Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Nobody wants a 40 anymore

Quote Originally Posted by SCCY Marshal View Post
    I'll take solace in Beretta having set out to make the world's best 40 caliber DA/SA pistol series, having succeeded, and the 9mm crowd now finding it a trendy low-recoil compact carry option. You're welcome; the Short & Weak gave you that.
    If Langdon + Beretta had offered PX4CC in 40 (a JXC40GEL?) I probably would've bought it instead of the 9x19. My favorite RSO still loves his 8040.

Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    I probably ought to buy a few more pallets
    How many pallets do you have already...

Name:  Pallets.jpg
Views: 464
Size:  56.2 KB

I’ve thought of buying one many times just because it’s SOOO unpopular that you can always find ammo on the shelves during panic buying periods lol. But then I have to stock another caliber, more mags, parts, and cleaning supplies, etc. It’s just not worth it to me.

I’d consider a 4006TSW CHP at the right price just because I’ve always wanted one, but that’s about it. Every other time I’ve seen a .40 even at a good price, I usually decide to sink the funds (if I choose to spend them at all) into finishing one of my other many unfinished projects instead…

Quote Originally Posted by Basher View Post
    I’ve thought of buying one many times just because it’s SOOO unpopular that you can always find ammo on the shelves during panic buying periods lol. But then I have to stock another caliber, more mags, parts, and cleaning supplies, etc. It’s just not worth it to me.

I’d consider a 4006TSW CHP at the right price just because I’ve always wanted one, but that’s about it. Every other time I’ve seen a .40 even at a good price, I usually decide to sink the funds (if I choose to spend them at all) into finishing one of my other many unfinished projects instead…
    Honestly, if I'm going to get a backup caliber for autos, it would be .45acp, and probably a Sig P220.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Honestly, if I'm going to get a backup caliber for autos, it would be .45acp, and probably a Sig P220.
    Yep. I have a nice 1911 built for me by a buddy who’s no longer with us, so it rarely sees the light of day. I’m lacking any classic Sigs right now so I’d tend to agree here. I need a 226/MK25 and a good P220, and seeing as how I already have a stash of .45 (albeit very small), it’s still more than the amount of .40 I have (which is exactly 0 lol).

I shoot more 40 than anything else. 9mm OFB is cheaper than 40 but 40 is cheaper than 357sig , 45 , 10mm and others so probably more of it still being shot than the "40 is dead " internet crowd thinks is being shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Basher View Post
    Yep. I have a nice 1911 built for me by a buddy who’s no longer with us, so it rarely sees the light of day. I’m lacking any classic Sigs right now so I’d tend to agree here. I need a 226/MK25 and a good P220, and seeing as how I already have a stash of .45 (albeit very small), it’s still more than the amount of .40 I have (which is exactly 0 lol).
    A classic S&W 3rd gen .45acp like a 4506 would also be acceptable.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Taylor View Post
    I shoot more 40 than anything else. 9mm OFB is cheaper than 40 but 40 is cheaper than 357sig , 45 , 10mm and others so probably more of it still being shot than the "40 is dead " internet crowd thinks is being shot.
    Local ranges in my area, Other than PD training, Report far more 45 brass on the ground and sales of 45 than 40

Forty will stay around for a long time as there is a lot of guns out there and a lot of those guns are hard to get rid of

Also appeals to the crowd that believes slight ballistic advantages trump shot placement and platform durability and shoot-ability

Not familiar with that crowd. The crowd I run with puts accuracy first and considers a harder hit with equal accuracy to be an advantage.

I have shot the hotter 9mm loads with a conversion barrel in the same .40 pistol back to back. Very little if any difference in recoil and control.

I prefer bigger but it probably only matters in a very small % of shootings. I have a couple of 9mm Shields for ankle carry but on the belt I prefer something a bit stronger.

Reviewer of the Tools
    There's a Beretta 96D Brigadier on Gunbroker right now that is calling my name for no other reason than the fact that I have ammo cans full of .40 and nothing to shoot it through.

User Tag List