Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock 49 Arrives

I'll grab a Blue Label one.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    I still don't get it. How the gun cycles - in my naive mind, the slide goes back and forth, the round come up and bullet goes out, the empty flies away. I don't recall significant performance at the 17 vs. 19 length in zombie killing. But if it sells, why not!

Is it a millisecond game thing?
    No it's not a millisecond thing. I can't really tell you what it is either, because it baffles the shit out of me. The only thing I can think of is the ratio of Spring Rate:Slide Weight just makes a better combo in the G26 (for an extreme example) in the area of recoil and sight return to index.

I just shot a GSSF match. I generally shoot The Plates stage last. I took a G17.5 with Dawson sights, a Glock Performance trigger and Talon grip tape. I also took a G26.5 set up the same exact way except for pinky extensions on my mags and an Ameriglo front sight paired with the same exact Dawson rear that rides on the G17. I shoot the guns in the same order on each stage and as mentioned I shoot the plate rack stage last. For the first two stages I was kinda not believing what I was feeling in regards to the brand new (to me) G26. It was an easier gun to shoot than the G17. It was more fun to shoot also.

For a tangible measurement, in four runs on the plate rack I was a total of over 4 seconds faster with the G26 than I was with the G17. Don't recall if I had a makeup shot with the G17, but I know I went clean (6 shots for 6 plates) for all 4 runs with the G26. I was shooting Norma 115 factory ball ammo in both guns.

I made a comment to the RO on one stage about how I now understood why I see so many people raving about the G26 on several forums. I always thought it was just fanboy hype, but I no longer believe that. It really is a damn good little blaster.
    Last edited by Spartan1980; 11-09-2023 at 09:03 PM. Reason: clarification

Site Supporter
    I have a Gen 3 26 that has been pretty solid and I shoot pretty well. It's my EDC for its concealability. Never felt handicapped by it. The Gen 5s are tempting but so is paying off a wave of bills. I rented the 43 and it didn't do anything for me.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post
    No it's not a millisecond thing. I can't really tell you what it is either, because it baffles the shit out of me. The only thing I can think of is the ratio of Spring Rate:Slide Weight just makes a better combo in the G26 (for an extreme example) in the area of recoil and sight return to index.

I just shot a GSSF match. I generally shoot The Plates stage last. I took a G17.5 with Dawson sights, a Glock Performance trigger and Talon grip tape. I also took a G26.5 set up the same exact way except for pinky extensions on my mags and an Ameriglo front sight paired with the same exact Dawson rear that rides on the G17. I shoot the guns in the same order on each stage and as mentioned I shoot the plate rack stage last. For the first two stages I was kinda not believing what I was feeling in regards to the brand new (to me) G26. It was an easier gun to shoot than the G17. It was more fun to shoot also.

For a tangible measurement, in four runs on the plate rack I was a total of over 4 seconds faster with the G26 than I was with the G17. Don't recall if I had a makeup shot with the G17, but I know I went clean (6 shots for 6 plates) for all 4 runs with the G26. I was shooting Norma 115 factory ball ammo in both guns.

I made a comment to the RO on one stage about how I now understood why I see so many people raving about the G26 on several forums. I always thought it was just fanboy hype, but I no longer believe that. It really is a damn good little blaster.
    When it comes to getting back on target, I wonder if just the mass and momentum of the slide might be a significant factor. I'm sure several folks on this forum could weigh in with a more-informed point of view than me.

I tried a Walther PDP a few years ago after an enthusiastic recommendation from a trainer. Whatever multiple virtues that pistol has, the slide felt like a brick on rails as it cycled.

As we covered in the G47 thread, the G47/G49 slide is surprisingly heavy, nearly the weight of the G34 slide. G34 is generally considered the smoothest recoiling pistol in Glock's lineup.

I suspect the G49 should end up a bit smoother then the G19 recoil wise. Look forward to hearing reports.

Glock should market the G49 with 1-2 15+2 (17rd) mags, and market it as "2 guns in 1." 15rd mag its basically a G19, slap in the 15+2 mag and it's basically a G17.

Quote Originally Posted by spyderco monkey View Post
    As we covered in the G47 thread, the G47/G49 slide is surprisingly heavy, nearly the weight of the G34 slide. G34 is generally considered the smoothest recoiling pistol in Glock's lineup.

I suspect the G49 should end up a bit smoother then the G19 recoil wise. Look forward to hearing reports.

Glock should market the G49 with 1-2 15+2 (17rd) mags, and market it as "2 guns in 1." 15rd mag its basically a G19, slap in the 15+2 mag and it's basically a G17.
    The 34 does have light recoil but it also has a lot of muzzle dip when the slide returns to battery. The only way I could make one work is with a lighter, non-factory, recoil spring. The lighter springs fixed the dipping problem but made the pistol feel sluggish. I don’t feel much more perceptible recoil from a Glock 45 and none of the muzzle dip. The slide cycles faster but not harder.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by MGW View Post
    The 34 does have light recoil but it also has a lot of muzzle dip when the slide returns to battery. The only way I could make one work is with a lighter, non-factory, recoil spring. The lighter springs fixed the dipping problem but made the pistol feel sluggish. I don’t feel much more perceptible recoil from a Glock 45 and none of the muzzle dip. The slide cycles faster but not harder.
    It will be interesting to see how the G49 handles, as its the G34 weight slide but a G19 spring weight.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MGW View Post
    Are you talking about Gen 5 G34 ? Or Gen 3/4 ?

I ask because due to the slide cut out the Gen 3/4 G34 slide weighs the same as a G17 slide and I’ve never noticed dip with them (or with G35s converted to 9mm.)

I ask because I’ve noticed a similar dip with stick full size (4.7” barrel) p320’s but the same size gun with the “PRO” slide (which has lightening cuts) doesn’t exhibit the dip even though the guns are sprung identically.

Even with strictly irons not so sure an additional 1/2” is/was a big enough difference that some believe. Glock 34 slide a small maybe however with this being an MOS I get that’s what most want but again with dots that whole longer sight distance becomes a moot point.

Sometimes I believe if someone’s favorite company polished a turd and put their emblem on it some people would have to buy it!

I'm really torn. I've been carrying a G17 cut to G19 length for a decade. I like the concept, although as others have mentioned it's kind of obsolete now as far as sight radius, since I've gone to optics.

Do I want to buy one? Kind of, yeah, but since I still have my cut G17 on my hip, it's a low priority. No rush on something when I have something functionally identical already.

User Tag List