Thread: 1301 malfunction at the range (missing part)

1301 malfunction at the range (missing part)

I think I screwed up. At the range today, I fired off 5 rounds before I noticed the silver pin fall out of the gun. Then the bolt got stuck back with the bolt release inoperable. I had to disassemble the gun and reach inside to push the cartridge latch in, in order to bring the bolt forward. I removed the trigger assembly as well.

Based on this schematic from MGW, I think the part that fell out is the cartridge latch pin (Part #128). Based on my experience with my Beretta 391 and A400, there's supposed to be a roll pin that goes horizontally into the receiver to secure this cartridge latch pin. It goes through the small hole on the right of the receiver just below the bolt release lever. I think I forgot to install the roll pin that secures the silver pin inside the receiver.

https://www.midwestgunworks.com/beretta-1301/parts.html
    Can somebody help me find what that roll pin part number is?

I managed to get a decent picture of mine, and it looks like it is just one of those wound roll pins. As far as size goes, if you have number drills you could slide a shank in the empty hole. Pretty sure McMaster or Fastenal will sell you a small number of roll pins, if you have a Fastenal store in your town they might still ship to the store for free.

Name:  1301 Pin.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  70.3 KB

Just curious… did you do some mods to the gun that required removing those pins or did they fall out from use?

Quote Originally Posted by Pnut View Post
    Just curious… did you do some mods to the gun that required removing those pins or did they fall out from use?
    I removed everything so I could apply heat to the mag tube in order to release it. I swapped out my 7 round tube for a 5 round tube because I preferred the lower weight.

Looks like I screwed up the reinstall

Quote Originally Posted by shootist26 View Post
    I removed everything so I could apply heat to the mag tube in order to release it. I swapped out my 7 round tube for a 5 round tube because I preferred the lower weight.
    Probably because I am always curious, I have wondered about this also. I also wondered about maybe doing an A300UP and putting an extension on it for 3G.
    I have watched YouTube and all, but how difficult was it? How hot did you have to get it? How did you grip the tube? Were you able to get it out intact? ETA: What did you heat it with?

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    Probably because I am always curious, I have wondered about this also. I also wondered about maybe doing an A300UP and putting an extension on it for 3G.
    I have watched YouTube and all, but how difficult was it? How hot did you have to get it? How did you grip the tube? Were you able to get it out intact? ETA: What did you heat it with?
    No clue about the A300UP, but for my 1301 I followed the advice in posts #5523 and on. e-stern is(was?) the beretta employee.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ctical/page139

We destroyed the tube getting it out. It is red loctited on so you'll need to disassemble everything and hit the inside of the receiver with a torch right where the mag tube threads in. Maybe I could've hit it with heat for longer but it felt pretty tightly threaded in. We placed the receiver in a vise and we needed a wrench for the tube. I'm pretty new to this type of "heavy duty" work so I was a little apprehensive about doing it. For reference, I was comfortable replacing the stock shell lifter with the pro-lifter.

User Tag List