Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: establishing the fit

I tend to think it's possible - based on my experience - that with the smaller grip I can manage reloads faster but the larger seemed to hit a sweet spot for managing the trigger and recoil. No problem, just balance the trade offs as one sees fit.

Because of the bleeding thing again, I've tended to gravitate to smaller to save the time on manipulations because there was not a huge difference in shootability.

My experience, experimenting with different handguns & grip configuration, mirrors what Todd said. For me the smaller grip size would always “feel” better but a slightly wider grip would help with recoil management and sight tracking, while shooting rapidly. With 1911’s I would go with wider panels and even had great success with those old school wrap around Pachmayrs. They didn’t feel quite right but I shot well so I eventually got used to them. With my P30 (current carry gun) I went with the medium back & large side panels even though the small back & side panels “felt” better. With the small back & side panels, I had issues with the slide release locking back the slide prematurely. Switching to larger panels fixed this problem and I was still able to release the slide effectively.

Something you can try, that has worked for me in the past, is to do some dry fire practice with different grip configurations. Use a blank, light colored, wall as your target. Close your eyes, draw your handgun, press out, place your finger on the trigger without pulling it and then open your eyes to see how your sights are aligned. Repeat this drill several times until you get a good idea of where your sights naturally align with that grip configuration. Expect them to be off at least a little bit each time you press out. The key here is to see where your sights consistently line up and adjust your grip configuration to where your gun points and sights align, more naturally. Then go to the range and see if your speed and accuracy improve.
    "Take the message to Garcia."

grip

Mecheng.
    That sounds like a plausible idea.
    Sure, The "small" insert feels the best in my hand. Which is why I started with it.
    Toddg. - no matter which grip panel is in, I have to rotate the pistol slightly to reach the mag release (small thumbs I guess). I thought of switching the release around to use the trigger finger, But the idea of having to use one way for the M&P and thumb it for the others didn't appeal to me.
    Right now, I'm playing around with using the weak hand hand to release the mag while it's in route to the magazine holders. Appears to be working, need to perform the maneuver about a thousand times though.
    Thanks for the info all.

User Tag List