Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Injury from firing artillery

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by PNWTO View Post
    Sample size of one but the M777 brake did a much better job of uprooting brush during direct fire than the brake on the M198.
    We went to the direct fire range once while I was in the 8" battery. They were fired without putting the spade down, using charge 7 (max charge). The front of the track would come off the ground at firing, and a direct hit on the hulks downrange resulted in occasional pieces of those hulks sailing that 1000 meters or so back to the firing line. It was awesome.
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

I did 10 years in artillery, both towed 198s and SP M109A6 Paladins. The amount of fire missions they put up for that fight is astounding. Makes me wonder if the concussive effect is amplified within the confines of an armored hull or lesser given the muzzle brake blast isn't hittiing you like it would standing outside on the gun line. That muzzle blast pressure you can feel in your whole body if you're standing in the wrong spot.

Certainly wearing combat vehicle crew helmets with the nice gel earpiece headsets was better than the plain ear plugs.
    Last edited by EMC; 11-06-2023 at 11:32 AM.

Damn.

Just saw another burn pit syndrome patient today myself. And there's still so much that we have to learn regarding this, as well as what happened at Ground Zero in 2001.

Those Wars are turning out to be a lot more costly then we were led to believe initially.

I imagine this spurring a contract for autoloading remote systems in the future. Something the US has historically avoided for its cannon artillery. Crusader program resurrection.

User Tag List