Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shooting left with G19

Shooting left with G19

So today I pulled out my G19 after a long break from shooting it. I kept hitting to the left of the bullseye and couldn't figure out why. I'm a righty and know that this can happen to right handed shooters when they're using too little trigger finger - this was not the case. Then on my last mag, I said screw it...I stopped trying so hard for the perfect grip and bam...bullseye...bam...bam...bam...all center mass hits. I realized that I loosening up my support hand did the trick. I feel like I was gripping too tightly with my support. Has anyone had this happen to them? Not even sure how this makes sense. All the advise I hear on YouTube is to "death grip" the pistol with both hands.
    NOT the YouTuber by the same name.

Quote Originally Posted by HammerStriker View Post
    So today I pulled out my G19 after a long break from shooting it. I kept hitting to the left of the bullseye and couldn't figure out why. I'm a righty and know that this can happen to right handed shooters when they're using too little trigger finger - this was not the case. Then on my last mag, I said screw it...I stopped trying so hard for the perfect grip and bam...bullseye...bam...bam...bam...all center mass hits. I realized that I loosening up my support hand did the trick. I feel like I was gripping too tightly with my support. Has anyone had this happen to them? Not even sure how this makes sense. All the advise I hear on YouTube is to "death grip" the pistol with both hands.
    I don't death grip.

I did this example to show death grip isn't necessary for recoil control.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HammerStriker View Post
    Grip pressure (too much or two little) with either hand or the ratio between the two can affect POI. Where and how hard to grip will vary slightly from person to person and between different guns/grips for each person.

That said, regarding your trigger finger comment:

I’m usually a big believer in Army AMU’s “natural lay of the finger” concept i.e. let the finger fall where it naturally falls when you grip the gun properly and adjust as needed so you pull the trigger straight to the rear.

As long as you are pulling the trigger straight back trigger finger placement doesn’t matter. Those old wheel charts etc from the one handed bullseye shooting days are BS.

Glocks with stock triggers are a little unique because the shape of the trigger (as viewed from above) is round rather than flat, and this is exacerbated by the trigger safety tab.

As such, for myself I can shoot stock Glocks fine with either the tip of the trigger finger (less) or the first crease (more).

If I use the pad of the finger, I wind up engaging the trigger safety tab and left side of the trigger (as viewed from the top) which results in pulling from 10 o’clock to 4 o’clock instead of straight back along a 12 o’clock to 6 o’clock axis.

More finger normally means more leverage and works better for most people ( including me) when shooting stock Glocks at speed.

Avoiding all of the above is why flat replacement triggers are so popular on Glocks.

That begs another question: has anyone swapped the factory flat trigger from the Factory Glock Performance Trigger onto a standard trigger bar for use with stock Glock internals ?

I have the same issue that I have not been able to correct.

I dont do this with other pistols only Glock.

Would love to figure out what it is that I do wrong when shooting Glocks.

Site Supporter
    I shoot glocks in all forms so consistently to the left by about 1-2” at 25 yards that I just resorted to drifting the rear sight to the right.

Quote Originally Posted by fixer View Post
    I shoot glocks in all forms so consistently to the left by about 1-2” at 25 yards that I just resorted to drifting the rear sight to the right.
    I've done that on a couple of my Glocks, but it always triggers my OCD.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

I find I need to sink a bit more finger into the trigger guard with stock Glock's vs. other designs. I have large hands with long fingers. For me, I use the spot that would be between the rear of the pad and the first knuckle crease. But that's my hands.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    I’m usually a big believer in Army AMU’s “natural lay of the finger” concept i.e. let the finger fall where it naturally falls when you grip the gun properly and adjust as needed so you pull the trigger straight to the rear.
    Agreed.

OP: Do this dry for 5 minutes/day for two weeks and report back.

In terms of not shooting left at speed with a Glock, the most important thing I need to do doesn't involve my trigger finger placement or grip pressure -- it is extending both my arms fully.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Another potential issue on Glocks specifically is the base of the trigger finger touching the frame. When pulling the trigger, the muscle at the base of your trigger finger flexes and can press on the frame.
    How much of an effect this can cause is anyone's guess but, I've found it seemed to be an issue for me. It's probably debateable whether it's merely a symptom or an actual cause.

In contrast, take an HK P30, for example. It has a nicely beveled and smooth relief cut in this same area of the frame such that it's quite easy to avoid applying pressure or even touching it with the base of your trigger finger.

Combine this with the issue HCM described of effectively pulling at an angle on the side of the trigger as opposed to straight back, and it's pretty easy to consistently push shots left.
    It can be quite maddening, especially when you see yourself shooting a tight group that is ALWAYS consistently left of center.
    In addition to HCM's recommendations, also take a sec to check if the base of your trigger finger is touching the frame. If so, try bringing your trigger finger out just a bit to clear the frame and see if that helps.
    Administrator for PatRogers.org

User Tag List