Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Requesting input on 5.56 practice ammo

Site Supporter

Requesting input on 5.56 practice ammo

For handguns I pretty much have it down -- I select practice/training ammo that serves as a good analog to the ammo I carry.

But I'm a newbie when it comes to selecting 5.56 ammo for practice, especially since I haven't chosen any type of defensive ammo yet. What types of 5.56 ammo do you use, and do you select it based on how well it matches your defensive or duty ammo?

I see a lot of 55gr stuff, but I'm not sure if that is the best way to go. Maybe something in the 62-64gr range would be better for all around use? Or does bullet weight only matter for longer distance shooting? My shooting will be at 100 yards or less.

Thanks!

Recently escaped the People's Republic of Portland
    I practice with 55gr fmj only. Every school, class, course, etc that I have been to or hosted/taught I use 55gr FMJ. Unless you are practicing long distance precision or require frangible/softpoint for a specific range requirement to be met, stick with 55gr fmj as practice rounds. You will get all the function you need out to reasonable distances (500 yards and in) with ease. Just be sure to re-zero or know your zero shift when you switch to defense/precision/hunting loads on your setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    For handguns I pretty much have it down -- I select practice/training ammo that serves as a good analog to the ammo I carry.

But I'm a newbie when it comes to selecting 5.56 ammo for practice, especially since I haven't chosen any type of defensive ammo yet. What types of 5.56 ammo do you use, and do you select it based on how well it matches your defensive or duty ammo?

I see a lot of 55gr stuff, but I'm not sure if that is the best way to go. Maybe something in the 62-64gr range would be better for all around use? Or does bullet weight only matter for longer distance shooting? My shooting will be at 100 yards or less.

Thanks!
    I buy whatever shit will probably go boom without going BOOM.

Depending on your chosen self defense or duty round, the point of impact will be close enough where it wont matter unless you're pushing past 200 yards.

My duty round is 55 grain Speer gold dot. Point of aim, point of impact is the same with 55/62 grain practice trash compared to the duty round. I'm sure I would see more of a difference in point of impact IF I was running magnification on the gun. With a 2 MOA dot, it simply doesn't matter.

Buy ammo, shoot...a lot.

PMC 55 grain .223 is my practice ammo of choice. Stoeger says the same.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I also think 55gr FMJ will be fine for practice. That’s primarily what I practice with as well outside of work. My issued duty/defensive ammunition is a 62gr soft point .223. That’s what my work rifle and my personal ones are zeroed with. The point of impact shift between that and whatever generic 55gr .223 or 5.56 I’m practicing with isn’t noticeable enough to affect anything within 100y. Buy whatever practice ammo you can get large amounts of for the least amount of money.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Site Supporter
    I'm liking what I'm reading.

Name:  IMG_5651.jpg
Views: 647
Size:  56.6 KB
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    I have found that the ballistic difference between good brass cased 55gr 556/223 ammo to be very close to the 64gr SPs I have for scenario X out to 300 yards. The difference in POI is well within my “wobble”. Thus I zero with the 64 grain good stuff and then shoot the 55gr fodder. Within 100 yards you will barely notice the difference unless you are bench shooting.

Honestly I have had good luck with everything from PMC to Fiochi to Eagle to Privi. Just find the best price for non sketchy brand ammo and go with it. Steel cased ammo I have found to be generally lower powered resulting in more noticeable shifts in POI as well as difficulty cycling the rifle.

Wolf gold, 223 has always gone bang for me and its warm at 3300fps. Weight is irrelavant when it come to 556 training unless its at longer distances like you said. Stay away from remanufactured ammo, most of it is dogshit...

Site Supporter
    100 yards and in? I don’t see there being much difference. Beyond that, I’d raise questions. I don’t see a significant difference of zero with most any 55 gr. I know, it’s not a duty variety load, but my defensive load is PMC .223 55 gr SP, and it’s very similar to any ball load I’ve run. At 300 yards, the difference is, however, quite significant.

User Tag List