Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Nobody wants a 40 anymore

Nobody wants a 40 anymore

More proof is not needed that the 40 is indeed very very dead in the market, but the last time I saw sub $500 prices for a NIB HK LEM pistol of any sort was like never that I can remember, not even CDNN.

This fall I picked up a lightly used Glock 23 gen 5 for well under $400. Back in the spring I found an unissued "police trade" G22 gen 5 mos for under $400. Of course the police trade gen 3-4 G22's have been going for sub $300 for a while now, probably approaching the cost of a nib Highpoint if the trend continues.

I have probably 30K pieces of .40 brass from USPSA, most of that from being an RO at major matches where the RO staff gets to pick it up, a mountain of good factory Federal and Speer JHP ammo in my inventory, and an old Dillon 650 set up for 40 that was factory rebuilt a couple of years ago, otherwise I would have no longer have any interest either.

But when I reflect on the last 30 years the rise and fall of the cartridge is still something I find fascinating. The obvious reasons have been discussed here for a long time.

Seeing the P2000 clearance just sorta put an exclamation mark on it for me. I had seen the nib 40 HK's appearing to hold their prices for a while. I suspect HK is completely done or about done making any .40 pistols.
    Support the Second Amendment Foundation and the Firearms Policy Coalition, join and give!

I got a good deal on a used M&P40 2.0 Compact a couple months ago. I bought one when they came out as I was issued a full size. Now retired, I shoot much more 9mm but I still have five assorted M&P40s.
    I plan on having one milled for an ACRO and I have some Underwood and some Lost River ammo to try out as I plan to use one as a “woods gun” sometimes.

Also this for the Sk:

https://palmettostatearmory.com/hk-p...-81000059.html

Buddy and I continue to ask each other if we have caved yet. My issue is not knowing which one to get. Current carry (last several years) is a P2000Sk 9mm v1, match gun is P2000 9mm v1, back up / spare is another P2000 9mm v1. I've got a P2000 v2 in .357 Sig with a .40 barrel, and an Sk v2 in .357 Sig. Should probably get one in .40, just not sure which size to go for.

I too have a D650 set up to run .40

Perhaps I've got enough.

But it's an HK for sub $500, with a credit of $200.
    Taking a break from social media.

During the pandemic/election surge some were finally able to dump .40s that dealers wouldn't take. Seems they're back to being lowballed or outright refused again.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Identification of this pistol's numbers off HK website:

81000047 642260260788 P2000, .40cal, (V2) LEM , two 10rd magazines

This HK pistol may be considered a "dog" and a slow-seller because of the obsolescent caliber, heavy LEM and 10 round hoplophobic State compliant magazines. Still a good deal for a shooter who has a supply of .40 and a strong trigger finger.
    “Safety is nice, but it’s not first. Life is first and it’s not safe.”— Jeff Cooper

The Short & Weak still moves locally in bear country but God's Own 45 ACP is now starting to get the nod from younger guys wanting a non-Europellet popper.

It kinda bums me out. The .40 has been a nice cartridge to live with that mostly seems hampered by lazy manufacturers dumping it in 9mm-designed frames and gun rags being histrionic about its small increase in recoil over 9mm. It pings steel well, does a lot of work while remaining subsonic, shoots flatter than 9mm in PCCs, downloads very well in pretty much every gun without a respringing, the current wide meplat flat nose field load trend was the forty's default setting from the drawing board, runs smoothly through a reloading press, is less gimped by ban state capacity limits than 9mm, and just plain works. To repeat a point, I'll continue to defend it if only for how much better it cycles through my Dillon than 9mm.

I'll take solace in Beretta having set out to make the world's best 40 caliber DA/SA pistol series, having succeeded, and the 9mm crowd now finding it a trendy low-recoil compact carry option. You're welcome; the Short & Weak gave you that.

In my opinion, the .40 is best served by platforms with sufficient real estate, slide weight and advanced recoil systems to work with and mitigate against the quick, high-pressure spiking characteristics of the round. I've been quite pleased with my HK P30L V4.5 LEM, Gen5 Glock G23, HK VP40 and a Glock Gen4 G22/31.

While quite viable and credible as a all-around self-defense cartridge (with judicious cartridge selections) I think where .40 comes into its own and trumps 9mm best is as a hiking/wilderness arena.

It arguably took decades, but Glock finally got it right with the Gen5 .40s, with the combination of materially heavier and thicker slides, nested spring RSA, improved barrel rifling, and the other Gen5 changes.

HK has always been on track with their .40 offerings, but I suspect their best .40 platforms are in the larger compacts (i.e., P30, USP Compact) as opposed to the P2000 and SKs; those smaller platforms will probably bring the most satisfaction and operational efficiencies in 9mm chamberings.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 11-19-2023 at 10:30 AM.
    Sponsored by Check-Mate Industries and BH Spring Solutions
    Certified Glock Armorer

MUST. RESIST. DON'T. HAVE. ANY. 40 IN. THE. GARAGE.

What parts would it take to convert this from heavy LEM to TLG LEM? Asking for a friend...

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    MUST. RESIST. DON'T. HAVE. ANY. 40 IN. THE. GARAGE.

What parts would it take to convert this from heavy LEM to TLG LEM? Asking for a friend...
    https://www.hkpro.com/threads/which-.../#post-1246972

Best, Jon
    Sponsored by Check-Mate Industries and BH Spring Solutions
    Certified Glock Armorer

Site Supporter
    Less than a year ago I got a case's worth of 180-grain FMJ (half Federal AE, half Rem-UMC) for less than what 9x19 FMJ was going for, and HST was ~$25/box of 50. I've got some handloads in an ammo can too, plus dies and a shell plate for my RL 550. My "nightstand" gun is my early M&P40 1.0 with a TLR1. .40 S&W might be obsolescent but it still works pretty well.
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

User Tag List