Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EDC holster w/ retention

EDC holster w/ retention

For the last decade or so I have used a Crossbreed leather/kydex holster for my M&P compact. Maybe 2 yrs ago seeing all the vicious knockdown crap happening on the news I started thinking about a positive retention. So I removed the kydex and screwed on a Serpa holster which has been my edc since. I like it but can see some validity in dislike for the Serpa release system using the trigger finger. So I keep looking. There are a lot of duty holsters w/ retention but they usually ad 1/2 to 3/4 inch of thickness which isn't edc friendly. I tried a Safariland GLS w/ the little lever positioned below the pistol trigger guard. I like that concept but the execution gives me w/ a somewhat overall flimsy feeling. And the release lever feels like pushing against a piece of foam rubber w/ no real indication if it is releasing or not. Have any of you come across a holster like I want?

"It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    For the last decade or so I have used a Crossbreed leather/kydex holster for my M&P compact. Maybe 2 yrs ago seeing all the vicious knockdown crap happening on the news I started thinking about a positive retention. So I removed the kydex and screwed on a Serpa holster which has been my edc since. I like it but can see some validity in dislike for the Serpa release system using the trigger finger. So I keep looking. There are a lot of duty holsters w/ retention but they usually ad 1/2 to 3/4 inch of thickness which isn't edc friendly. I tried a Safariland GLS w/ the little lever positioned below the pistol trigger guard. I like that concept but the execution gives me w/ a somewhat overall flimsy feeling. And the release lever feels like pushing against a piece of foam rubber w/ no real indication if it is releasing or not. Have any of you come across a holster like I want?
    N82 sells a twist release holster that might work for you.

https://n8.crossbreedholsters.com/pr...ofessional-g2/

Their older model was like this:

They’re now owned by crossbreed but I think the link above is the similar new version.

Check out the Blackhawk L2C holsters. Nothing with good retention is super thin but these are pretty darn good.
    https://www.blackhawk.com/holsters/t.../P1621646.html

I found the Safariland 637 concealment holster to be very sturdy and comfortable. I prefer a vertical draw but this was easy to use. Here's the Link
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Are you trying to carry IWB or OWB? I’m assuming the former and strong side for both?

There’s a G-Code style level 1 retention hood/thumb release out there that some makers add to typical kydex pancake holsters. I’d think that getting it snug against the body would lead to poking, though, as the mechanism juts out from the holster on the body side. This is an OWB example but I think the odd IWB application may be out there: https://www.tier1concealed.com/colle...16890071908423

There’s always traditional leather thumb break holsters, which can be found in IWB configurations in addition to the usual OWB pancake. This Galco is just one example but there are a lot of leather options out there. https://www.galcogunleather.com/summ...html?filters=1

I’d also suggest looking at AIWB without retention. Just the location of the gun on your body makes loss of the gun in a shuffle or fall less likely in addition to making it much easier to protect against grabs. I think ECQC classes have provided plenty of data showing people carrying primarily AIWB getting knocked on their asses and not losing the gun (at least not due to the fall…).

Guys, I am sorry, I should have specified OWB. I will look at the links you have posted though. Elwin I have thought about thumb brake style. I have an old nylon holster I picked up somewhere in a box. I will get it out and consider that style although not that holster.

Guys, I am sorry, I should have specified OWB. I will look at the links you have posted though. Elwin I have thought about thumb brake style. I have an old nylon holster I picked up somewhere in a box. I will get it out and consider that style although not that holster.
    No problem. If I was looking for a slim concealable OWB holster, and wanted retention not so much for defending against active gun grabs as for keeping the gun holstered during movement of any kind, I'd probably lean towards a quality leather thumb break holster. These are very easy to find from a number of manufacturers. If you just want to try out the style, I'd suggest grabbing a Galco Fletch or a DeSantis Speed Scabard as something that ships quickly and doesn't require custom leather amounts of money (or at least the DeSantis doesn't...). If the style works for you, I'd use that holster and maybe consider investing the cash and wait time for something similar from the likes of Mitch Rosen or some other high end leather holster source I'm not thinking of right now.

Unfortunately the Safariland 637 is still not available for the M&P.

Quote Originally Posted by Elwin View Post
    There’s a G-Code style level 1 retention hood/thumb release out there
    I have a G-Code holster with their retention hood. This holster is several years old, and I have no idea if they've improved on the design or not. That said, the hood on my holster is halfway useless. It pops open easily with incidental contact with other gear or what have you. Pushing down on any part of the hood lets you rotate it. If someone is going for a gun grab, their hand is naturally placed in a way that automatically defeats the retention. Not a design I would recommend.
    IDPA SSP classification: Sharpshooter
    F.A.S.T. classification: Intermediate

User Tag List