Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DeFoor sight feedback/RFI?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by camsdaddy View Post
    For those using these are you shooting them as they come or do you paint the front sight?
    I use them as is.
    "Knowledge is good." Emil Faber, date unknown.

Would the wide rear notch and narrow front sight of these sights make a difference with sight radius? For instance, would the sight picture have light bars that are perhaps be a little wide and imprecise using them on a G34?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    I had a set of these sights once—on a G43, If I recall correctly—but my eyes have changed several times since then. Any thoughts on these things for a plain black steel set? Enough light on each side of the post, etc.?

Any opinions pro/con welcome.

Thanks gang.
    If your eyes are still good enough for black on black sites, they’re awesome.

However, wide notch or not, those days are over for me without glasses.

Even with glasses, I prefer a high, visibility or fiber optic front site if going irons. So paint /nail polish on the front would be mandatory.

Before my eyes got older/transitioned everything to red dot. These were the onlt glock sights I used.

I really appreciate all the feedback, folks. I was a fan of these sights back in the day, but I’ve since gone blind and back, so it’s nice to reinsert myself into the stream and get some current feedback. I picked up a set for my G43, and I’ll see how they treat me. I also have a G26MOS to play with now, courtesy of another esteemed member, so I’m finally going headfirst down the dot rabbit hole as well.

Looks like I’m on a sighting hejira.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Sig_Fiend View Post
    They're great bang for the buck. They are factory height, so they are fairly short, which may or may not be problematic for you.
    The front is .115" wide and the rear is a .150" notch, which is decently wide and leaves quite a bit of light on either side.

In comparison, Trijicon HD's are a .144" wide front and .169" rear notch which is certainly easier to see but also 3x the price.

I usually shoot them as-is. If you do paint the front, do a coat of white, let it cure, and then do a coat of orange.
    The white base layer really helps it pop; at least I think so! Sharpie paint pens work great for this. Personally, I like to use the fine tip pens.

Here's an old pic that's about the best I could take of a stock set of Ameriglo Defoors (GT-504). Simple and effective.

Attachment 111121

If you end up looking for other sights, common widths you'll find for the front are roughly: .125", .140", .160". For the rear notch: .140", .150", .160", .180".
    Putting it in perspective, most tritium sights on the market are usually a .125" wide front, or ~.140" like the Trijicon HD's.
    If you find those ~.115-.125" sizes are still a bit hard for the eyesight, stepping up to a ~.140" wide front is noticeably more visible.

About the widest I've seen are the Trijicon DI's, which are a .160" wide front and .169" rear notch. I can't find it at the moment but, from either Trijicon or Ameriglo, I could have sworn I saw a .180" rear notch option. Regardless, there are lots of options.
    Any chance you know off hand which rear sights have a .140 rear notch? Double points if they are tritium. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post
    Any chance you know off hand which rear sights have a .140 rear notch? Double points if they are tritium. Thanks.
    Your best bet is probably Dawson Precision. They have several rear sight styles and have a bunch of configurations for Glock with either .135", .140", or .145" (among others) rear notches. For tritium ones, it looks like for most of the configurations they want you to call in since it might be a one-off job (which they do). They're great to deal with.

I could have sworn I've seen at least one or two other companies making some close to ~.140", give or take .005", but can't find them now. A quick glance at Warren, Heinie, and Ameriglo shows that most bracket this range at ~.125-.130" on the low end and .150-.156" on the high end for the next closest sizes. Warren has at least one .130" but most of theirs are .150". Ameriglo has a fair number at .150", though many of the tritium ones are .165". Heinie's short MOS tritium sight is .156", and most of their others are .125".
    Administrator for PatRogers.org

I really appreciate all the feedback, folks. I was a fan of these sights back in the day, but I’ve since gone blind and back, so it’s nice to reinsert myself into the stream and get some current feedback. I picked up a set for my G43, and I’ll see how they treat me. I also have a G26MOS to play with now, courtesy of another esteemed member, so I’m finally going headfirst down the dot rabbit hole as well.

Looks like I’m on a sighting hejira.
    I was irons, went dot for years, and am back at irons.

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    I was irons, went dot for years, and am back at irons.
    Wait… Can you flesh that particular de-transitioning out for us? Just curious.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Wait… Can you flesh that particular de-transitioning out for us? Just curious.
    Of course. I love dots on guns, it makes it much easier to shoot more accurately, for me, especially past 25 yards. After years, on a whim, I decided to buy a p2000 and run it with the factory dead night sights that came on it. I found that for most of my shooting, 25 yards and in, unless it was a pure accuracy drill (b8s at 25 or such) my accuracy didn't suffer much, if at all, and my times were about as fast. I am probably an average or above average shooter for this forum, being able to hold me own with many I have shot with from here for reference (besides SLG, he is by far the best pistol shooter I have been around.) The side benefits of a iron sighted gun were obvious to me also, I could carry a bigger gun 100% of the time with irons, I couldn't do the same with a red dot, even a rmr. I'm 180ish and 5 foot 9, weightlifting build, so I can make a red dot work but it does print for me in situations or clothing where a iron sighted p2000 never does (p2000sk printing with a rmr sized optic in the same holster and clothes.) So I made a decision to put a bigger gun and concealment first, some people don't or can make red dots work for 100% of their clothing and blend in, more power to them. I also don't switch guns anymore, I have carried the p2000 from that day I shot it until about 5 minutes ago when it went on my nightstand.

I have also had red dots from trijicon, aimpoint, and holosun either show up not working or broke with little use. Maybe I'm getting old but for right now, I can still see my iron sights and I'm about as good. With all of this said, I plan on spending next year with a ltt p30 with a eps carry 6 moa dot on it... smaller optic should mean better concealment? At least that is my theory.

P.S The eps carry optic window is about as big or bigger than the rmrs window because the bottom deck doesn't block the window like the rmr.

User Tag List