Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 9mm equivalent to 38 wadcutter for woods carry

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    150gr SWC from Bayou Bullets over powder of choice. It's my favorite practice load, but I'd use it in any situation if I had to.
    38 spl? About what velocity?

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    "Ear hole to Eye hole" Or "Eye hole to Ear hole". Just remember that and imagine that path for the bullet.
    Name:  20190316_125348.jpg
Views: 409
Size:  89.1 KB

Gold Dot 124+p

Tangled up in fence with broken back IIRC.
    Taking a break from social media.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    150gr SWC from Bayou Bullets over powder of choice. It's my favorite practice load, but I'd use it in any situation if I had to.
    Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    You can load these in 9x19. They're an old .38 Super design.
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    I've shot tons of them in 9mm. I never ran mine over a chrono, but load data indicates they're faster than .38 Federal WC.

https://bayoubullets.net/9mm-150-gr-swc/
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Site Supporter
    I’d be another to say stick with your carry load. When I was far more apt to encounter four legged versus two legged vermin, I was loading 147 Ranger Bonded for the added penetration factor. It’s still loaded in a couple guns around here.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    I would not use regular FMJ.

You have to be precise though and know your abilities, what you are capable of and what you are not.

Back to the OP. If you are carrying a good service JHP, I would suggest another box of it. load your spares with it, and not FMJ. You already know the point of aim, point of impact, so use it. Save the FMJ for steel plates and training.

If, and when you need a heavier load for larger animals, or predator defense, barriers etc, I would gladly recommend something I produce. However based on your needs, I think you are better off using the service JHPs you are using now and keep things simple.
    LR, have you had experience or trustworthy feedback on running your 9mm offering through a Glock 19 gen 3 or a G26 gen 5?

I do not recall if anybody has mentioned a Gen 5 G26, but thousands of rounds have been run through Gen 3 Glock 19s.

In fact that is all I use in my personal G19.3, and has been for a while. Quite a number of customers use it in their Gen 3s.

Also,

I just found this youtube video a couple days back of the ammo being shot into a level 3A vest. Interesting results The deformation on the backside was notable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=KaJ7OqqpeKQ

Quote Originally Posted by cathellsk View Post
    That looks like the bombdiggity.

Quote Originally Posted by cathellsk View Post
    Wow! hard cast FP 147 gr @ 1120 fps out of a 4" test barrel

And made by Federal, so it must be at least +P SAAMI compliant

User Tag List