Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Weak side holster for emergencies?

Weak side holster for emergencies?

I recall an article (I think the author was Mas) several years ago recommending that handgun users have a holster for their off side in case their primary shooting hand/arm was incapacitated, but they still needed to carry a handgun. This sounds like a good idea. Maybe its time to buy a simple OWB G17 w/optic JMCK lefty for my various double stack 9mm Glocks...
    Yankee refugee living in the free state of West Virginia

I’ve kept LH holsters on hand for years. I think there’s a discussion here about it.

I can see that if your job or something has you going where you know there may be danger. But dang, carrying two pistols on my hips as edc?? No way for me. Besides the weight, that second pistol might hinder me getting my spare mag out of my left front pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    I can see that if your job or something has you going where you know there may be danger. But dang, carrying two pistols on my hips as edc?? No way for me. Besides the weight, that second pistol might hinder me getting my spare mag out of my left front pocket.
    I believe the context here is to have a mirror image set of your CCW gear in case your strong side cannot be used such as if you just had surgery on that arm, not carrying two pistols on your waist simultaneously.
    Last edited by WobblyPossum; 11-06-2023 at 08:48 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    I don't think it's advocating two guns, but an alternative carry option if you are unable to carry strongside due to other issues (arm in cast, etc).

It makes sense but requires that you practice weak-hand shooting and even some drills at the range with the weak side holster to develop some muscle memory if you should have to resort to this mode.

Chris

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    I believe the context here is to have a mirror image set of your CCW gear in case your strong side cannot be used such as if you just had surgery on that arm, not carrying by two pistols on your waist simultaneously.
    Beat me to it while I was typing.

Chris

Ah, thanks guys. I will try to finish my coffee before posting from now on. I think I have been reading too many western novels recently where a cross draw second gun is popular.

Aside from having the ability to carry on your non-dominant side you should possess the practiced skill to draw with your non-dominant hand from your dominant side holster.

Mags did suggest it in print…

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce in WV View Post
    I recall an article (I think the author was Mas) several years ago recommending that handgun users have a holster for their off side in case their primary shooting hand/arm was incapacitated, but they still needed to carry a handgun. This sounds like a good idea. Maybe its time to buy a simple OWB G17 w/optic JMCK lefty for my various double stack 9mm Glocks...
    Yes, it was an old Handgunner article, I believe. Haven’t looked at it in awhile, but I believe Mas had broken several fingers in his primary hand, and took a class “wrong handed”. He advocated shooting a class or qual w/the usual support hand as a way of empathizing with new students. I have also read somewhere that running a piece mirror image, as it were, reinforces fundamentals and manipulations. I’m not sure about that; I’ll let someone smarter like @John Hearne hopefully comment.
    I do know that after shoulder surgery years ago I ran strong side only for a few weeks, and noted improvement.
    FWIW, the Glock “Sport Combat” holster is an ambi. I’ll check when I get back to office for optic fit.

I have 3 options.

Desantis Nemesis (ambi) for an LCP.

An AIWB from Darkstar for my J-frame that is easily switched to LH.

A LH knock off for a P2000Sk.

The first 2 just happen to be ambi, the last one was courtesy of a forum member.
    Taking a break from social media.

User Tag List