Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TX22 1st time out, FTE w/ Federal Automatch 40gr

TX22 1st time out, FTE w/ Federal Automatch 40gr

Greetings
    I Took my brand new TX22 to the range yesterday. [non suppressor/ 10rnd mag version]. Also took a brand new box of Federal Automatch 40gr ammo. As a last minute, 'why not?',...I also grabbed an old box of Winchester wildcats and a couple boxes of Remington thunderbolt from an ANCIENT brick of ammo I bought back when Adam was young. In the end, I'm really glad I grabbed that 'junk' ammo, otherwise the range time would've been a waste. Even tho I've read good things about this gun and Federal Automatch, I got FTE on like every 3rd or 4th round, same-same for both mags. Very frustrating. Then I thought what the heck, let's try the old/cheap/crap. FLAWLESS!!! Sooooo, I'm trying to figure out where to go from here. (a) take my mags apart, clean em, and use some Rem dry lube? (b) figure **maybe I got a bad box of Federals? (c) figure my particular TX22 is the one-in-a-million that likes cheap crap, but *doesn't like Federals? BTW, yes...I did follow the online advice and cleaned the gun prior to going to the range. Just trying to read the tea leaves as to why I had zero issues with the old cheap crap ammo, but new stuff was FTE city. Thanks!

Lots to unpack here. The overall theme is older ammo allowed for proper function while newer ammo did not. The term for the failure was "FTE" which could be "failure to extract" or "failure to eject". Not able to provide much input based on the description of the stoppage. Let's delve into what ammo was used.

1) Federal Automatch is 40-grain round nose at 1200 fps
    2) Winchester Wildcat is 40-grain copper washed round nose "Dynapoint" at 1255 fps
    3) Remington Thunderbolt is 40-grain round nose at 1255 fps.

Note: The velocity specs are from 20" or longer rifle barrels.

The "spec" difference is not much, but the pistol performed better with the "hotter" ammo. And Federal Automatic is known to be lower velocity ammo. This may be a lube issue or a burnish/polish mating surfaces process as the pistol should function with standard velocity ammo. My litmus test for any new-to-me .22 LR pistol is a 100-round box of CCI Standard Velocity. If the pistol does not run with that ammo, the pistol has an issue.

If it is a "break in" issue, try some hotter ammo like CCI Mini-Mags and see how it does.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    Lots to unpack here. The overall theme is older ammo allowed for proper function while newer ammo did not. The term for the failure was "FTE" which could be "failure to extract" or "failure to eject". Not able to provide much input based on the description of the stoppage. Let's delve into what ammo was used.

1) Federal Automatch is 40-grain round nose at 1200 fps
    2) Winchester Wildcat is 40-grain copper washed round nose "Dynapoint" at 1255 fps
    3) Remington Thunderbolt is 40-grain round nose at 1255 fps.

Note: The velocity specs are from 20" or longer rifle barrels.

The "spec" difference is not much, but the pistol performed better with the "hotter" ammo. And Federal Automatic is known to be lower velocity ammo. This may be a lube issue or a burnish/polish mating surfaces process as the pistol should function with standard velocity ammo. My litmus test for any new-to-me .22 LR pistol is a 100-round box of CCI Standard Velocity. If the pistol does not run with that ammo, the pistol has an issue.

If it is a "break in" issue, try some hotter ammo like CCI Mini-Mags and see how it does.
    Thank you. I'll do that. Yes, FTE....failure to eject. Pistol would fire the round, but then not kick it out, or would kick it halfway out. Regardless, would have to stop ....safely clear the malfunction...try again, etc. Sometimes failure would happen on very next round, sometimes would work for 2 or 3 shots, then FTE again. Time to go to the store and pick up a few boxes of CCI.

Paging @jetfire to the white courtesy phone please...
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

I'd really like to see another option to bulk-pack, optimized for semi-auto, better quality than match-grade, rimfire ammo.

I'm deep into Automatch, but I'd be happy to consider other optins.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

I think the Taurus TX22s have a pretty good reputation.

I had similar failure to eject/feed with my S&W M&P 22 Compact. It turns out that my thumb was on the safety like I shoot 1911s and my thumb was dragging on the slide a little.

I've started cleaning my 22 pistols of all lube etc and then I spray them with Hornady One Shot cleaner and lube. I let it dry on the pistol and I don't add any more lube. They run better and stay cleaner. Oil collects all that 22 crud and the One Shot doesn't.

I've had good luck with Mini Mags.

Site Supporter
    Each .22 is unique, and sometimes finding a load which works well requires some trial and error. In general, I have experienced better results with copper plated, high velocity ammo. I do not own one of these pistols.

It is good that the pistol was cleaned first. Lubrication is important. Erring on the side of too much lube rather than too little will be more likely to result in good functioning.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Really surprised by this but also agree with the above that no two 22 handguns are really a like.

That said I own both a TX22 over 7000 rounds fired and a TX22c with over 4000 rounds fired, both function perfectly with Federal Auto Match. It’s one of my go to 22lr rounds because it works so well in all my 22 semi-auto handguns, Glock 44 included. I just bought 7 more boxes of it this morning at Walmart.

But I have no experience with the 10 round mags. I have 7 of the 16 round TX22 mags and 5 of the 13 round TX22c mags all work flawlessly with Auto Match.

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Paging @jetfire to the white courtesy phone please...
    uhhhh rimfires be like that sometimes?

I've posted this in another thread here. I have a TX22c and it's been the most reliable .22 I've ever owned.

In a previous post I mentioned I had around 1850 rounds through mine with only 1 FTF (Failure to Feed) and that was 1 round out of a box of 50 Fed Punch.
    I use 13 & 16 round mags and use my thumb to gently retract the follower as I load the magazines (because it was suggested, but I can't recall who suggested it...I need a 2nd cup of coffee...).
    I have a Holosun 407 on it and love that combo.

I have better than 4000 rounds through it and stopped counting. At least 1/3-1/2 of those rounds are Auto Match (readily Walmart available and I have a bunch anyway). The other rounds are a mix of bulk pack Remington, Fed, and Winchester and of course CCI, standard and Mini-Mag.
    During the 2000+ rounds since the initial post at 1850+/- I have had 4-5 more FTF that was definitely bulk pack ammo related.

Historically I've had to use the "trial and error" process to vet ammo that would function reliably in my .22's. This/my particular gun doesn't seem to have much of a preference.
    But I've been accumulating CCI as I rebuild my stash.

I've not experienced a Failure to Extract/Eject.

I keep the pistol well lubed and probably don't clean it as frequently or as deeply as I should. But I shoot it every range trip (at least twice a week) and I'm lazy, I guess.
    I'm intrigued by what @BN suggested: Hornady One Shot cleaner . Might give it a deep cleaning and try that. Thank you.

I've told friends before, I don't know if my TX22c is an anomaly or representative of Taurus's norm, but I'm impressed as hell with it.

My shooting buddy works at a busy local indoor range and said the full size Taurus TX they have in their rental counter (which gets a LOT of use) is the most reliable rental semi-auto they have. I shot it before I purchased my TX22C. I can see why he said that.

Hope you get it sorted out @tmanwell

User Tag List