Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Piggybacking off the LVPO thread in Rifles and Carbines...RFI: single mag pouch

Quote Originally Posted by ECVMatt View Post
    To add to my thread from Rifles and Carbines, I was wondering what folks use to carry a single AR magazine on a standard 1.5/1.75 belt? I am not looking for a battle belt set up and don't want to run a covert chest rig, I am just looking for a way to carry a single AR magazine under a teeshirt or light flannel. I would like to have this on me when I am out in the desert to provide some additional ammunition if I had to grab my rifle and exit my truck quickly. I would like to keep it low profile to not attract attention when out of the truck. I do carry a backpack with all my necessities in the truck but recently have realized I could encounter a situation where it might not be possible to immediately grab the backpack.

I have a Raven Lictor that I keep in my travel kit. While it does an great job of carrying and retaining magazines, it flops around on my belt and is prone to sliding back and forth.

I was looking at something more like the Raven Copia. I am not really concerned about the width of the carrier on the belt so much as the stability is provides. I like to get out, hike around and explore, so I am looking for something that would comfortable to wear all day in the truck and stable enough to hike with.

Does anyone have any other recommendations?

Thank in advance!

Matt
    If it is a reload why not attach it to the gun or magazine?

Carrying a 30 round mag is on a belt is cumbersome.

Currently by the ocean in CA and on the move to a more free state. Three more years!
    Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    If it is a reload why not attach it to the gun or magazine?

Carrying a 30 round mag is on a belt is cumbersome.

I agree that might be the simplest solution.

This would definitely be an easy button:

https://magpul.com/maglinkcoupler-pm...obal_color=118

Site Supporter
    The best way I have seen to attach a reload to a gun is here:

https://www.redi-mag.com/product/mk-i-qa-redi-mag/
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

I tried the buttstock mag holders on our patrol rifles. Personally, they worked for me but one of the issues I saw was interference with the charging handle if the buttstock was collapsed too far inward. A lot of officers complained about them, and I eventually started putting active shooter bags in the cars-which, as many of you might suspect, I would finds buried in the trunks instead of up front with the rifles.

The pouches I used were from Eagle Industries and otherwise worked well. I also experimented with a mag coupler for 20 rd mags, which seemed to be OK. One of the above posts reminded me of the Redi-mag, which I might look into further for my own use.

Quote Originally Posted by S Jenks View Post
    I would strongly suggest against using these as well as similar for AR15 mags unless it's solely used for square range stuff.

The retention is nowhere near what it needs to be, and the mag will be pulled out of the pouch by outside forces. Literally every single vehicle bailout/crossload drill I've performed, I lost my AR mag with one of these. Every. Single. One. They work okay (not great) for adding a quick pistol mag, but the AR mag is just too much surface area vs too little retention.

I use a BFG Ten-Speed for CCWing an AR mag, which is something I did daily for about a year in an NPE. The RCS Copia works excellent as well, as long as you crank down the retention screw and have the real-estate on the belt. However, the mag pouches which derive retention solely from a "taco fold" pressing against the mag are unsuitable for duty/CCW use, IMO.

ETA: This is also one of the better reasons to consider using a 20 round mag as an emergency reload in a CCW context. There's less surface area for a foreign object (such as a car seat) to impinge against the magazine body, and less chance of the mag being pulled out of the carrier unintentionally by said foreign object.
    Last edited by TGS; 11-13-2023 at 11:05 AM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    I would strongly suggest against using these as well as similar for AR15 mags unless it's solely used for square range stuff.

The retention is nowhere near what it needs to be, and the mag will be pulled out of the pouch by outside forces. Literally every single vehicle bailout/crossload drill I've performed, I lost my AR mag with one of these. Every. Single. One. They work okay (not great) for adding a quick pistol mag, but the AR mag is just too much surface area vs too little retention.

I use a BFG Ten-Speed for CCWing an AR mag, which is something I did daily for about a year in an NPE. The RCS Copia works excellent as well, as long as you crank down the retention screw and have the real-estate on the belt. However, the mag pouches which derive retention solely from a "taco fold" pressing against the mag are unsuitable for duty/CCW use, IMO.

ETA: This is also one of the better reasons to consider using a 20 round mag as an emergency reload in a CCW context. There's less surface area for a foreign object (such as a car seat) to impinge against the magazine body, and less chance of the mag being pulled out of the carrier unintentionally by said foreign object.
    Good points. I’ve only used the AR versions on a square range.

With the pistol versions I’ve heated up the kydex and pressed a dimple into the mag release notch, and increased the angle of the folds to add some retention.

I may have missed this but you said you didn't want to freak out a group with a chest rig but if you had rifle out wouldn't that freak them out more? Are you backpack carrying the rifle and if so can you pop a mag in your pack?

But either way - if you want to run a mag on your waistline - I like BFG. They ride low and are light weight. The low ride means its not going to poke into my ribcage all day from hiking around. I would also consider a fanny pack or butt pack.

I’m happy using a HSGI Taco with a Bladetech Tek-Lok bolted to it. The Tek-Lok has a bar that can be set for your belt size.
    Also for the use you described I’d use a 20 round magazine as a backup due to reduced size and weight.

I use an OLD raven concealment pouch, with DCC clips, IWB. With a PMAG its really comfortable and I can sit and drive in it really easy. I'm showing it with a 30 round mag, but the 20 makes it really easy to conceal.

User Tag List