Thread: Questions about cutting semiauto and inertia shotgun barrels

Questions about cutting semiauto and inertia shotgun barrels

So it appears most 18.5"-21" HD type barrels (new or used) for the Remington 1100 and Stoeger M3000 are more expensive than the basic 26"-30" bird hunting barrels.

Where is the point where I'd need to start looking at the gas system of the 1100? Can I cut a 28" 1100 barrel to 20" and probably not have any issues?

Even though the inertia driven shotguns don't have a gas system to worry about is there point where cutting one down creates function issues?

Thanks!
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Back in the 1970s, I cut an 1100 12 ga, to 18”. I used a # drill bit set to enlarge gas ports a little. As I remember I checked to see what drill fit into the unaltered port and went a number size up. It cycled ok with buckshot.

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Even though the inertia driven shotguns don't have a gas system to worry about is there point where cutting one down creates function issues?

Thanks!
    I have an SBR Browning Auto5 at 14", no problems at all. However I have seen two Benelli M1s90's with the 14" entry barrels have multiple problems in a Louis Awerbuck 4 day class. Leads me to believe these things maybe be right on the edge.

As far as the gas guns go, Remington does sell that TAC13 version with a 13" barrel and people who have one tell me it runs fine with heavy loads.
    Support the Second Amendment Foundation and the Firearms Policy Coalition, join and give!

Thanks, I figured the load might make a difference in either case. Not planning on going SBS right now, but I'll keep that in mind.

I'd be curious what the gas port size difference is between the TAC13 barrel and a bird hunting barrel.

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

I am just speculating/talking out of my butt, but you probably already have the number drills, easy to just progress until it works the way you want.
    And a gun that works with bulk pack shells before it was shortened will might/probably still work with buckshot loads.

Site Supporter
    Cutting the 1100 barrel from long to short requires increasing diameter of the two gas bleed holes in the barrel. There are data on this topic. Brownell's sells the drills.

Long recoil Browning Auto 5's have a balanced system, and the weight of the barrel is part of the equation. Most likely increasing amount of oil on the mag tube will reduce friction enough for the gun to function. Too, setting up the ring system to eliminate braking by the copper ring will delete the grabbing action of ring to mag tube. I whacked an Auto 5 barrel, had reliability issues, called Browning, and got the above tips. Thing is that the gun kicked like hell.

Looks like any barrel cutting will be a future project. I went ahead and ponied up for a 21-22” rifle sight barrel that should be here soon™️.

I’ll be on the prowl for a backup 1100 so I’ll keep the information here in the back of my mind.

User Tag List