Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Gen 5 trigger reset

Quote Originally Posted by leathermaneod View Post
    It was brand new. It may be kinda hard to tell in the picture, because there seems to be some wear on top of the marks I’m talking about, but they are very clean lines and are under the dlc coating.
    Wow.

If you show the Glock rep the same pictures you are showing us, I bet they'll send you a shipping label.

FWIW all Gen5s (most handguns really, I guess?) will develop some surface wear in that area of the slide during the first 100-200 rounds .. but nothing like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    You didn’t inspect the gun?
    I sure did, but obviously not well enough.

Quote Originally Posted by MTP View Post
    Wow.

If you show the Glock rep the same pictures you are showing us, I bet they'll send you a shipping label.

FWIW all Gen5s (most handguns really, I guess?) will develop some surface wear in that area of the slide during the first 100-200 rounds .. but nothing like that.
    Sadly, I sent the rep these pictures and more. He asked a bunch of questions about when i noticed them, and then sent the form to fill out and recommended I said it through an FFL.

As far as the surface wear, that doesn’t concern me at all. I’m really not concerned about the appearance. It’s the idea that I paid good money for this thing, it has an obvious defect, and they should make it right.

Btw, lest anyone think I’m looking for reasons to bash Glock, Glocks are the only pistols I own. I’m not a rich man and I can only really afford to have guns that are useful tools and I value simplicity and redundancy.

I have an update for anyone who is interested. Having received no reply to my last email stating my dissatisfaction with the reps unwillingness to furnish a shipping label, I decided to call Glock again. I spoke with a different rep this time and after hearing my problem, he stated that I could send the pistol in and they would have a look at it. I stated that I didn’t feel I should have to pay for shipping on a warranty issue with a new gun. He gave a kind of sigh like the cost of the label was coming out of his pocket, but said ok and got a label to me within a few minutes. My G26 was delivered to Glock today. I will update again when I have more info.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    letting the trigger all the way out and prepping to a point (prior to the break ) which you determine based on the trigger pull characteristics (weight, length) and/or shot difficulty.

There are variations, some people maintain contact with the trigger as they let it out, others take their finger completely off (aka The "flip and press").

It winds up being quicker, easier and more consistent than waiting for then feeling for the reset (aka "click bang"). Essentially "click bang" is putting the emphasis on the wrong part of the cycle. i.e. waiting on the gun as you let the trigger out to the felt reset vs getting ahead of the gun and prepping to set yourself up for the next shot sooner, rather than faster.

Prep also allows your firing hand / trigger finger to be more relaxed and less subject to trigger freeze when shooting quickly IME.
    First, I'm glad that Glock got you out a label...sometimes it just takes getting the right (or not getting the wrong) person on the phone to move things along.

Re: trigger work, one of my big "Aha!" moments in shooting was when Larry Vickers explained prepping vs. pinning the trigger. Like @HCM said, pinning the trigger while the gun cycles, then easing it forward to the reset is inefficient; the gun is out of commission while the slide cycles and the muzzle rises during recoil, and riding the reset only adds to that time once the gun returns to level. The way Vickers explained it was to relax the trigger finger during recoil (as opposed to actively trying to move it off the trigger), and allowing the trigger spring to push the trigger and your finger forward. If you do this in the dead time while the gun is moving through its recoil cycle, when the gun settles, you will be ready to break your next shot instead of having to then work through the release, feel the click, and at that point be ready to fire again.

Quote Originally Posted by Sero Sed Serio View Post
    The way Vickers explained it was to relax the trigger finger during recoil (as opposed to actively trying to move it off the trigger), and allowing the trigger spring to push the trigger and your finger forward.
    This is exactly my standard for a trigger spring that works for me. If it's too weak to push my bulky meathook forward during recoil, I just can't use it -- the Glock "performance trigger", for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mac View Post
    This is exactly my standard for a trigger spring that works for me. If it's too weak to push my bulky meathook forward during recoil, I just can't use it -- the Glock "performance trigger", for example.
    I appreciate all the advice. After fully disassembling and cleaning, I did some more shooting with my new Gen 5 19 today. Trying to put into practice the idea of lifting my finger and pressing to the wall again immediately without waiting for the reset. If I focus on trying to lift my finger and push it to the wall again immediately, I donÂ’t have any problems and I think I may have been shooting a little better at some moderate speed. Very subjective, but I was pretty happy with the 100 rds I fired. I still wish this trigger pushed forward a little more, but it seems like maybe it’s a good thing because it brought to light something I was doing wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Sero Sed Serio View Post
    First, I'm glad that Glock got you out a label...sometimes it just takes getting the right (or not getting the wrong) person on the phone to move things along.

Re: trigger work, one of my big "Aha!" moments in shooting was when Larry Vickers explained prepping vs. pinning the trigger. Like @HCM said, pinning the trigger while the gun cycles, then easing it forward to the reset is inefficient; the gun is out of commission while the slide cycles and the muzzle rises during recoil, and riding the reset only adds to that time once the gun returns to level. The way Vickers explained it was to relax the trigger finger during recoil (as opposed to actively trying to move it off the trigger), and allowing the trigger spring to push the trigger and your finger forward. If you do this in the dead time while the gun is moving through its recoil cycle, when the gun settles, you will be ready to break your next shot instead of having to then work through the release, feel the click, and at that point be ready to fire again.
    Thank you, this is very helpful!

User Tag List