Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where is the best place to sell my guns?

Where is the best place to sell my guns?

I’m trying to sell some pistols so that I can upgrade to better ones. Is there a good site that will help me get a good price besides gunbroker?

You could also check CDNN, JG, Bud's, or AIM for a general idea of what things are generally running for these days.

A browse around your local gunshops is also worthwhile. You can not only see what similar things are going for, but also what is commonly available. So, if you are wanting to sell something that everyone has a lot of, you shouldn't expect too much.

And as a rule, 'cheap' guns tend to not get as much as the more 'normal' guns on the used market.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

I find that a private local sale, face-to-face if possible, will net you the most.

Consignment pays well but can take a while.

gunbroker.com and similar are OK if you're willing to deal with their policies.

Trading is the least lucrative.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

GunsInternational.com can be good if it's more of a collector type item.

https://www.webuyguns.com/

I have used them a few times. You won't get top dollar because they are a dealer and trying to make a profit, but it's an option.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

I hesitated to post this because it’s embarrassing to me. I got a call from my FFL the other day. He received a trace request on a firearm that I purchased. I sold said firearm several months ago, face to face, to a local gentleman through ARMSLIST. Seemed like a standup guy and I’m sure he was. I’m going to assume that he sold it to someone else shortly after. Who knows where it went after that. I’m sure I’ll receive a call or visit in the near future. I don’t believe I’ll be selling anything from now on unless it goes through an FFL transfer.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    I find that a private local sale, face-to-face if possible, will net you the most.
    A year or two ago I decided I wanted some different things (including a Dillon RL1100) and purged a lot of stuff. I managed to do all of it without selling anything to anybody that wasn't at least a friend of a friend (or a well-established member/admin of P-F). I just put the word out and worked on it for a while.

Another thing is if you are realistic about what stuff costs. Seems like locally people will go pay retail at one of the more expensive stores in town, and then when they go to try and sell it they are upside down, just like a car that has depreciated. In may case I am just realistic what I can get for stuff without holding out for top dollar, unless it is something that is special. Things that are available and can still be purchased new are simply commodities and will likely have depreciated some.

So I typically go look at https://www.wikiarms.com/ .

Site Supporter
    I did some business with one of the major sellers on Gunbroker recently. They helped me sell a few guns, and they were very efficient and made it easy on my end.

However, the experience made it obvious that this is not the best market for selling used guns. You will not get the prices you would have just a year or two ago, even on higher end stuff. So unfortunately you need to be prepared to take a loss unless you are lucky or selling a special item that is in demand.

@APPDMike you might consider getting a Site Supporter membership here and listing them in the "For Sale or Trade" sub-forum. You might be surprised what people here want.
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Site Supporter
    Most everything I've sold has been via consignment at a local gun store I frequent. One 1911 took close to a year to sell, but it was a hassle free experience. I've sold other guns via forums and Gunbroker. I got my local FFL to ship those for me, which simplified things.

User Tag List