Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Nobody wants a 40 anymore

What’s the hives thoughts regarding the shooting impressions and durability of the HK VP40’s? They seem to have come down in price and with the rebate it might not be a bad dive into 40 provided they have held up.

I was inspired to take my USPc 40 to the range today for the first time in a while. It was as snappy as I remembered with 165 and bordered on unpleasant shooting weak hand. Next up was the USPc 9, downright pussycat by comparison. Glad to live in Murica and have choices.

This thread about the .40 reminds me of a supposed quote of Jonn Travolta when he went from mega star to not finding work (which he has rebounded from, obviously). I was never really THAT good, but I was never really THAT bad.

Ironically I just very recently started carrying a .40 for the first time in several years. I decided to give the baby Glock another go around for reasons. I happen to have a 27 and not a 26, so be it.

Quote Originally Posted by Virtuosity Student View Post
    What’s the hives thoughts regarding the shooting impressions and durability of the HK VP40’s? They seem to have come down in price and with the rebate it might not be a bad dive into 40 provided they have held up.
    I had one; it was a good pistol. Detailed disassembly is not for the faint of heart, and is best done in an administrative setting, but realistically for 99% of use a simple field-strip is more than adequate. In size, it straddled the fence between compact and duty sized. Accuracy and reliability were superb, and the receiver ergonomic tailorability via the interchangeable supplied backstraps and side panels was excellent. Accuracy was stellar. Mine was the LE package, which provided 3 magazines and Meprolight tritium night sights, which I liked, and it's a great package deal.

While I prefer my new Glock Gen5 G23, I have no hesitation in recommending the VP40, and HK is currently offering a killer magazine plus-up offer. https://hk-usa.com/

Best, Jon
    Sponsored by Check-Mate Industries and BH Spring Solutions
    Certified Glock Armorer

Do y'all think I should sell my gen 4 Glock 22s and get a pair of 1st gen M&P40s or just not worry about it? I bought them pre-covid when they were this cheap and I was planning to keep one just to have a .40 launcher and leave the other at my dad's for a woods/mountain gun. So they probably won't get shot a ton. I used to have some M&Ps and liked them but decided to thin out my collection and associated mags and support gear. Now I don't know if I'm just worried about how the Glocks will hold up or looking for an excuse to get back into M&Ps.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    Do y'all think I should sell my gen 4 Glock 22s and get a pair of 1st gen M&P40s or just not worry about it? I bought them pre-covid when they were this cheap and I was planning to keep one just to have a .40 launcher and leave the other at my dad's for a woods/mountain gun. So they probably won't get shot a ton. I used to have some M&Ps and liked them but decided to thin out my collection and associated mags and support gear. Now I don't know if I'm just worried about how the Glocks will hold up or looking for an excuse to get back into M&Ps.
    I'd keep the Gen4 G22s and not worry. I like the Gen4 G22 not just for its performance with .40 cartridges, but that I can make it an instant G31 in .357 SIG by swapping out barrels; while aftermarket ones are available, I think it's highly unlikely that Glock will come up with a Gen5 .357 SIG series.

While to date I've only launched 1599 rounds through my Gen4 G22/31, it's been a flawless performer, and I think that the Gen5 G22 is a distinct improvement, with it's heavier slide and the other Gen5 improvement. However, given my relatively light use of my G22/31 and similar likely future use, swapping the Gen4 for a Gen5 G22 is insufficiently justifiable for me-I'm satisfied that my Glock Gen5 .40 needs are met with my Gen5 G23.

I've never personally trudged down the Smith & Wesson M&P rabbit trail, particularly given the issues with the first generation 9mms. While the .40 M&Ps have played to good reviews here, I'm insufficiently tempted to go that route.

Best, Jon
    Sponsored by Check-Mate Industries and BH Spring Solutions
    Certified Glock Armorer

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I knew I liked you for a reason. I have my dad’s old duty P99QA in .40, and am rather fond of it.
    I had a first edition P99as in 40, that the hive at Walther forums had a group buy Bar-Sto 357 sig barrel.
    Bar-Sto built them as drop inside.
    It was "cool" to have the option of 40 or 357.

As I recall, it shot well, but nothing special.

I carried an AS in 9mm for about 3 years.
    Very accurate pistol.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Quote Originally Posted by CSW View Post
    I had a first edition P99as in 40, that the hive at Walther forums had a group buy Bar-Sto 357 sig barrel.
    Bar-Sto built them as drop inside.
    It was "cool" to have the option of 40 or 357.

As I recall, it shot well, but nothing special.

I carried an AS in 9mm for about 3 years.
    Very accurate pistol.
    I’ve often felt that if I was told I could only keep one pistol, I would be happy with my P99c. It’s that good.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Probably in minority here. I have one .40. : Glock 27. Great little pistol and shoots. Like a big gun. I’ll get a 9mm barrel eventually.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DMCutter View Post
    I was inspired to take my USPc 40 to the range today for the first time in a while. It was as snappy as I remembered with 165 and bordered on unpleasant shooting weak hand. Next up was the USPc 9, downright pussycat by comparison. Glad to live in Murica and have choices.
    180 grain is significantly more pleasant to shoot out of those vs 155-165 grain.

User Tag List