non-Glock pistols, so we're excited to see this happening.

Also, please note that Forum policy is that you need to be a Supporting Business to advertise here.
    Understandable! I will keep that in mind for the future.

I was trying to PM LittleLebowski about membership(Tom Jones and I had talked and he pointed me towards him), but it doesn't seem like I have access to PMs? I don't exactly know why?

Quote Originally Posted by benmac View Post
    Understandable! I will keep that in mind for the future.

I was trying to PM LittleLebowski about membership(Tom Jones and I had talked and he pointed me towards him), but it doesn't seem like I have access to PMs? I don't exactly know why?
    I already sent him a message. LL is really busy, so it may take a little while. Meanwhile let's carry on discussing your product.

(New accounts are moderated and don't have PM privileges because we are under constant attack from spammers, astroturfers, nutjobs, and worse)
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

The CZ P-10 is just like the Glock, and isn't fully tensioned. It may be partially tensioned, but the striker has to move back quite a bit. I can understand your desire for manual safeties, and even though I don't personally agree with them for concealed carry, I would consider making that sort of thing. For now though, I am looking at keeping it simple.
    That makes good sense from an entrepreneurship standpoint. Focus on one product first and do it well.

Adding a safety to a gun that was not designed for one seems... risky. (I agree with you about safeties being a bad idea for defensive handguns, but understand why people want them).

I spoke with Tom Jones a little while ago over the phone, and I have to be honest, I don't think I'll be able to hold a candle to what he did with the one for the Glock. The amount of testing, rounds, etc. I don't have the ability to do that.

I have five machined production quality parts that I am going to send out to thehumblemarksman, workthetrigger, and green_ops_yoshi/Joshua Shaw before the end of the month. I look forward to any feedback I hear from those guys.

The part that this replaces in the P-10 is plastic to begin with. The material I am using is 416 SS, and I can't really imagine it would be a point of failure given the stock one is plastic.

I will be shooting 500 rds on one once the parts are back from the coating facility. I will update you all as well as my social media following once I have done that.
    I'm sure Tom discussed this, but I want to mention that another failure mode is the SCD sliding out of its channel under recoil. The added mass of the metal plate can increase the likelihood of that occurring. A light plastic backplate can be easily held in place by the striker spring tension on the spacer sleeve--even if it fits loosely. A heavier metal SCD, with a hinged metal plate attached creates greater inertial forces, and more complex dynamics during recoil and return of the slide. The SCD backplate has to have a deep recess for the striker spacer, and also needs to have a tight fit in the slide grooves. But, if there's variation in that dimension (groove width), you may run into a situation where your device might not fit all guns.

Happy to discuss further by PM. With pictures.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

I will be shooting 500 rds on one once the parts are back from the coating facility. I will update you all as well as my social media following once I have done that.
    I’m sure there are folks here that would offer to beta test for you.

Some of us shoot quite a high number of rounds per month.

Kudos to you for working on this!

Site Supporter
    That makes good sense from an entrepreneurship standpoint. Focus on one product first and do it well.

Adding a safety to a gun that was not designed for one seems... risky. (I agree with you about safeties being a bad idea for defensive handguns, but understand why people want them).

I'm sure Tom discussed this, but I want to mention that another failure mode is the SCD sliding out of its channel under recoil. The added mass of the metal plate can increase the likelihood of that occurring. A light plastic backplate can be easily held in place by the striker spring tension on the spacer sleeve--even if it fits loosely. A heavier metal SCD, with a hinged metal plate attached creates greater inertial forces, and more complex dynamics during recoil and return of the slide. The SCD backplate has to have a deep recess for the striker spacer, and also needs to have a tight fit in the slide grooves. But, if there's variation in that dimension (groove width), you may run into a situation where your device might not fit all guns.

Wasn’t there an issue with a few of the Tau SCDs coming loose on Gen 1-4 Glocks?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    I’m sure there are folks here that would offer to beta test for you.

Some of us shoot quite a high number of rounds per month.

Kudos to you for working on this!

@benmac

Having JCN beta test for you would probably make you money, or at the very least, save you money.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    @benmac

Having JCN beta test for you would probably make you money, or at the very least, save you money.
    I have a whole pile of P10 mags from the DWX…

Have been wanting to try the P10 but haven’t had a reason yet so far….

I spoke with Tom Jones a little while ago over the phone, and I have to be honest, I don't think I'll be able to hold a candle to what he did with the one for the Glock. The amount of testing, rounds, etc. I don't have the ability to do that.

I have five machined production quality parts that I am going to send out to thehumblemarksman, workthetrigger, and green_ops_yoshi/Joshua Shaw before the end of the month. I look forward to any feedback I hear from those guys.
    If you're looking for another person to send one too might I suggest Jason Brown.
    https://instagram.com/jasonpbrownshooting

I will absolutely take you up on the PM ing about the details.

One thing that might work in my favor is that the recess where the striker spacer slides into on the CZ P-10 backplate appears to be about double the depth of the 43x Tau SCD I have on hand, which makes me think that might not be as big an issue? Hopefully?

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    I have a whole pile of P10 mags from the DWX…

Have been wanting to try the P10 but haven’t had a reason yet so far….
    I do have an extra that I'm willing to spare, especially if you're going to put a lot of rounds on it!

User Tag List