Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nostalgic P226 Selection

Site Supporter
    We had great success with the 9mm 226's we purchased around 1989. We later transitioned to the .40 226, 226R. and 239. Those ran pretty well until the frames started cracking. For better or worse, multiple broken guns were discovered during the annual armorer inspection. That resulted in 9mm's going back in service, people carrying personal weapons on duty, and some officer swapping guns at shift change. SigSauer did a decent job of replacing frames and pistols, but that debacle led us to the FNS-9.

I still have my issue 226.

I still vividly recall the first time I shot a P226. It was also the first time I ever shot a 9mm pistol of any sort.

At the time, 1996, I was living in San Diego and I had gotten to be friends with a few fellows who spent a lot of time devising ways to torment certain very motivated people into ringing a bell on a certain beach on Coronado. I had never shot a softer feeling, absolutely tack driving pistol as that well-worn German made 226. I was smitten, but firmly in the USP .45 camp, which might explain why that 226 seemed so easy to shoot quickly and accurately.

I have a couple of more modern SAO Elite 226’s and Legion SAO 229’s, and they are reliable and excellent, but I would pay serious money for a pistol exactly matching the feel of that well-worn long-ago DA 226. The specific recoil action and the way the sights were tracking through the entire shot cycle really struck me in a memorable way.

I always loved the aesthetics of the 226 but ended up buying a 228 back in the late 90’s. I ended up selling it a few years later, but now regret it!

Site Supporter

Timely…

I just picked a very nice 1988 P226.

Name:  05448889-A48B-42DF-887D-E9A898D8EC20.jpg
Views: 331
Size:  55.4 KB

Sat in the case at my LGS for about a month. Finally broke down and filled out the adoption paperwork.

It’s such a nicely made piece of classic engineering. Not glitzy or glamorous—but functionally elegant. The SA trigger break is crisp, sharp and super precise. The DA is good. The recoil seems to disappear as the slide cycles. I’ll admit—the 92 still feels more “magical” in my hands. But this P226 gives the Italian stallion a run for its money.

So… what I’m trying say is… buy one

Matrix Precision carries a lot of parts for old Sigs. Including the roll pins and I think the OG internal extractors. Beyond that, most other small parts should be compatible with the parts in current P2XX Sigs. Though I don’t really know what you’d need to replace, other than the roll pins.
    For astute purveyors of pew: hipstertactical.com

A few years ago I went on an old P220 and P228 hunt, looking for parts, etc -

Breech block inner pin: 1202658-R OR PIN-2
    Breech block outer pin: PIN-4

Two sources I found were Midwest Gun Works and Top Gun Supply - I wound up with 3 or 4 sets of pins so I'm all set for a while. Midwest Gun Works was IIRC the more reliable source.

PIN-2
    PIN-4

A couple (or at least one) note on the 226 -

The 226 originally had a trigger return spring very similar to a P220's trigger return spring; a spring bent in an L shape, basically. This spring was ...I wouldn't call it "fragile" but it was prone to breaking at higher round counts, so they changed the spring, basically putting a coil in the layout.

Original spring looked very much like this (known as SPRING-36 in their nomenclature, though I don't know what the actual part number was beyond that)
    Current spring

I don't know when the spring type was changed; may have been 90s or 2000s.

If you do find an early/original P226 and decide you want to upgrade the spring, you CANNOT use the new spring with the original grips! The original grips lack a relief cut on the inside; if you try to use them, they will unseat the spring from the trigger bar. You can hog out the underside of the grips to allow the spring to sit correctly, or you can put on new/current manufacture grips. I'd personally go for plan B there because I think the original grips are perfect and don't like the idea of potentially weakening them...on the flip side and a more existential question... if you have the grips you love, but don't use them - do you really have them anymore? ...

Edited to add a phot of my dad's first and last duty guns, a Model 28, and a P226 - JH (1987) date coded. (Sig didn't start using "I" in date codes until 2018 according to Sigforum)

Name:  IMG_1692-resized.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  101.0 KB
    Last edited by Evil_Ed; 11-08-2023 at 08:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Recoil springs, mags etc are not the problem.

The folded slide SIG’s require replacing the breech block and roll pin (and other proprietary parts) at certain intervals. Those parts are not readily available anymore. There are some for sale but you are now hunting down individual sellers etc.

Those rounds counts are significantly shorter on folded slides than the later solid slide guns. Especially folded slide P220s in .45.

Cool old guns (have 3 folded slide SIGs) but their days of being primary carry / traning guns is over.
    @HCM,
    Please excuse my ignorance. Does the above apply to SIG’s current production M11A1, as well? I appreciate your help/guidance.

Cheers!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Mntneer357 View Post
    @HCM,
    Please excuse my ignorance. Does the above apply to SIG’s current production M11A1, as well? I appreciate your help/guidance.

Cheers!
    No, the M11A1 is actually a solid slide P229 without a rail in 9mm.

It’s a branding / marketing ploy by SIG to cash in on the prior M11 contract for the now out of production P228.

As far as DOD is concerned there is no “M11A1.”

I have always believed that the military picked the wrong pistol, when they went with the 92 over the 226.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I have always believed that the military picked the wrong pistol, when they went with the 92 over the 226.
    As much as I love the 92 I agree.

I had a West German 226, 1988 manufacture if I remember right. Good condition and I like the old sights. But the trigger was awful and I didn't feel right messing with a nice survivor like that. I sold it and then lucked into a barely used MK25 (which is what I really wanted anyway) for $750.

The old 226
    Name:  P226.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  101.3 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

I was always amazed that the regular 92 didn't have a decocker (only) and dovetailed front sight, and it took Wilson and LTT to get that done.

The 228/229 has real fans, but I always found the 226 to be the better shooting pistol.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List