Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Weak side holster for emergencies?

We're all going to be left-handed (or right) at some point in our lives.

A couple of years ago, I dedicated 6 months to carrying and doing everything left handed. Very informative. Most people spend a good bit of time WHO, but very little mirrored. I gleaned a lot of good information about shooting both left-handed and cross-eye dominant. Makes you more empathetic to new shooters. Ayoob advocated it as an exercise in instructing as well as a contingency preparation. You end up having to re-learn a lot of things that became automatic strong side.

Left-handed holsters tend to be easy to find deals on... as long as you're not in a hurry.

Anyone looking for a g19/g23 lh safariland paddle, lemme know.
    Pay for the shipping and it's yours.
    Pm please.

Chris
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Site Supporter
    In my peak training days, I took several classes with my other strong hand.

My RH holsters are black, LH are coyote, and Appendix are orange.

Training left handed helped me learn a bunch. I had a lot of malfunctions and couldn’t get the Glock to run right. Years later I learn my ulna doesn’t connect into my radius on left arm. I probably misnamed those bones, I am no doctor.

I would recommend the journey if you got times. Probably better off going for walks and preparing healthy meals.

I had surgery on my R shoulder a few years ago. The cheap plastic glock factory holster worked out fine (no optic in my case). I wore it on the strap for the brace and on my belt after the brace was gone. A factory cheap plastic mag carrier also worked fine on the belt behind the holster. FWIW the shoulder still doesnt work right 7 years later. High riding R hand holsters are difficult to not happening.

Name:  1019151214b.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  36.8 KB

In planning ahead for this I tried loading and handling revolvers, then compared to the g19. Despite being about a 95% revolver fan, the g19 was the easy answer to me. 2 1/2 to 3 x the ammo load before a reload is needed, one hand eject the empty mag, holster, insert fresh mag, unholster, drop slide release, good for another 15. Much easier than any way i could think of for reloading a revolver.

The plastic mag loader supplied with glocks worked fine to load mags sitting in a chair or whatever holding the mag between my knees and inserting rounds into the mag.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Site Supporter
    I'm RH. I keep a LH AIWB for my primary and a pocket holster for J-Frame's around just in case. I'll do a short dry fire session drawing from them maybe once a month.

LH owb glock 19 holster goes to @Bruce in WV
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

I totally agree with having at least one holster for off side carry on hand just in case. I had to have surgery for a right distal biceps repair a couple of years ago. The injury and surgery were totally unplanned. Could not use my right hand, which is my dominant hand, for quite a while. Fortunately, I have had training in WHO shooting and always put in a little practice in with it every time I went shooting. Also, fortunate was that I had a LH holster for a J Frame I carried sometimes as a back up. That worked well until I could order a LH AIWB Kydex holster for my Glock. Having an arm immobilized in a sling not only makes for a more appealing target, it also diminishes the ability to defend oneself.

I'm probably going to get trigger finger surgery on my right ring finger this coming summer, so the plan is to pocket carry my Model 10 snub on the sinister side.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    I don't think it's advocating two guns, but an alternative carry option if you are unable to carry strongside due to other issues (arm in cast, etc).

It makes sense but requires that you practice weak-hand shooting and even some drills at the range with the weak side holster to develop some muscle memory if you should have to resort to this mode.

Chris
    I agree whole heartedly and would take it a step further to dedicate 50% of your shooting to each side...

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    I agree whole heartedly and would take it a step further to dedicate 50% of your shooting to each side...
    50% is a bit much. Learn it, be proficient, but it's not something to spend a huge amount of time on unless you just want to

User Tag List