Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Nobody wants a 40 anymore

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Neat. Probably a BUG if he worked in uniform.
    Double breasted buttons uniform an spatz/riding boots.
    Before my father passed, he said that his father kept it in an inside pocket.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Site Supporter
    If you have a 23 and need mags whether it is Gen 3, 4 or 5. $14.99 for new ones with $5 shipping. I have no affiliation with them other than being a customer.

https://www.recoilgunworks.com/glock...13rd-magazine/

Quote Originally Posted by CSW View Post
    Double breasted buttons uniform an spatz/riding boots.
    Before my father passed, he said that his father kept it in an inside pocket.
    Nothing much tops family history that you can hold in your hands.

-Rainman

Quote Originally Posted by rainman View Post
    Nothing much tops family history that you can hold in your hands.

-Rainman
    Somewhere, I have my grandfather's badge as well.

Got dad's patrolman's badges, Sargeant badges and his original service revolver.
    But I thread drift.

I've owned a 96a1, a USPc, and a 229 in 40.
    What memory recalls, the 229 shot the sweetest.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Site Supporter
    I’ve owned two:

First was a Firestar M40 that kind of started to fall apart after being an enthusiastic young shooter’s only centerfire pistol for a few years. Star had gone belly-up, so that lifetime warranty that the store promised me was a reason to buy it was worthless.

Second was a nearly S&W SD40VE I gave a soldier buddy a couple of hundred bucks for when he needed cash. The Firestar was more fun to shoot, but the SD was a good, solid gun for a very low price. Smooth DA trigger that a lot of people don’t like B/C they want a short, crisp single action trigger in a striker gun with no manual safety for some reason.

I only had it for a few weeks before I was offered $50 more than I paid for it, and off it went.

I’m babysitting another SD40VE (for a friend who has a mentally ill kid) that I’ve shot a bit. Every bit as good as the first one.

Most of my pistols are .22LR, .38 Special, and 9mm, with two G42s, one .32 ACP pocket gun, one .45 ACP, and one .44 Special. All of the .357s are gone (the 60-9 says it’s a baby .357, but I don’t believe it) because my wrists didn’t really like it except in the 6” 28-2, but that gun was really too big for my purposes.

The .40 doesn’t really give me anything I need, so I’ve avoided going back to it - I think my wrists wouldn’t appreciate me shooting it regularly. In reference to the 9mm +P: I recently shot a magazine of 124gr Gold Dot +P through my G26, and was a bit surprised at how energetic the recoil was. Very similar to shooting .40 from a plastic gun - and not going to be repeated, those are now reserved for the Beretta.

I had a 229 and USPc back when they first rolled them out. The trigger on the 229 was so much better but it wouldn't always feed my reloads reliably while the HK would. I sold the 229 to a firefighter buddy of mine, who still has it but doesn't shoot it. Maybe I'll see if I can buy it back from him and slap some new night sights on it.

Site Supporter
    I have four .40 pistols in the gun safe. One is my former duty weapon (SIG226R). Another is my supposedly smaller off-duty 229 which I seldom carried because it really had no advantage over the 226R. I also have a Glock 27 purchased to utilize duty ammunition. The last is an M&P40. I like the M&P series and instructors were getting free ammunition at the time of purchase.

Truth be told, I was already having misgivings about the .40 when I was nominated to write the proposal for the agency to transition to it. This is not to say that the round is inadequate, but I was having doubts about the need to transition. I did enjoy telling two executive officers who felt a need to bother me in the station parking lot about the transition that the decision was made by two upwardly mobile friends of theirs who tasked me with writing the memorandum recommending the transition.

If someone wants a .40 for sentiment's sake or because they like a particular pistol or because they believe bigger is better (but .45 too big), so be it. The better .40 pistols will probably outlast the shooter. While the pistol may be more prone to failure over time and ammunition than 9mm and has more recoil, the ammunition has certainly stopped any number of criminals, communists, and crazies.

Given the number of .40 handguns in the wild, I don't see availability of ammunition being an issue in our lifetimes. We will, however, likely see slower improvement in .40 cartridges than in 9mm due to the nine's greater popularity.

Quote Originally Posted by DMCutter View Post
    I had a 229 and USPc back when they first rolled them out. The trigger on the 229 was so much better but it wouldn't always feed my reloads reliably while the HK would. I sold the 229 to a firefighter buddy of mine, who still has it but doesn't shoot it. Maybe I'll see if I can buy it back from him and slap some new night sights on it.
    Still have my P229 and USPc in .40. The P229 does shoot softer. Not sure the factory trigger was all that much better, but it cleans up much easier than the HK. I believe the HK would benefit from a metal trigger, since it does flex a bit in DA mode.

On the other hand, the HK carries much better IMO. The P229 is a bit of a brick.

As someone that was mostly dedicated to the 1911 platform, I find ergonomic issues with each, the slide stop on the Sig, the mag release on the HK.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldherkpilot View Post
    Well said. I would add that most of the 9mm loads that "equal" the .40 are +P loads. Apples to apples, +P 9mm loads aren't much more pleasant to shoot than .40s. There are no +P .40 loads, its all full-house. Handloaders can cook up their own softballs (which I do) but off the shelf its all the boom all the time. It may be out of vogue and it'll never be a plinker like the 9, but I think it'll be around for awhile.
    Yes and no. While all .40 factory loads may be full house, there is in fact quite a bit of difference in the recoil characteristics of different .40 cartridges. I have two .40 guns - an M&P 2.0 compact and a BHP Mk III - and with either 165 gr ammo is noticeably harsher and snappier than 180 gr stuff. I'm working through a case of R-P Leadless 180 gr and even in the M&P it's not at all unpleasant. The case of 165 gr Blazer Aluminum that preceded it became unfun by the end of a 50 rd box in the M&P. 165 gr Speer GD was even less fun and I've read that the old 155 gr JHP that some LE agencies issued was quite unpleasant. Sticking to 180 grainers in a full size gun does a lot to improve time at the range with the .40. I agree that we're unlikely to see a return to the .40 for organizational use, but it'll retain modest popularity among civilians for quite some time to come. I enjoy shooting mine and have no plans to sell either, but I don't carry them either; the EDC gig goes to a small 9, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Shades View Post
    Yes and no. While all .40 factory loads may be full house, there is in fact quite a bit of difference in the recoil characteristics of different .40 cartridges. I have two .40 guns - an M&P 2.0 compact and a BHP Mk III - and with either 165 gr ammo is noticeably harsher and snappier than 180 gr stuff. I'm working through a case of R-P Leadless 180 gr and even in the M&P it's not at all unpleasant. The case of 165 gr Blazer Aluminum that preceded it became unfun by the end of a 50 rd box in the M&P. 165 gr Speer GD was even less fun and I've read that the old 155 gr JHP that some LE agencies issued was quite unpleasant. Sticking to 180 grainers in a full size gun does a lot to improve time at the range with the .40. I agree that we're unlikely to see a return to the .40 for organizational use, but it'll retain modest popularity among civilians for quite some time to come. I enjoy shooting mine and have no plans to sell either, but I don't carry them either; the EDC gig goes to a small 9, of course.
    155s and 165s could be loaded full power or light, some catalogued and some not. For example, the 165 GDHP came in at least two variants. There was a Federal Hi-Shok 155 that was pretty light, but the (border patrol?) 155 with the Remington bullet was hot.

Had a group of shooters that transitioned from 9mm back to gen4 G22 .40s (!) and brought bulk packs of WWB 165 .40 to training that was super weak. It was like shooting a 9mm 115 at ~1250-1300fps. Think M1152.

Depends on the sku. The lower power 140-165s in gen5 Glocks are quite agreeable.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

User Tag List