Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thread 14” 870 for Choke Tubes… Any Negatives?

Thread 14” 870 for Choke Tubes… Any Negatives?

So, I sort of did this a little backwards, but figured I’d ask…

I Form 1ed my TAC-14, which is on its way back from being refinished. We used to have 14” 870s at work, but the Field Office pulled them in their unquestionable wisdom. Being I loved that gun, figured I’d do my own take on it.

Magpul furniture, Inforce WML, +1 extension and Remington 14” barrel with XS sights. We had Ghost Ring sights on the work guns, but think they had the same fixed choke as mine. Changed out the side-saddle to a Velcro setup (used to be a TacStar) and now have a direct QD point at the interface with the stock and receiver. I also got a +2 extension and 18.5” barrel in case I ever wanted to run the gun as a normal shotgun without the NFA headache. This also gives me another 870 size, as I have a 20” 870P… then the longer barreled 11-87s that I used for hunting.

The TAC-14 had that crappy matte Remington finish prior to going bankrupt. You know… rusts if you look at it wrong. Barrels and extensions had actual Parkerizing, but even though I bought the 14” barrel new, it was all marked up prior to arriving. Picture was to show the front sight… but some of the marks that came on that barrel new.

I get that guns become banged up with use… but rather I be the one to put the marks on it instead of the factory or someone in shipping.

Sent the bolt parts and shell lifter to CCR for CPII and the rest of the larger metal parts went to VT to Greg at American Bluing for Parkerizing. I used Greg prior for my WASR and Remington Model 7 and was very pleased with his work. And the cost is pretty affordable… and it’s shocking with how well his work is. Once I get it back, I’ll build it up as the 18.5” shotgun and then send to Tar Heel for the engraving.

So the 18.5” barrel is threaded for choke tubes. The 14” has a fixed modified choke. Zero issue with that choke when it was a braced TAC-14. Considering I just had the barrel Parkerized… should I send it to Steve Rose and have it threaded for REM chokes? Anyone know Parkerizing better than me, and foresee any issues arising from that work? Unsure if the threading would mess up the finish, but think it would only happen where the threads are cut, which would be oiled/cleaned yearly.

Only negative I can find is the costs… which isn’t that bad. I standardized on REM chokes years back, to include what my Ithaca 37 has in it… after Steve shortened it to like 19” and threaded it for REM chokes (was an Ducks Unlimited gun that I used as a donor for the stock to replace my dad’s cracked one). Have the tubes to support it, but may buy a duplicate if I find one that works better.

Positives… better flexibility with patterns. Not stuck with the one choke. I’m still up in the air with it, but was considering a shotgun suppressor (Salvo 12), which the threaded 14” barrel would be good for it. That would be an investment down the line… if I do it.

Obviously, I doubt anyone has threaded a barrel for choke tubes and been unhappy with it (unless the gunsmith screwed up). Anyone feel it is a waste of time in a SBS? I know I’ve seen pictures online of a guy turkey hunting with his SBS. I doubt I’d do something like that… maybe take it trap shooting for s***s/giggles.

Or should I just leave well enough alone and be happy with the shotgun? It will be a defensive shotgun, so I necessarily don’t need all the bells/whistles. How it will be setup likely will be more than adequate.

Tag.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Site Supporter
    I like chokes because it allows me to practice more meaningfully with cheap birdshot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by nalesq View Post
    I like chokes because it allows me to practice more meaningfully with cheap birdshot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    For a fighting gun, I say no in regard to threading it. It's generally not required IF your gun patterns well. If the gun patterns like shit then either you replace the barrel or attempt to remediate the issue with chokes. Given what the federal flight control wad can do with an IC or Mod choke, I don't really see much of a reason to go in any other direction. Chokes generally stay put but its one other piece of the puzzle that i'd rather not have on a fighting gun. Once again, provided that the gun patterns and shoots the way I want it to.

I'm in the same boat. I want to do an SBS setup and I want to throw a can on it. This means i'm going to have to get whatever 14 inch barrel I end up with threaded for chokes. I'm curious to see how this ends up!

Mind if I ask how much the CPII cost? Did you send them the entire assembly and they will disassemble it and work on what needs to be plated? Or, did you send them random parts in a ziplock bag? I'm not entirely sure what they're coating and what they're not coating. Is that up to them or did you specify?

Quote Originally Posted by Magsz View Post
    Mind if I ask how much the CPII cost? Did you send them the entire assembly and they will disassemble it and work on what needs to be plated? Or, did you send them random parts in a ziplock bag? I'm not entirely sure what they're coating and what they're not coating. Is that up to them or did you specify?
    I unfortunately cannot answer cost, being I sent the parts with my disassembled LCP Max and magazine bodies.

I disassemble everything, being it is just easier for me that way. Plus, with the handgun… no expensive shipping. If they have to disassemble, likely the price is higher (time equals money). CCR has a work order on their website, which I just list everything I send and tell them what to do. Put everything in a ziplock bag, bigger parts I wrap in bubble wrap.

For the bolt… I disassembled it and sent everything shy of springs and the extractor. I’ve used CCR for years… like 2010 timeframe. They have told me that plating the extractor is fine, but I just don’t trust it. Also sent the shell lifter. Running the parts thru my head and looking at the website… I’d be shocked if it were more than $100. Picture for the end result…

For plating, they don’t do alloys. Mainly, they don’t strip anodizing. Shy of that, I send everything and if they can’t… they let me know. Didn’t know they couldn’t plate a brass bolt for my SUB-2000.

I’ve done multiple guns, bolts, magazines, clips, screws… etc. I had one issue with plating chipping on my old Glock 30S slide, and they redid it… zero issues after that. It’s a small business… the owners, Brad and Mary, are good people. The only time Robar got my business over CCR was with things they couldn’t do… like alloy frames.

Chokes on guns that will be used for a lot of shooting do add something to watch after, but if I had a fixed mod choke gun I would want removable choke tubes. Modified will generally affect FFC negatively, going to screw in chokes will allow for use of a cylinder bore choke with FFC, or fine tune for non-FFC loads.

I use an extended choke and then witness mark to keep an eye on it when shooting a lot.

Name:  IMG_0831.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  49.7 KB

If you're going to use FC, I would pattern it with the modified before I did anything else. If it patterns well, leave it. If it doesn't, I'd start by having it reamed to IC and pattern again. If you get the pattern you want, stop there.

If you want versatility to shoot anything, get it threaded for tubes. I own a lot of choke tubes, and I keep notes on which tubes to use with which shells. Patterns can be impressive, but my IC Benelli SN barrel shoots FC better than anything with a tube or other IC barrels.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Interesting thread!

I posted here with questions about the choke on my 14" SBS.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....-a-Choke/page2

The barrel on my Tac-14 is cylinder bore. Running birdshot for training pretty much sucks past 15 yards, particularly on clays. To date cylinder bore see HAS patterned decent out to 15 yards with the low recoil Federal and Hornady buckshot I've tried. I'd opt for slugs quickly for distances beyond that.

Thinking there is a lot to gain here from threading it for adjustable chokes, just not certain which to use myself as a starting point. Also, as I posted in the other thread, any concerns with changes in choke (tighter) relative to the use of slugs?
    Last edited by the judge; 11-09-2023 at 06:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by the judge View Post
    Also, as I posted in the other thread, any concerns with changes in choke (tighter) relative to the use of slugs?
    I’ve shot slugs out of modified chokes… zero issues. The fins on rifled slugs allow for it to pass thru a choke.

I'm in the (minority) camp of: put dedicated buckshot chokes in them (specially as the barrel gets shorter), buy a variety of cheap(er) Federal (or other) buckshot loads and see what rocks to your specs.
    The buckshot chokes are getting better every few years and it's nice to launch your cheap real deal load even in practice.
    I understand those who stop at "flight control" (that's the easy button) but in the long term, I might want to also practice with my real load, The better buckshot chokes are (to me) a better bang for the buck option if they'll do the work required. More so if you load your own shotshells for fun and profit.

so,,, pick you're spot and enjoy it.

That said I have multiple barrels needing to be threaded but in my defense I'm supplying 3 daughters and (much lessor so) one son with firearms and ammo. That IS a major commitment in time and $$$
    But friends of mine rock some pretty long range buckshot patterns on my range but it involves quite a bit more time, effort, experimentation and money than buying a few cases of flite control and being happy.

User Tag List