Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Small earthquake here

Small earthquake here

Just felt a small earthquake about 5 minutes ago where I live NW of Everett WA about 20 miles. Not sure where it was centered but definitely a shaker.

Edit.

3.47 magnitude right across bay east of us. Not big enough to get excited about.

Hell, I lived through the 6.8 Nisqually earthquake without a scratch.
    Last edited by Borderland; 11-16-2023 at 08:26 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter
    I went through one in Portland. Then in WNY, a few months ago we had a 3.8, gave the house a strong shake like an impact. Everyone thought a truck hit their house. Rare here.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

Snoop gave up weed and that opened the Seventh Seal.

I was in the East Bay for the Loma Prieta quake.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Slept through a 5.4 in Mexico City. Didn't even know it happened until I woke up the next morning.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    My very distant brush with a big one....

My first trip to Japan was January 1995. On the night of my arrival in Tokyo, I was awakened by what felt like an earthquake, at about 3AM local time. First time I felt one happening (we had a few when I lived in upstate NY that were in the news, but, I never felt them) I looked out the small hotel window, checked the hallway. Nothing. When I arrived at work the next morning I asked my colleagues if they had felt the quake. The Americans (myself, one from Atlanta, 2 others from Seattle area) all said yes, the Japanese all said no. LOL. We confirmed later that day it was a 3.4 quake some distance from the city.

Of course I stayed the weekend to check out the city and flew out Monday via Chicago to NC. By the time I landed in NC, Kobe had been devastated.

I did feel a 4.x here in FTW some years ago with an epicenter in OK. Was laying on the couch watching TV when I felt it rolling from my feet to my head (North to South)
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Slept through a 5.4 in Mexico City. Didn't even know it happened until I woke up the next morning.
    If I had been asleep I would have missed it also.

A house on my block (two doors up the street) caught fire in the middle of the night and I knew nothing about until I drove past it on my way to work. House was mostly destroyed.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I was in the East Bay for the Loma Prieta quake.
    That one did some damage. I remember seeing the buckled freeways on the news.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    I went through one in Portland. Then in WNY, a few months ago we had a 3.8, gave the house a strong shake like an impact. Everyone thought a truck hit their house. Rare here.
    Interesting comparison. I did some work near a bombing range in S. CA. The shock waves hit us from the exploding ordnance about a mile away. Earthquakes can be like that.

Some 12 years ago, I was staying near Cuernavaca in Mexico and the room began to move right as I was sitting still, It was a very weird experience of about ten seconds.

Somewhere around three on the scale, I think?
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

User Tag List