Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Please help a computer idiot transition

Quote Originally Posted by Sig_Fiend View Post
    Just for fun, showing what's possible. A few weeks ago, I installed Linux on an old Lenovo Thinkpad X200 I had laying around. Got it off eBay for ~$50 awhile ago. The X200 was produced in 2008, meaning this is a 16y/o laptop. I'm amazed people overlook stuff like this and assume it's trash because it's more than ~2 or 3y/o. Oh well, more for those of us who know!

Installed Linux Mint in ~15-20min. The Install went perfectly with zero hiccups. It just works and was actually an easier install than the last time I installed Windows. Despite the age, it runs pretty smoothly and is more than fast enough for my intended purpose (focused laptop mostly for writing).

As an aside, these little Thinkpads are awesome. The models prior to ~2012-2013 have actual full-stroke, proper key switches and key caps, so the typing experience is excellent! Not to mention the built-in RJ-45 connector for a wired connection as well as the hardware switches on the side of the laptop to disable the camera, WiFi, etc.

If you want to join this club, stuff to look for: X200, X220, T420, T520, W520, W700, plenty of others but these are some of the best bang for the buck. The **30 models (e.g. X230, T430, T530, W530) are a bit newer, faster, and better hardware, but they don't have the classic keyboard.

Attachment 115497
    You could start a new thread on Thinkpad or other good bargain laptops for Linux. Err not just cheap machines but also the really good values.

I have couple project ideas involving Thinkpads if I ever have the time and energy to pursue.

The crazy idea is to get newish one that would work with an external GPU aka eGPU, since I have a Razer Core X eGPU https://www.amazon.com/Razer-Core-Th.../dp/B07CQG2K5K I got few years ago when my gaming machine died to boost performance of my 2018 Mac Mini for gaming, haven't really used it since I got the HP 800 SFF setup.

I want to test the Thinkpad with eGPU for benchmarks and couple of games in Windows 10, then switch to Linux, and compare how it does with the change is OS and also compare it to the Mac Mini.

The less crazy project is finding a cheaper than Apple Silicon Macbook Air laptop that can replicate 12+ hours of battery life when needed preferably with Linux. IIRC at least some of Thinkpads had dual batteries so you could hot swap the external battery.

Thanks, based on the recommendations I’ll go back to Malwarebytes or Avast. I just need to figure out how to turn off the scaremongering ads that pop up.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Thanks, based on the recommendations I’ll go back to Malwarebytes or Avast. I just need to figure out how to turn off the scaremongering ads that pop up.
    In Avast, go to Settings>Notifications, turn on Silent mode and turn off the other choices. See below.

Gringop

Name:  Avast.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  40.0 KB
    Play that song about the Irish chiropodist. Irish chiropodist? "My Fate Is In Your Hands."

Quote Originally Posted by gringop View Post
    I've been using Avast free version for years. Just realize that they are all fear mongering, "pay us for upgrades to Pro Version which will solve all your problems" shyster used car salesmen. I just turn off the core services I don't need, set it to silent mode, update and scan my systems once a month and enjoy the protection.

If you are asking for Linux, it looks like Avast is only payware/business license for Linux at this time.

Gringop

PS, I also use Free Malwarebytes and Spybot Search and Destroy, run manually one a month.
    Just heard about this today on one of the tech podcasts I listen to "Avast fined $16.5 million for ‘privacy’ software that actually sold users’ browsing data" https://www.theverge.com/2024/2/22/2...ata-harvesting

Think I would take Avast off list of choices just based on their scuzzy behavior,

Just use Window Defender for AV. The detection is as good as anything else, it's free with Windows, and it doesn't mean you have to run additional software with admin privileges.

Quote Originally Posted by Dov View Post
    Think I would take Avast off list of choices just based on their scuzzy behavior,
    Which is why I turn off Behavior Shield and Web Shield in the Core Shields section of the Settings in Avast. I only want File Shield protection and maybe Mail Shield protection if I run a local email client.

As has been said before, if you are not paying for a service then you and your data are the product. Sweet and Honest Father O'Flaherty's Soup Kitchen and Free Anti-Virus Service just doesn't exist.

Compared to Norton and McAfee, Avast is Maria from the Sound of Music.

Gringop

PS: I didn't mention it before but the native Windows Defender has a good reputation but I have not used it enough to speak to it.
    Play that song about the Irish chiropodist. Irish chiropodist? "My Fate Is In Your Hands."

I and every one of my tech savvy friends use Macs for their personal computer needs. These people include:
    • Silicon Valley founder
    • Info security sales engineer
    • Head of infosec for federal agency
    • Head of engineering at a tech startup
    • Multiple STEM research professors

What all these people have in common is zero interest in futzing with their personal computers or putting up with issues. If you use an iPhone a Mac makes even more sense.

One downside is cost, but people typically keep Macs longer than PCs.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 02-28-2024 at 08:56 PM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by CleverNickname View Post
    Just use Window Defender for AV. The detection is as good as anything else, it's free with Windows, and it doesn't mean you have to run additional software with admin privileges.
    I'll second this. Windows Defender was little better than no protection 20 years ago, but today it's among the very best out there and has the bonuses of being free and very unobtrusive.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I and every one of my tech savvy friends use Macs for their personal computer needs. These people include:
    • Silicon Valley founder
    • Info security sales engineer
    • Head of infosec for federal agency
    • Head of engineering at a tech startup
    • Multiple STEM research professors

What all these people have in common is zero interest in futzing with their personal computers or putting up with issues. If you use an iPhone a Mac makes even more sense.

One downside is cost, but people typically keep Macs longer than PCs.
    Yeah I much prefer Mac to Windows, I am honestly OS agnostic I like to joke (but its honest truth) I hate all the OS's I just hate Windows more. I cuss at all of them from time to time. But to date IME Mac/iOS/Chrome OS are nearly tied as least profanity inciting. Android and Linux about tied in the middle. And Windows is the worst. Though older Windows like XP I didn't feel that way as much. But starting with Windows 7 ehh, and by Windows 8 it really felt like PITA. i've only used Windows 10 for gaming, and have no desire to use Windows 11 at all.

[Edited to add nerd tidbit: I even tried a Windows Phone it was actually solid but not spectacular, and still miss Blackberry functionality. I don't miss needing to reboot the Blackberry all the time but no modern phone matches them IMHO for how good they were for what I want to use cellphone for mainly Calendar, Messaging, podcasts, and voice calls]

Advice I give if someone is considering Apple for first time, is that they are the Toyota/Lexus of Computers and electronics. The lower price Apple stuff is like Toyota. Middle priced Apple is high end Toyota/low end Lexus. And the really expensive Apple stuff is like high end Lexus. Some of the high priced Apple stuff is like the high end sporty Lexus cars (especially the Apple Silicon Macs & top iPhones).

I do have slight quibble about the costing more, lot of people say that and it might be true if you need a machine with the higher end specs (ie tons of RAM or etc, Apple does gouge for that stuff) but if you compare lifecycle costs (total cost divided by years of use) Apple stuff is often cheaper if you buy their lower or midrange priced stuff or buy it used from Apple Refurbished or good used store like OWC. This is especially true if you factor performance difference into the equation with many product like the Apple Silicon Macs or pretty much any of the iOS devices.

The Apple stuff also holds its resale value lot better, again just like Toyota. Though of course this is a simplification and there have been lemons.

I've posted it elsewhere here, but Apple has factory refurbished store I learned about this years ago via Tam https://www.apple.com/shop/refurbished

I have bought multiple devices from there over the years no complaints. Any refurbished device bought from Apple that uses a battery will have new battery in it.

Another good place for used Apple stuff is OWC https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/Appl...cs_and_Tablets I have only bought couple of things from them so far but no complaints. OWC also offers upgrade parts and kits and instructions including how to youtubes for upgrading Apple stuff.

Only thing to be aware of if buying used stuff from OWC is you need to be aware of if EOL (End of Life) for getting software patches. Lot of the really cheap stuff there no longer gets patches, though there are workarounds or solutions for most if not all of that stuff it take bit more tinkering.

Apple provides list of devices they label Vintage or Obsolete https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201624 its a little confusing IMO but essentially Obsolete is EOL for sure, while Vintage is more of a grey area. This article explains it a bit better than Apple's link https://www.macrumors.com/guide/vintage-and-obsolete/

Edited to add another semi hidden nuance with Apple software updates, is that only the newest OS gets everything patched. And it also gets security patches a lot faster. So if you have a Mac or iphone that could upgrade to this years OS but you stayed on last years just realize that.

I sometimes stay on slightly older Apple OS on some devices for various reasons, but always remind myself about that.
    Last edited by Dov; 02-29-2024 at 04:12 AM.

User Tag List