Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Nobody wants a 40 anymore

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    180 grain is significantly more pleasant to shoot out of those vs 155-165 grain.
    I just happened to have a range pack of 165 in my bag. I do recall 180 being much softer shooting. My SD ammo is 180.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DMCutter View Post
    I just happened to have a range pack of 165 in my bag. I do recall 180 being much softer shooting. My SD ammo is 180.
    We had very good results with 180 grain HST.

Quote Originally Posted by KevH View Post
    If you can find a S&W M&P 40 2.0 5" for cheap my personal opinion is that is the epitome of the caliber.

Just a plain-jain S&W M&P 40 though is a fantastic gun and those can be head for quite cheap these days.
    I agree. It’s deer season here in VA, and I’m carrying a M&P40 2.0 5” every day in the woods.

I picked up a M&P 40 that was a former Milwaukee PD gun for $279 a few years ago. It came with 3 mags and night sights that still glowed.
    I use it for duty now and it shoots well. I swapped the sights to Ameriglos with the large orange dot front U-notch rear, and put in a new green .40/.357 sig recoil spring, replacing the old blue one they used to use for 9&40. Never had a failure, and recoil is low for a 40. I picked up a spare slide from GT Distributors they had on Gunbroker for $40 to have milled for a dot, just haven’t sent it in yet.

I wish I would’ve bought 2 at the time.

This thread inspired me to put the .40 slide on my CZ SP-01 yesterday and send a few down range. The steel gun mitigates recoil nicely. I recently put a shooting aperture on my glasses and was please to see a crisp sight picture. The aperture also sharpens my red dot, which is the reason I tried it in the first place. While arthritis dictates small doses, I still like the .40.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I’ve often felt that if I was told I could only keep one pistol, I would be happy with my P99c. It’s that good.
    +1. It's as accurate as any of my other 9x19s (except maybe one of the CZ-75Bs) and just runs, even with the five SW99c mags I have.
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

Quote Originally Posted by Vista461 View Post
    I picked up a M&P 40 that was a former Milwaukee PD gun for $279 a few years ago. It came with 3 mags and night sights that still glowed.
    I use it for duty now and it shoots well. I swapped the sights to Ameriglos with the large orange dot front U-notch rear, and put in a new green .40/.357 sig recoil spring, replacing the old blue one they used to use for 9&40. Never had a failure, and recoil is low for a 40. I picked up a spare slide from GT Distributors they had on Gunbroker for $40 to have milled for a dot, just haven’t sent it in yet.

I wish I would’ve bought 2 at the time.
    Mags the same for both gen?

Quote Originally Posted by Dov View Post
    Mags the same for both gen?
    Yep mags are the same between the two generations.
    And you can use the 15 rd mags from the 2.0 compact in the 1.0 9c. Making it like a budget 3.6 compact. Both S&W and Xgrip make sleeves.

Quote Originally Posted by KevH View Post
    There are actually four generations of M&P:
    - Early first gen (small sear spring)
    - Later first gen (improved striker assembly, improved sear housing, larger sear spring, improved sear)
    - Early 2.0
    - Current 2.0 "OR" series guns.

The M&P 2.0 has some fairly significant improvements in the frame, in the sear housing, and in the trigger bar. The texture on the grip is outstanding. The latest OR pistols have easy access to the firing pin plunger and spring, an improved slide release and a few other nice features along with a generally better flat trigger.
    There are reports that the metal framed M&Ps have improved accuracy over the standard 2.0 models. One user here asserted that the barrel geometry is indeed different possibly contributing to the accuracy improvement.

Do you know if such changes have been incorporated into the current "OR" series?

If anyone shoots M&Ps (and possibly, like myself, has spare M&P parts on hand) CDNN Sports is selling 5” M&P 40 2.0 stripped slides for $50.

I bought one to build up as a project t. I needed a few parts, but I already had an extra barrel and mist parts lying around.

User Tag List