Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
That is a good question. However, there is no baseline, as far as how dry/wet your powder is, and what you may be doing to change it and it's burn rate.

Your question of a desiccant pack in powder led me to an article online entitled " How does humidity affect powder?" to which I will link (provided that is ok).

https://chronoplotter.com/2021/08/19...om%20the%20air.

In the article it reaffirms the original posts above, but goes into FAR greater detail.

The author quotes Brian Litz, from Applied Ballistics. There is also info from Sven Eric Johansson from Norma. The info from both is in great detail and far more comprehensive than what I touched on. It is well worth the read.

In short I probably just gave an "intro to" explanation and reminder, and the article really go into a lot of very good detail.
Very interesting and good information.

One question Ive long had, when I left powder in the measure, then came back later and checked the charge weight and it was noticeably lower, should I re-set the measure to a weight, or just use it at the volume that the initial charge was set to. Now Im curious what the results would be of using the charge the measure was left at as regards velocity and pressure, though the info in the link suggests the pressure will be up some at the same volume.

I tend not to load absolute max loads in anything, the difference may not be problematic, but its good to know these things. Ive tried to keep loads where they wont be a problem in both zero or 100 deg temps.

Linebaugh mentioned a number of times to load to velocity, not specific charges once a known charge or load was established and getting a new lot of powder.