Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shooting left with G19

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    In terms of not shooting left at speed with a Glock, the most important thing I need to do doesn't involve my trigger finger placement or grip pressure -- it is extending both my arms fully.
    I first noticed that to be true for me when shooting Glock pistols. Over time, I have recognized that it is equally important with any handgun platform I shoot.

Site Supporter
    1. Trigger finger placement such that my right trigger finger "bicep" is not pressing on the frame

2. Press the trigger straight back

3. I have found that shooters generally shoot better with as little noise as possible such that I am big on using both ear plugs and electronic muffs over said plugs

4. Rear sign placement default is 1 credit card width to the right at more than one agency range in the country.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig_Fiend View Post
    Another potential issue on Glocks specifically is the base of the trigger finger touching the frame. When pulling the trigger, the muscle at the base of your trigger finger flexes and can press on the frame.
    How much of an effect this can cause is anyone's guess but, I've found it seemed to be an issue for me. It's probably debateable whether it's merely a symptom or an actual cause.

In contrast, take an HK P30, for example. It has a nicely beveled and smooth relief cut in this same area of the frame such that it's quite easy to avoid applying pressure or even touching it with the base of your trigger finger.

Combine this with the issue HCM described of effectively pulling at an angle on the side of the trigger as opposed to straight back, and it's pretty easy to consistently push shots left.
    It can be quite maddening, especially when you see yourself shooting a tight group that is ALWAYS consistently left of center.
    In addition to HCM's recommendations, also take a sec to check if the base of your trigger finger is touching the frame. If so, try bringing your trigger finger out just a bit to clear the frame and see if that helps.
    This is usually referred to as "bicep-ing" ; IME it mostly effects people with small to medium size hands.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I've done that on a couple of my Glocks, but it always triggers my OCD.
    My ocd was triggered by the leftward bias on my groups. Lol.

Seriously drove me bsc.

Quote Originally Posted by fixer View Post
    My ocd was triggered by the leftward bias on my groups. Lol.

Seriously drove me bsc.
    Touche'
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by HammerStriker View Post
    So today I pulled out my G19 after a long break from shooting it. I kept hitting to the left of the bullseye and couldn't figure out why. I'm a righty and know that this can happen to right handed shooters when they're using too little trigger finger - this was not the case. Then on my last mag, I said screw it...I stopped trying so hard for the perfect grip and bam...bullseye...bam...bam...bam...all center mass hits. I realized that I loosening up my support hand did the trick. I feel like I was gripping too tightly with my support. Has anyone had this happen to them? Not even sure how this makes sense. All the advise I hear on YouTube is to "death grip" the pistol with both hands.
    Just aim a little to the right then... bullseye. Was that so hard???

The trick is to make the trigger break without pushing the muzzle left.
    Well, you may be a man. You may be a leprechaun. Only one thing’s for sure… you’re in the wrong basement.

Quote Originally Posted by JRV View Post
    The trick is to make the trigger break without pushing the muzzle left.
    Exactly! Or pulling it left...

It has to do with how the pistol is gripped. I noticed that I have this issue on my Gen 3 but not my Gen 5. I use the Gen 5 without any back strap, so the grip is smaller. I also don't have this problem with the Gen 3 G26. Something about the Gen 3 mid and full sized grips doesn't agree with me.

I don't have this issue with any other pistols, have shot/owned dozens.
    NOT the YouTuber by the same name.

Site Supporter
    I've been a shooter for 40+ years but just bought my first two Glocks in the last year. I first bought a G45 and replaced the plastic OEM sights with Ameriglo Hackathorns with the rear sight centered in the dovetail, and it was dead nuts on. A few months ago I bought a G19 with the factory-installed Ameriglo sights and it shot a bit to the left, so I tapped the rear sight a bit to the right to center the shots. It's almost imperceptible. I use the medium backstrap with both.

I really don't see the issue here, other than some folks' OCD (lookin' at you, @blues ). The dovetails are there for a reason. We might as well use them.
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

User Tag List