Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Weak side holster for emergencies?

I like that I can switch my Floodlight over if needed. Makes it as close to universal as I'll probably ever need.

Being a right handed shooter, I decided to do my last firearms instructor recertification with a left handed rig. I've been put on light duty before for injuring my firing hand... won't happen again.

@Mas has been writing about the wisdom of having a holster for one’s support side, for a very long time, multiple times.

The short, easy-button, quickly-obtainable hardware answer, at least for those of us who have pistols that accommodate WMLs, is the Phlster Floodlight, as already mentioned in a couple of replies. I simply do not remember my first “off-side” belt-level holster. The oldest that I remember are having mirror-image, left-and-right Galco holsters, of a disremembered model name, in the Nineties, and for Glocks, in the 2002-2004 time frame. I think that I gave these away, after I had moved up to better holsters.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Several (many!) years ago i was signed up for a 4 day handgun class and a week before the class I managed to severely sprain my right (strong side) wrist. In a brace, unable to grasp a gun. At the time I carried a Glock and I had Glock's plastic ambi holster and a couple of their mag pouches.

Name:  sportcombatholster_big_1_1_1_8.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  10.6 KB

Name:  magazinepouch_big_1_1_9.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  14.2 KB

Seriously, these are very durable and they work pretty good. I trim them to fit my belt and on the holster, I remove the excess part of the flaps. Small aside, I learned to do that after my dog chewed off a corner. Anyway, I switched the gear to be a left hander and shot the class that way. It was actually very beneficial to not just think about doing it as a lefty, but to actually practice it. Shooting, loading, clearing malfunctions, etc.

There are now more options for ambidextrous holsters than there were 10 years ago.

The RCS Gear Perun https://rcsgear.com/perun-strongside-owb-holster

and the Blade-Tech Total Eclipse 2.0 https://blade-tech.com/products/tota...odular-holster

are two that come to mind.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorsai View Post
    Several (many!) years ago i was signed up for a 4 day handgun class and a week before the class I managed to severely sprain my right (strong side) wrist. In a brace, unable to grasp a gun. At the time I carried a Glock and I had Glock's plastic ambi holster and a couple of their mag pouches.

Name:  sportcombatholster_big_1_1_1_8.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  10.6 KB

Name:  magazinepouch_big_1_1_9.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  14.2 KB

Seriously, these are very durable and they work pretty good. I trim them to fit my belt and on the holster, I remove the excess part of the flaps. Small aside, I learned to do that after my dog chewed off a corner. Anyway, I switched the gear to be a left hander and shot the class that way. It was actually very beneficial to not just think about doing it as a lefty, but to actually practice it. Shooting, loading, clearing malfunctions, etc.
    Normally, at least when comparing low priced products and mid priced products, one gets what one pays for. The holster and magazine pouch shown in this post are exceptions to that rule. They cost little but perform at least as well as mid-priced holsters.

The belt openings do need to be trimmed carefully to avoid scratching a belt.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

For carry, I have a weak pocket revolver.

A couple years ago, I had a right wrist sprain so I went full left handed for the Winter including shooting USPSA matches.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    I'm not sure about it reinforcing fundamentals and manipulations as you've reversed which hand is doing what. They'd likely be completely different motor programs.
    That's not entirely true. There are negative / positive flipping neurons in the brain that can switch. It's not completely different and there is crossover.

In addition to the lefty shooting, I recently switched my mouse hand to lefty (and the buttons reversed appropriately too) and that was interesting to adapt.

Paying it forward

Quote Originally Posted by CSW View Post
    Anyone looking for a g19/g23 lh safariland paddle, lemme know.
    Pay for the shipping and it's yours.
    Pm please.

Chris
    I have a NIB LH Safariland 5188-49-412 Springfield Armory 5” BBL w/ both paddle and belt systems, STX Plain, Lined, Black, XD Belt loop to pass along for free. I bought it when Mas’ article came out, but switched to Glocks soon after and its been gathering dust. Its yours if you’re a lefty, or want to have it for your weak side.

First PM with address gets it.
    Yankee refugee living in the free state of West Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by 1Rangemaster View Post
    FWIW, the Glock “Sport Combat” holster is an ambi. I’ll check when I get back to office for optic fit.
    The Sport Combat holster in not cut for an optic, but about 10 minutes with a box cutter, some fine sand paper and a bic lighter or hot knife made for a nice ambi holster for my Holosun 507 equipped G26. It rides in my car's emergency kit.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonshot View Post
    The Sport Combat holster in not cut for an optic, but about 10 minutes with a box cutter, some fine sand paper and a bic lighter or hot knife made for a nice ambi holster for my Holosun 507 equipped G26. It rides in my car's emergency kit.
    That's a good idea. Will you post a picture or message me one? Thank you.
    #cantstopthesignal
    --Jason--

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    I'm probably going to get trigger finger surgery on my right ring finger this coming summer, so the plan is to pocket carry my Model 10 snub on the sinister side.
    "Sinister side" is wordsmithing gold. Look at you, literate as s#!+

User Tag List