Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Naomi Biden's SS detail opens fire on would-be car thieves

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Out of my lane obviously, but a question. It seems the shot didn't hit anybody. What are the consequences of that? Was it a warning shot as mentioned or if you don't hit - do you get a negative evaluation as if you shoot, you should hit.
    I don't believe that's something a supervisor could ding a federal employee on in their evaluation since 100% accuracy is not in the position description, a policy I've seen in the regulations of any agency, nor something that I've ever heard is written out in a work requirement statement....nor is the qualification course of fire passing score reflective of whatever is going on in your head.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Has a video of this incident made its way out yet?

(I'm wondering if we've ruled out a bored someone ND'ing a round through the window...)

There probably isn’t body cam footage or it would have leaked by now, maybe some street facing bar surveillance cam stuff eventually. As my Jerry Springer final thought though, I am better than fine with people getting shot for trying to steal weapons from law enforcement vehicles. In what hypothetical universe does anyone want that in Washington DC?

Quote Originally Posted by TDA View Post
    There probably isn’t body cam footage or it would have leaked by now, maybe some street facing bar surveillance cam stuff eventually.
    On that...

...last time I talked to anyone about it a few months ago, only one of the primary protective agencies have finalized or instituted a BWC program/policy: the U.S. Marshals. With that said, the E.O. ordering federal agencies to develop body cam programs had a specific carve out that exempted their use when federal LEOs are involved in protection details, and the USMS policy reflects that by not including protection details as an operation in which BWCs must be worn. There's numerous legitimate reasons for that...preventing turn-key intelligence of secure areas as well as sensitive information/policy that could be exploited by hostile actors, standing prohibition on electronics in controlled spaces that protectees frequently work in, personal privacy of the protectee/their family, not to mention the general inconvenience of mounting a BWC in plainclothes attire.

In general across LE even at agencies with long standing BWC programs, BWCs are not employed by plainclothes personnel unless they don overt armor in the middle of their workday (ex: investigators throwing on a vest for warrant service, a robbery stakeout team throwing on their vest prior to taking action, etc). To be clear, protective details are typically carried out in plainclothes...the use of uniformed officers or agents adorned in overt LE attire/gear is typically only done for special events or when supporting perimeter functions on high threat protectees (manning barricades, checkpoints, personnel screening, K9 teams, etc).
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Their primary handgun was the SIG P229 in 357 SIG from the 90s up to a couple years ago. They're piggy backing off the CBP contract now, so most of the agents are carrying a Gen 5 Glock 19.

ETA: As for long guns since the MP5s were mentioned above, I think they still have them but don't use them. The standard long gun they're employing these days is an 11.5" KAC SR16. They have suppressors, but only use the suppressors when training on the range for the sake of additional hearing protection...as it was explained to me, primarily for the benefit of the FIs who are on the range all day long. They typically don't have the suppressors mounted when working in the field for the sake of compactness.
    Last time I was with them, all CAT team and some uniforms had the KAC 5.56 set ups, and there were a ton on MP5s around that the plain clothed guys had access to. Of course, this was 6 years ago. Times change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

Their primary handgun was the SIG P229 in 357 SIG from the 90s up to a couple years ago. They're piggy backing off the CBP contract now, so most of the agents are carrying a Gen 5 Glock 19.

ETA: As for long guns since the MP5s were mentioned above, I think they still have them but don't use them. The standard long gun they're employing these days is an 11.5" KAC SR16. They have suppressors, but only use the suppressors when training on the range for the sake of additional hearing protection...as it was explained to me, primarily for the benefit of the FIs who are on the range all day long. They typically don't have the suppressors mounted when working in the field for the sake of compactness.
    My understanding is that UD officers get the GLOCK 47's and 1811's get the 19.5 MOS.

Site Supporter

My guys over there advise the number of KAC’s is limited and MP-5s are very much in use in protection. They issue long guns to certain people but also have a lot of what they call “box guns.” Essentially pool long guns in a lock box at fixed posts or as @Gadberry mentioned assigned to vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Reese View Post
    I've seen them at Level 2 USPSA matches here in Virginia. The dudes I saw shoot were all extremely squared away. A friend of mine is an FI with them and last I knew he was on the shooting team.
    Their primary handgun was the SIG P229 in 357 SIG from the 90s up to a couple years ago.
    I seem to recall a few agents who would show up at the monthly IDPA match at the NRA Range...you knew who they were because the .357 SIG's flash and report was distinctive out of that sub 4" barrel in an indoor range...good shooters.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
    I have ridden in many USSS vehicles. They love to mount MP5s on mount brackets that sit in the front passenger seat area next to the center console. Muzzle is down by the floor board, top of the collapsed stock is about even with the cup holders in the center console.

If you see a busted window and legs dangling out of the car, one has to assume they may exit that car holding your MP5.

I think they can probably clearly articulate the threat level. Just my guess….

Something like this…. Just a guess.
    I can see that photo is NYC by our local oldies station on the dash, 101.1. I used to drive for Whitehouse events during the Bush administration and this photo brings back memories.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Secret Service shooting team was just in attendance at a match I recently shot.
    They shot at my state Level 2 USPSA this season, and they were quite squared away.

Name:  IMG_5681.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  101.8 KB

User Tag List